What's with the Japanese runners? (Read 1200 times)

The Greatest of All Time

That was a nice run. It was more of a sidewalk than a path. It is a 3 mile loop (5K). I stayed at the Tokyo Dome Hotel the last time I was there and ran from the hotel to the palace grounds and did one loop. My Garmin recorded that as 5.1 miles. It was September and the weather was a lot nicer to run in than my previous trip in July. I don't remember seeing anyone in full sweats and I can't imagine anyone running in Tokyo in the summer in full sweats. It is very hot and humid.
    I was staying about 1/2 mile from there and ran over there one morning around 4:00 am because I couldn't sleep. Needless to say I surprised every guard when I went running by. I think they had little guard shacks spread out about every 1/2 mile or so. Crazy gaijin I imagine they thought. I got the strangest looks. But it was even weirder in Horishima running at 5:00 am in a rain storm.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    obsessor

The last day I lived and worked in Oklahoma it was 112"F. Manual labor. Every worker wore gloves, boots, long pants, long white cotton shirts, and hats. Every worker was given 2 gallons of water in a jug in the morning, and 2 gallons for the afternoon (though you'd knock off at 2-3pm, starting before 6am on these days.) We were stupid - right? No. Getting sick from sun exposure is real, and dangerous in these conditions. The outside air is hotter than body temp, so you are protecting yourself from the heat, in a way. Picking up metal parts sitting out in the yard without thick metal gloves is a big no-no. I don't know how hot the parts got, exactly, but let's call it "real hot." Thick boots protect your feet. In fact, people from very hot climes tend to wear hats, long sleeves, and long pants. It is protection from the heat and the sun. They have learned through long experience and culture to protect themselves from the heat. Only idiot northerners think they will work outside in the sun all day in sandals, t-shirt, and shorts. We got used to it, and did not use the A/C much down there. Now, back up here in Minnesota, I have no A/C, and can see no reason for one. We have maybe two or three nights a year where it's about 80"F at 10pm, but it always cools off to about 70 by morning. Most warm summer days, of which we have few, are upper 80's to very-low 90's, and nights are mid-60's. NOthing to complain about. (well... check back with me come January, February, and March)
      obsessor

..little guard shacks spread out about every 1/2 mile or so. ...
        mmmm, little guard snacks.

running yogi

oh no, Nobby. I did not mean to generalize at all. I am sorry if it came out like that. this discussion started and i thought it was interesting that this lady i knew was japanese too. back home in india, where fair is prettier than tan, people never forget to cover up head to toe in light cotton clothing and ALWAYS carry an umbrella when they go out in the sun. also just like we have tanning lotions here in the west, back home we have "fairness creams"

Hawt and sexy

LOL, don't take is personally. Nobby just likes to stir the pot now and again. He keeps us on our toes.

I'm touching your pants.

oh no, Nobby. I did not mean to generalize at all. I am sorry if it came out like that. this discussion started and i thought it was interesting that this lady i knew was japanese too. back home in india, where fair is prettier than tan, people never forget to cover up head to toe in light cotton clothing and ALWAYS carry an umbrella when they go out in the sun. also just like we have tanning lotions here in the west, back home we have "fairness creams"
              RunZRun: It wasn't so much greared toward you--no, I didn't think you were trying to generalize things with n=1--but I've noticed quite often people don't quite read thoroughly (I, for one, am guilty as well) and THEY seem to jump to conclusion by reading half way into the post. Oh, shut up, Willamona! ;o)