Looking to get Faster (Read 862 times)

I have been running for over a year but have not made significant progress with getting faster. I typically do three times a week, T, TH and Sunday ( Long Run). Starting in April I significantly picked up mileage in order to prepare for a half and have noticed some improvement (~5.00Min/K). I would like to get in teh range of 4.15-4.20Min/K. Any suggestings would help. Thanks I am sensing a theme. To eveyone that responded I will heed your advice. Thanks again.
    Scout7

Increase your frequency and volume. Run most of the runs at an easy pace, and once or twice a week run at a harder pace.
        I suggest core strenghtening, and form work. I have done a lot of work on relaxing my shoulders, and lifting my feet. The core work has just made me a stronger person.

- Anya

It seems counter-intuitive, but you need to run farther before you can run faster. More miles makes for better endurance which will not only allow you to run faster, it will allow you to run faster with less chance of getting hurt. At some point you will plateau and at that time a day or two a week of speed work will be in order. You may want to consider making your running log public so we can see what level you are at. Tom
            To run faster you must run farther. To run farther you must run slower. - Author unknown

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

rockintrax

Now - I'm only a college student - so you might want to take this with a grain of salt as I'm not as knowledgable as everyone on the running. I think that everyone here is giving great advice on frequency and duration - however I would also suggest switching it up once in a while. By that I mean - if you have a long run which you always do the same day of the week (Sunday) switch it to another day for a week or two (or a month). Another option is to change distance of intervals/tempos - if you normally are in the habit of doing 2 miles for tempo - do 1.5 miles (changing to the appropriate tempo pace). Your body sometimes gets used to your schedule. It will get used to certain days being recovery and other days as being hard days. Flipping the schedule or making minor changes is forcing your body to adapt and adaptions will lead to improvement. Flip your long run to a day when you normally don't run long and you may notice that your body hurts more than normal or takes longer to recover. These sorts of changes don't need to be made often, but like once every couple of months.
              Steph
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Scout alluded to it but it bears repeating -- you should try to run more days per week. Get up to at least 5. This may be hard with your schedule or something, but your body will adapt better to the stress of training when you go more frequently. Also, You mentioned some paces and improvement. Were those based on races or a particular type of workout? Because in general, it shouldn't be a goal to improve your day-to-day pace. The problem in doing that is running too hard too often.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Prince of Fatness

To run faster you must run farther. To run farther you must run slower. - Author unknown
                  This is so simple but it took me years to figure it out. Once I did I have made steady progress bring my times down.

Not at it at all. 

Slow-smooth-fast

This is so simple but it took me years to figure it out. Once I did I have made steady progress bring my times down.
                    I third this! Fantastic advice. I want to increase my weekly mileage but with family constraints, anything over 55mpw isnt practical.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009