What's a polite way to refer to a snot rocket? (Read 1867 times)

I'm doing the final edits on my book, and my wife has a note that I should change the following phrase: "If you need to spit or blow a snot rocket, then make sure there is nobody around you or that you are on the side of the course. Pay attention to the wind; it can make it hard to miss people sometimes, including yourself." I can not for the life of me think of a clearer way of describing that in as few words when recommending that you avoid spitting on people. She seems to have a problem with the term "snot rocket." Help me out - how do you suggest that I word that?

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Fool

"If you need to spit or blow your nose," should cover it. I've also heard of it refered to as a 'farmer's blow', FWIW.
        Is there a contest? mucosal projectile mucus wad

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. Gotta call it a snot rocket. Well, that or a "Scout". Evil grin
          Scout7

Nope. Gotta call it a snot rocket. Well, that or a "Scout". Evil grin
            A "Scout break" is something entirely different. If you can pull one off while running, you're vastly more talented than any other man out there.
            JakeKnight

Probiscis projectile? Phlegmatic Nasal Expectorant? Ballistically Boosted Boogerage? Wait, here's a tame one: nasal discharge?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JakeKnight

Maybe Run2Win should use that pic in his book. As an example of improper technique.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Maybe Run2Win should use that pic in his book. As an example of improper technique.
                  How can you say that? He's not even doing a snot rocket - you can't tell if his technique for that is good or not from that pic?

"If you need to spit or blow your nose," should cover it.
                    While she got some good laughs after looking over this list, she says that she much prefers this to calling it a snot rocket. She also said that if I really wanted to call it a snot rocket then I could call it a snot rocket but that she didn't think that that was very polite. Maybe I'll take the middle ground and use both...

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The voice of mile 18

don't know why but I also know it as "gym teachers hankerchief"

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

dork.major dork.

I guess I have drastically different standards than some, but I don't find the term "snot rocket" impolite... the actual thing, with improper technique, can be downright rude and disgusting, but the term always just seemed... concise. oh well. the tomboy roots rise again.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Are you going to have two versions of the book (one with the snot rocket and one without)?

Vim

It seems from the consensus here that snot rocket is OK. Heck, we're runners. We talk about things coming out of our body with ease. The talking, I mean, with ease. Maybe you could describe the technique in case someone is plugged up and can't breathe through their nose and has no idea of how to dislodge the honker cement. BTW, I'm a reporter. You want someone to take a look-see, copy editing editing-wise, let me know.
                              Maybe "Booger Bazooka" would work better? Big grin