Nausea after swimming (Read 11293 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have no experience with the nausea, but I do believe hydrating is a good idea -- I come out of the pool thirsty, and am happy when I remember to have a water bottle (b/c it's hard to drink much out of the fountain -- best if I have a bottle I can fill from the fountain and then drink the bottle down).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I get nauseous when I swim too. I've been blaming it on bad technique causing too much exertion, improper breathing, and drinking the water.

A Saucy Wench

My dh has had some luck with really good silicone earplugs, but he still gets nausea after swimming if he goes more than about 40 minutes. I used to swim and have zero problems and I have had it on occasion as I get older.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Removed.
            I have the same issue. I thought it was due to swollowing water. I feel fine until about five minutes after leaving the pool, then it comes on strong for about an hour. I thought I was the only one.
            Carl A

Making sure that I exhale completely while my face is in the water seems to help with the queasiness. If the water's really warm (I swim in a pool that's set up more for retirees than competitive swimmers), I tend to have similar problems. Some of the people in the RA swimmer's group might have good advice also.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Tony Evans

Do you tumble turn? I feel sick after about 4 so have just stopped doing them I've put it down to an age and motion sickness thing. This is a little different to the delayed reactions when in the shower but it might have some bearing. Never had a problem when younger
                Elly.

I have found that breath control laps are very, very helpful. You use paddles and a pull buoy. You will discover that the paddles act like magnificent hands that get you places your own hands cannot. Then the pull buoy keeps your bottom up, and allows you to more easily swim on your sides. Try swimming once every three breaths. You will realize that the equipment keeps you buoyant. RELAX. Go slow, you are not trying to win anything or beat your neighbor. Just concentrate on your breathing and your form. When you mastered the three breaths, try taking a breath every five strokes. After you have mastered that, every seven strokes. Eventually you may go up to nine strokes. I still get nauseous when I'm not paying attention and allow myself to go too fast. But the whole point of the exercise is that you discover that breathing every three strokes has become blissfully easy. You learn to control your inhale/exhale to allow yourself to become a very efficient swimmer.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

t_runner

Wow, well I'm kind of glad my year and a half old thread got resurrected, now I remember posting this, and I have not had this problem recently. I am much more comfortable swimming now, and before I took a 2 month break from swimming for a variety of reasons, I was able to swim 3/4 mile continuously without problems. I think a couple things contributed, and was mentioned by others earlier also: -I took a one-on-one class. Helped with form pointers, made me feel more comfortable in the water. -I breathe more often. I was definitely waiting too long, gasping in breath. I think this didn't help with the endurance either, because as soon as I started that, I was able to get past swimming only 50 yds before stopping and gasping for air. Now I am planning to get back in the water in the next week, and am doing my first triathlon in July. (I still have yet to swim in open water though!)
                    pitrunner

Wow, well I'm kind of glad my year and a half old thread got resurrected, now I remember posting this, and I have not had this problem recently.
                      You've passed it on to me! Tonight after swimming for only 25 mins. I got so incredibly nauseous that I couldn't go any further. I've never had this probably before and I'm really hoping that it's because I stuck some of those wax earplugs in tonight. I finally cured my swimming headaches (thanks Neti pot!) but I'll gladly take them back instead of ralphing every time I swim.
                      ginaluvs2swim

So glad I got on this thread!  I have been getting extremely nauseous and dizzy after swimming for about 3 years now.  I have wanted to start swimming regularly and have been trying about once every few months during that time.  The first time it happened, I thought it was because I was pregnant and held off for awhile.  But it continues to happen and I am so bummed out by it.  I am fine while swimming (I swim 1600m, about 20-30 minutes), but the second I get vertical, I am nauseous.  And it takes about 1-2 hours for me to feel "normal" again.  Someone once saw me sitting in the shower, all pale and disoriented, and wanted to call 911...thankfully I just had her call my husband instead (that was embarrassing).  I thought at first that my swim cap was too tight and have tried 4 different kinds (including none) and that wasn't it.  I thought about dehydration, but more water before and/or after didn't seem to make a difference.  I am not a really experienced or competitive swimmer, but I LOVE to swim!  I don't kick turn and can only breath on one side (I do every 4th breath on the right).  Any tips on learning to breath on both sides?  Or allieviating the nausea from head swinging?  I'm afraid if I breath too often (every breath on right) it will be too much of the "swaying" that people mentioned.  Thanks Smile

TriathleteRookie

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this! I'll experience nausea after every swim. The longer the swim, the longer the nausea lasts. My latest swim caused me to have the ultimate nausea (dizziness, vomiting, the whole nine) that lasted through the next morning. I've been told that it's due to water getting trapped in the inner ear. I've tried earplugs, but they don't always help; not to mention the fact that they fall out constantly. This last episode of nausea has kept me FAR from any pool or body of water. I was anticipating to enter my first Ironman competition next year, but without getting this problem under control, my aspirations are on stand bySad. Any words of advice?
                          pitrunner

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this! I'll experience nausea after every swim. The longer the swim, the longer the nausea lasts. My latest swim caused me to have the ultimate nausea (dizziness, vomiting, the whole nine) that lasted through the next morning. I've been told that it's due to water getting trapped in the inner ear. I've tried earplugs, but they don't always help; not to mention the fact that they fall out constantly. This last episode of nausea has kept me FAR from any pool or body of water. I was anticipating to enter my first Ironman competition next year, but without getting this problem under control, my aspirations are on stand bySad. Any words of advice?

Are you in the pool or open water when it happens? In the pool, I had to stop doing flip turns and that sorta put an end to it. It never really happened to me in open water so I don't have any advice for that...