I've signet up for my first race (4 km), and need some advice (Read 48 times)

SKT

I went for my first run 22.feb.2018, but haven't been running regularly for more than a good month. Until now I have only focused on increasing my mileage, and therefore I'm still really slow; it's like I only have one pace. And now I've signet up for a flat 4 km race on the 28th of august. This is a small, local event with dedicated runners, and I would really like to not finish last.

As of now I run 10 -12 km quite comfortably. My longest run have been 19 km, but then I did not enjoy the last 2-3 km. The only fast thing I've ever done was a 400 meter sprint (on track), which took me 1 minute and 12 seconds, and with 50 meters left I was sure I was going to die (I didn't).

So what should I be doing from now on? I realize speed work is key, but that's also where my knowledge ends.

T Hound

Slower but happier

hey congratulations.   Some more info will help with a suggestion.

What’s your km per week at now, and how many runs per week?

have you been doing other aerobic training ?

What age group?

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

SKT

I’m 30 years old. Last week I ran 40 km over 4 runs (8, 12, 5, 15).

I don’t do any other aerobic training except some hiking and cross country skiing in a more family friendly pace.

SMART Approach

You are really still in your aerobic development phase. Many newer runners think they always need more speedwork when in reality they need more aerobic development. Even a 4K is primarily an aerobic event so you don't need a bunch of anaerobic speed work on your miles. I would not do a bunch of structured speed work until you have 6 months of consistent running in or even 9 months. There are a couple thing you can do up until the race and after that will help and provide a nice transition to speed work down the road.

* 2 days a week mix in some striders during your run or over the last mile of your run. 15-30 sec where you gradually speed up to a fast pace, hold it 10 - 15 sec and ease back into a jog. Go fast but not too fast where you lose form. In fact, really focus on good form and breathing as you do these. Start with 4 and work up to 8 over upcoming weeks. The last 1 - 2 dig a litle more but not all out. Every 2 weeks, go find a hill and surge up for 4-6 reps 20-30 sec in place of striders. Walk or jog down.

* on one of your longer run days, finish stronger. Maybe start with last 1/2 mile and work up to faster finish over last mile or two as you get toward race day.  Push a bit when legs are getting tired. Go faster but not too fast. Also, it would be nice to have a long run course where you have hills to go up and down. This will help your strength and stamina development.

The purpose of above along with 8 more weeks of general aerobic running is to make you stronger and more fit, improve your leg turnover and running economy all of which will help you race better for your 4K and not jeopardize your aerobic development and keep you healthy.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

SKT

Thank you! I'll try to follow your suggestions.

Hills are no problem, we don't have anything else. I also live half way up a mountain, so I either start or finish with a rather long climb.