Garmin mapping WAY off? (Read 746 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1

I set my watch down in a spot that has a clear view of the sky, then I get dressed for the run.  The watch is always locked in by the time I'm ready to roll. 

That reminds me of something I have been wondering for the past few months.  Used to be that my Garmin would grab a signal VERY quickly, in less than a minute.  In the past few months it seems to take minutes...sometimes not finding a signal at all, then I have to restart it to get it to respond.  I wonder if this is a humidity thing, but I don't recall it doing this in previous Summers and it's generally not been as humid this Summer as it has been in recent years.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That reminds me of something I have been wondering for the past few months.  Used to be that my Garmin would grab a signal VERY quickly, in less than a minute.  In the past few months it seems to take minutes...sometimes not finding a signal at all, then I have to restart it to get it to respond.  I wonder if this is a humidity thing, but I don't recall it doing this in previous Summers and it's generally not been as humid this Summer as it has been in recent years.

Do you keep your battery charged?  I've found that when the charge is kind of low, signal acquisition is slower.

Also, you should hook up the watch to your Mac and run the Garmin Web Updater software.  This'll check to make sure you have the most recent firmware.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Do you keep your battery charged?  I've found that when the charge is kind of low, signal acquisition is slower.

Also, you should hook up the watch to your Mac and run the Garmin Web Updater software.  This'll check to make sure you have the most recent firmware.

Duh, I hadn't even thought about the firmware thing.  I may have to do that this afternoon.  I know it's always well-charged.  After every run I leave it on the cradle until it says it's completely charged.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

Zoom -- the Garmin stores a cache of the last satellites it used in order not bother searching for new ones when you power it up.  Over time, this cache gets outdated as the satellites in the GPS constellation are switched on and off, or you use the Forerunner in different locations.

Recommend that you flush the satellite cache by press-and-hold DOWN arrow button while powering the unit on. Do this outside with good view of sky to make it freshen its satellites database.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.