Sub 15:00 5k tips (Read 2583 times)

Big grin Ok, it looks like you missed the point. I am trying to run under 15:00. I was looking for someone with real insight for tips on getting back into the shape that I was in in college without losing motivation due to the drastic loss in time that one faces in the real world. I actually found what I was looking for, in the form of motivation to run everyday. I was looking for a knowledgeable network of runners to get ideas from. What I found was a bunch of high school c-team casual joggers. If you still feel it necessary to bash a persons goals, I will post some results for you in November.
    JakeKnight

What I found was a bunch of high school c-team casual joggers.
      Oh, I'm not *that* fast! Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Cathoholic

I ran into the same problem years ago. When you are running with a solid group of guys everyday it it difficult to transition back into solo running. I let myself get to the point where a training run regressed to six minute pace and gave up only to start the cycle over again. What you need to do is not worry about running fast, just run longer. You will find that you will subconciously run your desired training speed for the last half of the run. It worked for me, I eventually ran a 14:20 5k and 8 sub 2:35 marathons. Good luck.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Considering what we usually get when someone says they're trying to get back into running... what you said seemed so out of line you can't blame the guys here for thinking you're not serious. Lighten up, ok? Nobody knows anybody else and we're all working from different points of view here. In other words, EVERYBODY PLAY NICE!!!

Roads were made for journeys...

gimme some sugar, baby

I've read this thread and I don't exactly know why people are angry, but back to the original topic... I haven't run under 15 minutes, so obviously don't have all the answers to running under 15 minutes, but I can give you some general training advice for getting back into running and getting faster. I'm only giving this advice because I've improved my times a lot over the past few years, and maybe it will help you... although it's generic running advice for the most part. First, you need to build base. You're clearly having trouble staying healthy and getting into a regular routine. I'm not talking about run mileage for a week and then start hopping into workouts. I'm talking run mileage for four or five weeks and build yourself back up. Start at 50% (or less) of what you were doing in college and gradually build until you are at a mileage you think works for you. 5k runners typically differ greatly where their sweet spot for mileage is. Some are 70 mpw guys... some are 100+mpw. Secondly, you need to keep your pace under control while coming back. Don't run all of your runs at 6:00 pace just because you can right off the bat. Start running easy while you're building your mileage. A rule of thumb I've always gone by is you can either increase your mileage or increase your intensity, but not both at the same time or you'll get hurt. Don't do both. Thirdly, don't do workouts until you are able to handle the base and stay in a regular routine. Fourthly, don't say that you're going to run under 15:00 in six weeks when you're "out of running." Run a 5k in six weeks but don't expect to break 15:00 unless you're really talented or in better shape than you're letting on. Just race a 5k to gauge your progress and see how things are going, and progress towards the goal gradually. What times did you run in college? I think one of the biggest mistakes people get is giving themselves "deadlines" to run a certain time. All that does is put too much pressure on yourself and messes you up, because most runners don't run well under extreme pressure. Fifthly, get some people to run with to keep you running regularly. Sixthly, keep your running log updated. This site is great for that. The threat of seeing zeros on this log is one of the reasons I keep running. Finally, don't neglect strides and drills to keep yourself sharp. These help immensely in maintaining some speed when you're not able to work out a lot yet. Good luck. - George
            George: Runner/Law Student
            www.gimme-five.com
            Purdey

Self anointed title

Failing that buy a push bike... Wink

Big grin Ok, it looks like you missed the point. I am trying to run under 15:00. I was looking for someone with real insight for tips on getting back into the shape that I was in in college without losing motivation due to the drastic loss in time that one faces in the real world. I actually found what I was looking for, in the form of motivation to run everyday. I was looking for a knowledgeable network of runners to get ideas from. What I found was a bunch of high school c-team casual joggers. If you still feel it necessary to bash a persons goals, I will post some results for you in November.
                This is a small site with, as you figured out, mostly casual runners and newbies. Although this site has a great running log, for a running forum with training info at the level you are looking to get, you are better off checking out www.letsrun.com. Even though the lack of a registration requirement means you will have to wade through a lot of trolls and testosterone amped H.S. kids, there are some incredibly knowledgeable--even a few bonafide world class--runners and coaches and a lot of post-collegiate runners who continue to train at a high level. By the way how old are you and how long has it been since you were 15:00-5Ker and what have you been doing in that time? That will obviously make a huge difference in your approach.

Runners run

JakeKnight

This is a small site with, as you figured out, mostly casual runners and newbies.
                  I'm going to respectfully but strenously object to that statement, your honor. Evil grin There are a lot of new runners here. Plenty of fat ones. Injured ones. Diabetic ones. A whole slew of really old ones. Probably a few ugly ones, and at least one stupid one. More than a few semi-drunken ones. A couple grumpy ones. And there is no question that there are a whole mess of really, really SLOOOOOOOOOooooooooooow runners here. But "casual" runners? I've never seen one here. Not even close. And for the record - and I'm putting this far more politely than I ought to, to keep Wingz happy Cool - every one of those fat, diabetic, old, grumpy, stupid, semi-inebriated, and very sloooooooow runners impresses and inspires me far, far more than a fellow who is either an amazingly lame troll or a former national-level collegiate runner with a piss-poor attitude and bad table manners. My 2.7 cents. Adjusted for inflation. Modified to add (because I just couldn't resist): Actually, come to think of it, I *have* seen ONE casual runner here. He's some guy that just runs twice a week ... and then takes every other month off. Big grin Now that's "casual."

What? Are you kidding me? C-Team? There was a c-team I could have tried out for? Shocked Cool If you are serious, then please tell us a little about yourself, and consider posting your running log. There are, in point of fact, runners here that can probably provide some suggestions for what you want to accomplish. In addition to letsrun.com, you may want to consider Hillrunner.com, a site with current/former collegiate runners. They have some pretty good technical advice for regional-class runners. Not as homey as this site, but may have what you are looking for.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                    JakeKnight

What? Are you kidding me? C-Team? There was a c-team I could have tried out for? Shocked Cool
                      Sure, but only the A-team had this guy:

Wingz

Professional Noob

modified to remove easily misunderstood potentially offensive material that had nothing to do with running and everything to do with giving JakeKnight a hard time about his avatar...

Roads were made for journeys...

But "casual" runners? I've never seen one here. Not even close.
                          Well, you've never actually seen me since I don't post pictures of myself and we don't run in the same neighborhoods, but I'm a casual runner, and I post here sometimes. So that's at least one.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Well, you've never actually seen me since I don't post pictures of myself and we don't run in the same neighborhoods, but I'm a casual runner, and I post here sometimes. So that's at least one.
                            You ran 210 miles last month and have a 17:00 PR in the 5-K. Casual, huh? Shocked I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the definition of "casual." Tongue

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Mike, I know you and you're no casual runner. Not in a million years. You can take a year off from exercise, have your legs in a potato sack and still out run me. Big grin
                              JakeKnight

modified to remove easily misunderstood potentially offensive material that had nothing to do with running and everything to do with giving JakeKnight a hard time about his avatar...
                                Big grin Bah! You politically correct weenie. But offending my avatar is going too far. I pity the fool that offends my avatar. Yes