DH wants to gain weight.....suggestions? (Read 454 times)

Cyberic

When I was in my early 20's I wanted to gain weight. 6'6" 175lbs. Wanted it for the looks. Skinny is not sexy in my mind. Especially at that age. So I started lifting heavy 4 times a week, about 1h30 every session. I gained a lot of strength, but little mass. I did gain some mass. The most I managed to weigh was 189lbs, after supper, that one time. I weighed over 185 regularily.

My uncle, who weighs over 250 lbs, told me that my liver would not last long because I was eating so much. People in the gym, guys with big muscles, told me I was not training properly. So I started training their way for a few months until they gave up. My muscles got stronger but not bigger.

Then people told me I'd start putting on weight when I'd hit 30. Nope. Then they told me it would happen around 40. Nope. I'm 45 now and weigh around 175. Of course I'm a runner now. At 42, before I started running, I was about 185. It was not the same 185 as in my 20s though. I had a small belly.

My point is that some people do not gain weight easily. I have had millions of tips and advice from people who know how I'm supposed to gain weight, but the reality is I have an ultra fast metabolism, and that's that.

I think that if your bf is anything like me, he could gain about 10 lbs of lean muscle mass from lifting heavy weights in a very regular schedule, but there are no miracles.

Now, at 45 and still 175 lbs, lost all the muscles long ago, I just have to eat a lot so I don't lose weight because now I'm running Smile

MTA: Of course there are ...pills or injections... that help change that. I hear those are pretty effective too. Never tried them myself though. Just stayed skinny.

I agree with the other poster.   The way many of us fellas seem to gain weight..

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

heelgrad92

Why does he want to gain weight?

What is his age?

Why ask this question in a running forum?

Additionally, Most people here are distance runners and are in the business of trying to be at his BMI.

I don't want to be at that BMI, I would look gaunt and ill all the time.  This guy weighs what I weigh when I'm just kicking around without a goal race in the near term, and I'm 5'8".  Even when I'm going into a marathon, I'm only 10 pounds lighter.  The equivalent of that weight for someone my height would be somewhere between 125-130, and I just can't imagine being or wanting to be that slight.

I will say that when I get into the last 12 weeks before a race and I want to Get to my racing weight, I start eating oatmeal for breakfast and I cut out cheese and ice cream, cheese especially.  So maybe do that in reverse.  Less fiber, more high fat dairy along with carbs should help.

On the other hand, after 14 marathons and many 2,000+ mile years, I still weigh exactly what I weighed when I was in high school, so it may just be what it's going to be regardless.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't want to be at that BMI, I would look gaunt and ill all the time.  This guy weighs what I weigh when I'm just kicking around without a goal race in the near term, and I'm 5'8".  Even when I'm going into a marathon, I'm only 10 pounds lighter.  The equivalent of that weight for someone my height would be somewhere between 125-130, and I just can't imagine being or wanting to be that slight.

I think you just said I look gaunt and ill.

6'1", 155ish.

slugbug

He should be getting at least his body weight in grams of protein.  As a guy, and wanting to gain weight, he should be getting 2 times his body weight in grams of protein.  Does he have a good clean protein shake?  Something that does not have fake sugar or soy protein?  He should be getting whey protein.  The body can feed the growing muscles with whey.  Free weights and body weight exercise will work for him.  If he can do pullups, pushups for triceps and chest, deep squats, and eat a good amount of protein, he should be able to gain good clean muscle without a layer of fat

lift heavy, and limit cardio to 20mins 3x a week.

there's a reason bodybuilders tend to not overdo it on the cardio...

if he's a runner, I'd lift on non running days, and eat some protein post lifting.

300m- 37 sec.

Nothing like reviving an old thread, but the subject might be of interest to somebody else.

Thyroid problems can cause a person to lose weight no matter how much they eat.  It's something that doctors know how to diagnose and treat.  Happened to a friend a few years ago.

strambo

The basic formula for mass is very simple.  However, it is a 3 legged stool, most people neglect at least a leg of it.

1: You need to lift a high volume of moderately heavy (at least 70%+ of 1 rep max) weights/resistance.  I also say resistance because strength calistenics can add mass as well, pull ups, push ups, dips, harder bodyweight squat variations etc.  He should probably be hitting some serious weights 4x per week for 45-60 mins.

2: You need to eat like a horse.  At least 500 cals per day more than needed to maintain current weight.

3: Sleep like the dead.  9-10hrs would be best.  The body builds in recovery (sleep and cals), working out only tears it down.

Putting on (and maintaining) mass is hard work, he needs to really decide if it is worth it.  Though I bet his home workouts probably aren't all that high volume or challenging (and the chow and sleep aren't in line) which is part of the issue.  Heavy compund exercises as mentioned before are very effective, deadlift, squats, bench, pull ups etc.

DoppleBock

Thyroid is normal ?

I found that if you invest in a stand alone bench that inclines and declines ($100-$200), 2 dumbells with collars ($40) and 150 - 190 pounds of weight plates ($150-$200)  to put on the dumbells you can hit most muscle groups.  Just make sure the dumbells are long enough to fit 5 plates on each side.

*  12 - 16 x 10 pound plates

*  4 x 5 pounds plates

*  4 x 2.5 pound plates

Split the body into 2 days and lift each twice a week = 4 times a week

I am sure working at a gym you can set up a good routine that will hit upper body, lower body, back and core.

So my DH wants to gain weight.  He is currently 6'1 and weights 155 lbs.  He has muscle and is lean but doesn't have a lot of bulk.  He has always struggled to keep weight on and put it on.  It's taken him about 15 yrs just to gain 20 lbs.  Anyway he does some weights but not crazy just biceps and push ups.  I work at a gym so I know a little bit and have shown him different moves for shoulders, tri/bi, back and chest but he only lifts with free weights at home so his equipment is limited.  He just started taking a weight gainer two days ago.  Any other tips/suggestions?  Thanks!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !