Dylan is the 'shizzle'! (Read 665 times)

Prophet!

Has anybody ever come close to Bob Dylan as far as lyrical genius goes ? I've found some of my old Dylan cd collection back from the hippie days (yes i went through a hippie phase, long hair, tiedyes, hackeysacks, birks, the Dead, the whole thing in high school and college) and now putting it on the itunes..great stuff.
      I was thinking about this the other day when I argued with someone who "can't stand" Dylan because of his voice. I didn't even know what to say to that. When one's examples of "great musicians" are the homogeneous-voiced American Idolistas covering the same Motown standards over and over, it's in no way worth arguing. You will nowhere else get the character, complexity and emotion that you can find in a single Dylan song. I'd like to see one of those guys sing "Ring Them Bells" and give it the sheer emotional gravity that's carried in Dylan's voice. It can't be done. I don't buy those who say they respect his songwriting but not his performance, probably when the only Dylan song they've ever heard is "The Hurricane". But my answer to your question is no, I can't think of a single lyrical songwriter to come close - John Lennon and Neil Young are somewhere near the ballpark I suppose.

Prophet!

Yeah its scary that Dylan, Jim Morrison, Hendrix, probably wouldn't cut it in American Idol. I probably would put Bob Marley in that same ballpark as Lennon and Young as he does have that same Dylanesque qualities..meaningful lyrics + emotional delivery... from limited videoclips of Bob singing you can tell he's pouring his heart out in every single word.

madness baby

Yeah its scary that Dylan, Jim Morrison, Hendrix, probably wouldn't cut it in American Idol. I probably would put Bob Marley in that same ballpark as Lennon and Young as he does have that same Dylanesque qualities..meaningful lyrics + emotional delivery... from limited videoclips of Bob singing you can tell he's pouring his heart out in every single word.
          That is why none of us should watch American Idol. Don't shoot me. It's just my opinion. Wait, I watch ANTM (next top model), who am I to say something? Statement retracted.
          deb

Prophet!

That is why none of us should watch American Idol. Don't shoot me. It's just my opinion. Wait, I watch ANTM (next top model), who am I to say something? Statement retracted.
            nothing wrong with ANTM...although i prefer the Australian one...something about Aussie girls, you can't tell when they're talking bad about somebody.
              I like this little bit of sabotage. Derailing the show by trying to pick the worst singer as the American Idol. Evil grin
              shyrunner07

aaaagh, nononono! Don't toy with my one guilty pleasure- i looooove Idol! The field this year was really weak, with the exception of my girls Lakisha and Melinda. Each week Sanjayayajkajyaya goes through, i pull a little bit more of my hair out- i swear, i'll be bald by the finale if he keeps it up (thought for sure the faux hawk would do him in!). /cheesy guilty pleasure I love Dylan too- the man is a fuckin' genius. What else is there to say? ::heart::
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

No topping Dylan lyrically, though John Lennon and George Harrison are among the few that have a right to at least carry his luggage. But both are gone, sadly. Cry

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

shyrunner07

agreed! i love GH...his songs are a must have on my ipod...."While My Guitar gently weeps" and "Here Comes the sun" get played at least once a day....Smile george... Sad
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

agreed! i love GH...his songs are a must have on my ipod...."While My Guitar gently weeps" and "Here Comes the sun"
                      Be sure to get the new Beatles "Love" album. WMGGW acoustic demo with a new string arrangement by George Martin. Absolutely. Magical.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

shyrunner07

Be sure to get the new Beatles "Love" album. WMGGW acoustic demo with a new string arrangement by George Martin. Absolutely. Magical.
                        hubby and i got that for my dad on his birthday....one of the few times i was actually jealous of his presents!! lol