I DID IT!!! I ran my first 5k (Read 610 times)

congratulations on your 5k! i've been running for years and never managed to get bib #1!

uncontrollable

Great job! Your first and that was your time? Wow - I won't say what mine was but it wasn't that fast. I still have my first race ever, 5k T-shirt from 8 years ago this May! Very special shirt to me!

peace

Thanks so much, everyone!

Bugs

Great Work. That's cool you were number #1. When's the next race?

Bugs

I was never lower than #33, sao #1 sounds good. All this for your first race--what to do for an encore?
            I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
              Great Work. That's cool you were number #1. When's the next race?
              There's another 5k May 3. I am there.
                You're #1! You're #1! Big grin Congrats!
                  Okay--the official results were just posted online, and it shows that I came in at 29:43. I did start out near the back, but we weren't wearing chips--just bibs with a perforated strip that they tore off when we crossed the finish line. Was there some way they were accounting for the difference?

A Saucy Wench

Not usually, I've been in races where the finishing clock starts before (hopefully not after) the "gun" and they let it run, record everyones time and then put in the offset for everyone. Sometimes the finisher clock isnt the official time, sometimes the guy doing the recording has his own watch on the computer or however they are recording

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've been running races for only a year, but I can't figure out how they come up with the "official" times. I just use my Garmin distance and time for my log. Close enough for me!
                        So can I safely assume that the online result is my official time? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)
                        allout88

yes.
                            Congratulations! This is one race that you will always remember, no matter how many more you run. In my running "career", I can still remember my very first mile distance as well as my first marathon.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"