Hip pain (Read 189 times)

prodiro

I've just finished my first week of getting back into running and have had this recurring pain in my hip. It tends to show up towards the end of a run and lasts for a couple hours later - it especially shows up when walking.  I'm not sure if it's something that is just sort of a "growing pain" of getting back into working muscles I haven't  for quite some time, or is something that could turn into a real injury if I push it too far.

I don't think it's a muscle, though it is located right where the leg muscle meets the front of my hip.  Another way of explaining it, is if I were to lay on my back and lift my leg straight  up, it would agitate it and be fairly painful.

I just set a personal record today (3 miles!) after a day of rest and am wondering how you guys would recommend I proceed.

ok I'll be the first to bite.   can you give more info on your running background,   how much you've been running this week,  what pace, & of course what are using on your feet.  with more info you will get better feedback, although my first thought is too much or too fast too soon & with poor quality or old shoes

prodiro

Looking at my record, it's been a bit more than a week:

4/19 ~1.8 miles ~ 25 mins

4/20 1.7 miles ~20 mins

4/21 I got overconfident and thought I had fully recovered. I wound up warming up 1/4 mi on a treadmill - ran for 1/2 mi before realizing it wasn't happening (hip pain) and finished the mile walking.

4/22 2.2 miles ~24 mins

4/23 2.5 miles ~27 mins

4/24 walked 3 miles

4/25 1.9 miles 17:50

4/26 2 miles ~22 mins

4/27 recovery - didn't get a chance to walk/exercise

4/28 2.91 miles (ok I rounded up before to 3 miles lol) 29:36

Some of the times are estimates since I forgot to record the exact time on my phone's app.  I've been trying to aim for a pace of 10:30-11 min/mile.

I'm using brand new shoes - Nike Lunar Eclipse 3

I've been planning on doing a run 3 rest 1 run 2 rest 1 schedule - perhaps I should run every other day until it goes away?

Feeling the growl again

Sounds like your hip flexor.  Take your time getting back into it, and give it time to get stronger.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I don't really know the whole med side of things, I can only give experience.

I had some real hip issues...and from what I read on the internet (super source...not), I figure I essential had/have hip bursitis.

It comes and goes, and I think it's from overuse.  the worst was one time, on the Broad Street Run (Philadelphia), at mile 2, it hit me like a hot poker jabbed into my left hip.  Run?  Heck no, I could barely walk.    But, like a stupid male, with testosterone flowing, I ended up, by mile 5, running the rest of the race.

the next day, besides hurting like hell, my hip was multiicolored with yellow, red, purple, blue...it was scary as hell.

So, take it easy and see some one.

Jeff

prodiro

Hmm - well I'm not going to see a doctor unless this becomes a serious lasting problem.  At $160 for the visit alone I need to make sure it's not something I can solve via help online.  Since I'm using muscles I haven't in years (and really have been pushing myself quite hard) I bet some smart rest will help.

So what I'm thinking is tomorrow I might just hit the bike machines at the gym.  Since it's upward motion that hurts it, I bet I'll still get good exercise without straining it.

prodiro

It comes and goes, and I think it's from overuse.  the worst was one time, on the Broad Street Run (Philadelphia), at mile 2, it hit me like a hot poker jabbed into my left hip.  Run?  Heck no, I could barely walk.    But, like a stupid male, with testosterone flowing, I ended up, by mile 5, running the rest of the race.

Haha I can totally see myself doing this.

I hope the hip issues don't continue giving you trouble!

Love the Half

I generally don't think it's a good idea for newer runners to be out there every single day.  Your body needs time to recover and it needs time to build up all the support structure.  Every other day is fine for at least the first few months.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

prodiro

I generally don't think it's a good idea for newer runners to be out there every single day.  Your body needs time to recover and it needs time to build up all the support structure.  Every other day is fine for at least the first few months.

Problem is I'm seeing if I can train for a marathon in 6 months.  It's kinda crazy, and I'm prepared to stop if the training schedule gets too hard.  Not yet though!

I'm definitely dialing things back at the moment, I'm going to avoid making it a couple months if I can though.  I just used a bike machine the last two days and will rest tomorrow.  My hip is definitely feeling better and I think I'll try incorporating the bike machine in with my routine for the next couple weeks and am going to focus on stretching and strengthening the muscle that's giving me trouble.

don't run everyday.  it is not necessary and isn't even advisable.  strengthen your glutes - do core work.  this can alleviate a whole slew of hip issues.  check out Runner's World "Iron Strength Workout"

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout

I have improved in leaps and bounds!  good luck!

Tammarin.....

prodiro

don't run everyday.  it is not necessary and isn't even advisable.  strengthen your glutes - do core work.  this can alleviate a whole slew of hip issues.  check out Runner's World "Iron Strength Workout"

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout

I have improved in leaps and bounds!  good luck!

Thanks for sharing that, those definitely look like some great exercises!

After 2 days on bike machines and a day of total rest, I ran this morning and it started hurting again...so I'm clearly going to have to work more on this.

Another thing I'm wondering too is if maybe short runs would help?  I've been running between 2 and 3 miles and I've wondered if maybe 1 mile every other day would possibly help.  Any thoughts?

Feeling the growl again

Problem is I'm seeing if I can train for a marathon in 6 months.  It's kinda crazy, and I'm prepared to stop if the training schedule gets too hard.  

That is a problem, it is kind of crazy, and if you are already breaking doing 2-3 mile runs it IS apparently too hard already.  You can continue to chase a goal that is overly ambitious even for someone not having injury problems, or you can get healthy and let your progress dictate when you are ready to try a marathon.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

prodiro

That is a problem, it is kind of crazy, and if you are already breaking doing 2-3 mile runs it IS apparently too hard already.  You can continue to chase a goal that is overly ambitious even for someone not having injury problems, or you can get healthy and let your progress dictate when you are ready to try a marathon.

Not to completely disagree, but I feel like it might not be entirely the amount of running that I'm doing.  I just watched a running form instructional video and apparently I have a lot to rework in that department.  I definitely have a lot of work to do when it comes to excessive pounding.  Also I can't help but wonder if my shoes might be playing a part too.  I was remembering earlier today about how I bought some shoes for a trade show and after a day of wearing them, I was literally hobbling around in agony with hip and knee pain (same side of the hip I think).

Anybody have experience with shoe problems?  Mine are brand new.  I didn't break them in (probably a mistake), but they have probably 25-30 miles on them.  Is it possible they aren't totally broken in?

Again, I'm not trying to contradict you...I agree it is a slightly delusional goal I have :P

Thanks for sharing that, those definitely look like some great exercises!

After 2 days on bike machines and a day of total rest, I ran this morning and it started hurting again...so I'm clearly going to have to work more on this.

Another thing I'm wondering too is if maybe short runs would help?  I've been running between 2 and 3 miles and I've wondered if maybe 1 mile every other day would possibly help.  Any thoughts?

short runs are fun!  definitely work them in - bonus: no need to shower Smile

also, I started using a Dr Scholls insert specifically for heel pain (plantar fasciatis) and while overcoming that crippling obstacle, I noticed those inserts also alleviated some of my hip pain that comes and goes (that I chalked up to just being old :P)

Last, I run in minimalist shoes and I seem to experience less aches and pains since I switched to those.  it's all a game of figuring out what works for you!  good luck!

tamm

Tammarin.....

Gator eye

Just from my personal experience, I dealt with hip pain in my right hip for almost a year, I pushed to hard and I paid the price. It would bother for a week or two then go back to a dull ache in the back ground.

After a year of stretching and strengthening the routine that I feel fixed my problem was working the groin muscle. Sitting on a chair I put a basket ball between my knee and squeeze to the count of ten, done ten time. After that is done I sit on the floor and put the bottom of my feet together pulling them up as close as you can to your crotch. Grab your ankles, then use your elbows to push down on your knee's and hold, this will give the whole area a good stretch. Two weeks of this and after a year my hip pain disappeared.