Oy, my ass! (Read 2565 times)

tomatolover

I'm cruising into the final weeks of my marathon preparation (my first) and I'm sporting a major pain in my ass.  Sport chiro said it's not the periformis, rather its the glute medius that's giving me issues.  It's been generally is ok for the first 4 miles, then the pain starts in my ass and wraps itself around my upper thigh (from the outside).  Saw the sport chiro for it when I started feeling the pain when not running (i.e. walking sitting, standing etc).  Doc some painful ART on it though said I was ok to run.  I am, however, more than a litttle freaked out about it, as the pain has not subsided since seeing him,  actually feels worse.  

I'm wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom or advice, stretches and/or exercises that have helped them, or anything of the sort.  Finally, I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried acupuncture for muscle issues.  

Thanks

Ojo

No words of wisdom but I am suffering from similar pain at the moment.  And I am also more than a little freaked out because I have a technical 50k in 3 weeks.  I am going to attempt my final long run (on roads) tomorrow and then hopefully a short trail run Sunday.

Hope your pain feels better.  Right now I have an Icy Hot patch on it, which seems to be helping.  Good luck to you!

Sara

MM #2929

Prince of Fatness

Welcome to my world.

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

I'm cruising into the final weeks of my marathon preparation (my first) and I'm sporting a major pain in my ass.  Sport chiro said it's not the periformis, rather its the glute medius that's giving me issues.  It's been generally is ok for the first 4 miles, then the pain starts in my ass and wraps itself around my upper thigh (from the outside).  Saw the sport chiro for it when I started feeling the pain when not running (i.e. walking sitting, standing etc).  Doc some painful ART on it though said I was ok to run.  I am, however, more than a litttle freaked out about it, as the pain has not subsided since seeing him,  actually feels worse.  

I'm wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom or advice, stretches and/or exercises that have helped them, or anything of the sort.  Finally, I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried acupuncture for muscle issues.  

Thanks

Does it hurt when you sit or do hamstring stretches? Any shooting pain down the legs? Gluteus medius is your hip muscle. Do you feel if you raise your leg to the side? You just need try to get through this before you do what your really need to REST!  Before you run try 2 things next time!

1. Sit in a hot bath or whirl pool for 5-10 min

2. Then go on floor and in a plank position, while in this position lift up leg one at a time and squeeze butt and then do hamstring curl. Rotate side to side. Squeeze. Also do some hamstring/leg swings and some active warm up exercises or dynamic stretching. Just trying to get core loose and glutes and hammys firing before for your run.

Do your run. If it feels better. Continue this routine. If not, it will be a tough few weeks and then go see a sports doc vs a chiro

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

tomatolover

Welcome to my world.

no kidding- you were the first person I thought of when this pain started to arise...

while googling my ass off Wink, I re-read an article published in the NYtimes by another NJ runner who claimed she had dead butt syndrome, which still sounds funny when I think of it.  Her supposed issue was a lack of crosstraining (as is my own--- i'm a one sport kinda gal) leading to weaknesses in her abs and butt.  Hmmm.

MrPh- have you ever tried acupuncture?

TChuck:

I'll try the hot bath/plank tomorrow before tomorow's run.  I've had 3 days of no running, though have sat on a lot of tennis balls. Hoping the strengthening might help.  Thanks.

Queen of 3rd Place

I've battled this off and on for about a year although it's mostly been only moderate pain, and only when running or climbing stairs. Backed off on the mileage the latter half of this year, added lunges, core work, leg swings (forward/aft and side-to-side) and massage to the repertoire. 3 - 4 months of that routine has mostly done it. Still get the occasional twinge with fast workouts or hills, but it quickly subsides.

Ex runner

Ojo

The combination of icy hot and compression capris worked this morning.  I took it a little slower than usual and had minimal pain.  Hopefully a 3 week taper will get me to the start line.

Sara

MM #2929

Craig

Starting about this time last year, I suffered for several months.  I read the dead butt article back when it was published and thought that was probably my problem, but I did not feel that the article was very descriptive of the symptoms or the treatment solutions.  I believe the problem originated from the hip flexors and I blame high mileage without cutback weeks.

My pain was in the glutes and the top of the hamstrings where they connect to the glutes.  Reaching to touch my toes was especially uncomfortable and I sometimes had pain and cramping in the hip flexors as I sat and brought my knee up to put on my socks.  My butt and hamstrings did feel dead, but it also seemed to make my quads feel dead and I felt like I could not increase my running pace from slow and easy.

I had been doing leg swings and using a tennis ball on my hamstrings, but the symptoms were not improving.  In January, I finally reduced my mileage and in March, I began diligently doing most of the exercises shown in the first three of these videos from Running Times after runs.  I think some technique drills can also help.

I gradually improved over the course of several weeks.  I now continue to do the exercises and, every 4-6 weeks, I force myself to reduce mileage 15% or more for a week. I am feeling good now with almost none of the symptoms.

I would not expect that symptoms will improve quickly, but good luck. 

I had a problem similar to this and after multiple shots in the dark, an ultrasound revealed a hamstring tear. The only thing that helped was 2 weeks off running and some physiotherapy. I had some laser treatment that seemed to really work but it might have only been coincidental. I'm 2 months into recovery already and have a way to go before I'll be able to pick up the pace. Hamstring issues can become chronic if not taken care of properly. I suggest a doctor and I am crossing my fingers for you that this is not a tear.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

tomatolover

Ass Update:

4 days after my ART session, I glad to report that my ass is feeling better.  It feels almost  bruised and it hurts to go poking around back there, but run-able. I've been sitting in a hot bath before my runs and have been doing a lot of butt strengthening, along with some stretches that my chiro showed me.  I've got an appointment with an accupuncturist/trigger poing massage PT on wednesday and I'll see where it goes from there.  13 days till showtime and I've feel less doomy than I have been in weeks. 

Prince of Fatness

you were the first person I thought of when this pain started to arise...

I'm flattered.

MrPh- have you ever tried acupuncture?

No I have not.

I'm hesitant to offer advice since I have been dealing with this for over a year and a half with limited success.  I have come to the conclusion that my problems are the consequence of working a desk job for 25+ years (along with 2 hours in the car per day most of those years).  I have run almost all of my adult life but didn't really run much mileage or any structured training until I was in my 40's.  I can't do much about the sitting, unfortunately.

I think that massage is helpful.  A tennis ball works real well on the glutes and hamstrings.  I don't do much stretching, other than right after I run.  Core work once a week.  I try to get up and walk a little every hour or so while at work.  I also go for a half hour walk during lunch, weather permitting.  All of this helps ... just not sure how much.  If I had to guess I would say that walking and massage are most helpful, but that is just a guess.

Anyway, good luck!

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

Mr PhinNJ

Do you have cushions to sit on. I have wheelchair cushions in my car, office seat and couch and about 10 others all around including for planes, cars etc. I have a collection. I sitll use them for preventative maintenance. They make a huge difference.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Prince of Fatness

Mr PhinNJ

Do you have cushions to sit on. I have wheelchair cushions in my car, office seat and couch and about 10 others all around including for planes, cars etc. I have a collection. I sitll use them for preventative maintenance. They make a huge difference.

I actually PM'd you months ago about this.  You responded with some suggestions but I have yet to do any cushion shopping.  I guess that I should get off of my ass and do that.  Heh.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

I guess that I should get off of my ass.  Heh.

rlemert

I have come to the conclusion that my problems are the consequence of working a desk job for 25+ years (along with 2 hours in the car per day most of those years). ...  I can't do much about the sitting, unfortunately.

One of my colleagues just got something I call his "computer periscope". It's a stand that allows him to move his monitor and keyboard up and down so he can sit or stand as he sees fit. It's kind of funny to see him standing there like he's driving a submarine.

(I tried to find something similar on the web, but I didn't have the right keywords for my search.)