Adam Goucher retires (Read 773 times)

Tiefsa

Here's the blog post on his site. 

A New Starting Line

I just interviewed Adam and Tim Catalano (the authors of Running the Edge) and he mentioned poor health as well as moving to the next stage of his life, but didn't say anything about retirement. 

Running the Edge Interview

The book is good by the way if you need a little motivation.

#artbydmcbride

What a classy guy.   Smile

Runners run

bhearn

Wow. I just saw Kara Goucher in Portland on Monday, at the new Nike store, answering all sorts of questions about her running. Of course she didn't let anything slip -- but then, nobody asked her anything about Adam. 

One interesting thing -- she just fired Alberto Salazar as her coach -- I asked her what her mileage is like training for the trials in Houston. She said last week was 101, but those were "Jerry miles". Her new coach goes by time. Previously she would have logged the week at around 115. I'm not sure how that works out. Miles are miles?

Feeling the growl again

One interesting thing -- she just fired Alberto Salazar as her coach -- I asked her what her mileage is like training for the trials in Houston. She said last week was 101, but those were "Jerry miles". Her new coach goes by time. Previously she would have logged the week at around 115. I'm not sure how that works out. Miles are miles?

It's been awhile since I read this....maybe it was the same coach...where they log miles according to a fixed duration.  So if it's say 7min, you time your run and divide by 7 and that's how many miles you log.  I guess one benefit is that there is no incentive to go faster than you are supposed to, since all that matters is the minutes and going faster will actually decrease what you get credit for.

Over the long haul, I don't think it makes an iota of difference.  The useless average pace in my log rarely moves one way or another and even month to month the average pace is pretty constant unless there is a huge outlying factor causing it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Miles are miles, although some people don't log warm-ups or jogs. For example apparently  Seb Coe would do quite a bit of gentle jogging, but didn't regard that as "running" so didn't log it...