Sore stomach muscles after running. (Read 10879 times)

The muscles in my lower abdomen are sore after I run sometimes. It doesn't happen every workout but, if I run with extra effort or do a longish route my abs feels like I've done a bunch of crunches. I know if I do the ab exercises I always manage to avoid my stomach muscles would get better conditioned. The thing is when I ran before, long ago, I don't remember getting sore abs. Does anybody else get sore abs when they run?

If ye like the nut, crack it.

Needs more cowbell!

Yep. Longer runs. Before my HM I would get really tight/sore for about the last half-hour or so (I was running 2.5 hours right before the race). Like you said, it feels like you've done crunches. k

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Finished!

how odd. If it feels like you've done crunches, do your abs start looking better after some time? Wink
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Needs more cowbell!

how odd. If it feels like you've done crunches, do your abs start looking better after some time? Wink
          You'd think...but I've had no such luck! Tongue k

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Who knows? Maybe I have a set of sixpack abs under my jellyroll.

If ye like the nut, crack it.

I have and had to start to do strengh training for my lower abdomen. I thought that with my running they would get stronger, but it did not happen. I had to stop running all together and only do strengh training. After a few weeks I was back to running. I also picked up some lean muscle maximizer by cyto gainer. I only take one shake a day of it.
                I just read an article about this from active.com about deep abs and how they help stabilize the pelvis during running - it helps save energy and maximize the efficiency of your stride. The article has some exercises to do to help with this - I tried the navel to the spine thing today while I ran and I did feel like I was getting more forward thrust from my stride! Huh, you never know..... here's the link to the article http://active.com/story.cfm?story_id=13697
                1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."