The essential thing is to run. Period. (Read 758 times)

Joann Y

Bernd Heinrich is one heck of an interesting guy.  He's written a whole ton of books on various nature topics.  My mom bought me "A Year in the Maine Woods" many years ago, and I thought "hmm, kind of a cool book."  His name came up again a couple of years ago and since then, I've been systematically reading my way thru everything my library has that he has written.  Most of it has been quite good, altho one or two have have been a little too much like a straight scientific study to really hold my interest.

Here's a link to all (or at least many) of his titles:  http://www.amazon.com/Bernd-Heinrich/e/B000APKZ2S

Thank you. That seems a worthwhile endeavor to work your way through his books. I've picked up "Why We Run" and can't wait to get into it. Do you have a favorite?

Joann Y

Caught this on Bill Dooper. Love it. His enthusiasm makes me love running even more.

jpdeaux

Great thread bump. I was just thinking about Bernd Heinrich and did not realize this video was out there.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Thanks Joann Y for bumping this thread. It has led me to a great writer. Just started reading The Trees in my Forest, and I really like his writing style. Next up will be Why We Run, I guess.

Joann Y

Thanks Joann Y for bumping this thread. It has led me to a great writer. Just started reading The Trees in my Forest, and I really like his writing style. Next up will be Why We Run, I guess.

I'm glad. And definitely read Why We Run, especially if you like his style. It's one of those books that sort of sticks in your mind. I keep thinking I want to read it again. Not only his ideas and observations about running and how it relates to animals and nature in general but the peek into the mind of an old fashioned science minded guy as well as the relating of his childhood.. all fascinating. And worth your time. I am currently reading The Snoring Bird. Hadn't heard of The Trees in my Forest, looks like a good read.

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Joann Y

You would think I would own a whole closet full of Salomon gear at this point (but alas, no). Was just reading about Pablo Vigil and found this little video and think it's great.

That was kinda beautiful

Runners run

kcam

Thanks for that last video.  Was going to do my normal government-issue flatland run along the Bay tomorrow morning but now I want to head up into the mountains for some joy.  For sure won't be rock-scrambling like those guys, though!

Joann Y

Thanks for that last video.  Was going to do my normal government-issue flatland run along the Bay tomorrow morning but now I want to head up into the mountains for some joy.  For sure won't be rock-scrambling like those guys, though!

Glad to hear. I got into a tiny bit of elevation gain yesterday too. Fun! but my trail eyes don't seem to be working well on the downhills. Either I'm getting old or I need to get on more downhills.

johnsmith1234567

spam
                          Irene Jacob

spam

Don't people write their own papers?

running metalhead

Crap, now I feel bad.

I also watched one with Kilian Jornet and I feel like some lazy bastard traitor because I decided to switch to road racing again.

Sad

In any case, trails here in the Netherlands suck and I'm a bit fed up of being the only poor guy among all the rest. I'll give it a rest for now. Next year after I run a decent 13 and 26 miler I'll be back.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)