Torn ACL 6 yrs ago- new runner now (Read 564 times)

De-slacking in progress

My wife is ready to start running. She totally destroyed her ACL, as in- not connected anymore, as in torn in half, as in blood curdling scream, loud pop when it happen. No surgical repair, just few month of therapy. Never in 6 yrs has she had any real leg/ knee problem. Very stable knee. Now that shes going to hopefully start C25k and beyond, is there real problems with running having a torn ACL? Any special precautions? Any others with one torn ACL?

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

You may wanna do a search for others' experience, but here's my two cents: I snapped my ACL skiing my 2nd time (and last) on MLK day 2003. Also smashed my tibia plateau and may have had meniscus damage. Did not get surgery, but went inactive for few years. Since resuming running @ 2.5 years ago, I haven't had a single problem with it. I wear no brace or anything. I think the ACL's main job is to provide stability in cutting type activities: soccer, tennis, football.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I had the ACL surgery about a year before I started running. I think she'll find out pretty quickly if her knee's stable enough to run on or not. Shocked

Roads were made for journeys...

Me and the boys

I blew my ACL (same as your DW-in half), split my miniscus, and tore my MCL wakeboarding in 08/04. Same as your wife, I landed wrong, loud pop felt and heard thru my entire body, and screamed a few non-lady-like words, i'm sure. after the swelling went down, it was all I could do to not face-plant while walking. All that stuff is all connected, and I couldnt imagine running without it, but I know people do. I had surgery in 11/04, and was running within 3 weeks, and wakeboarding again at 4 weeks. That knee is now stronger and more stable than the other. Like Wingz said, she will know within the first few steps if she can or not. The doctors did tell me I didnt HAVE to have it replaced, that eventually all the muscles and tendons will eventually strengthen, and help to steady the knee cap, etc.
          -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
            i had to wait a year for surgery. during that time i could run very carefully in a very straight line but no chance round corners. and on the odd occasion i forgot and ran for the train... oh my god. i collapsed in a big heap of pain (and yet it was amazing how often that happened without me learning!)