Morning run nutrition (Read 273 times)

bjoiner

Hey guys,

So, because of some logistical issues I've been having to move my runs to the mornings and I need some nutrition advice / opinions.

I'm definitely not a morning person.  (I think I wake up somewhere around mile 3).  But I've noticed that the lack of breakfast has been causing my runs to suffer a little.  Waking up earlier to eat an actual breakfast isn't really an option.  I do have about a 20-30 minute drive to the place where I run (near work) so I can definitely take something when I get in the car and have it settle while I drive.

I've been experimenting with ucan superstarch.  I really like it for many reasons. but to be honest I really can't stand the taste (even the flavored ones).

So I'm looking for an alternative source of fuel thats:

1.  Cheap-ish (something I can take before every run)

2.  Portable (something I can eat in the car)

3.  Something that will last for a 1-1.5 hour run.

I'm thinking maybe trying out green bananas, but I would love to hear what works for everyone else.

I like to eat a Cliff bar or banana.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

My usual breakfast is a cup of coffee and a Balance Bar (or half a bar if I'm not feeling hungry and going for a run less than an hour).

jdais

1/2 Cliff bar or banana

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

Why do you need to fuel before your run?

Cup of coffee has worked for me for any type of run up to about 13 miles.

Get off my porch

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I run in the morning and never eat before I run.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Mmmmm...beer

Nothing for me on my daily runs of around the same time, usually a little over an hour.  Then I eat when I get back.  I think it's more a matter of you getting used to running early in the morning than a fueling issue.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Julia1971

With that criteria, I would go for fig newtons and gatorade.

I'm with the non-fuelers, AM runs typically 1-1.5 hr on nothing but maybe a glass of water before I go out. Sometimes longer - last Sunday I did an 18 mile LR (~2:45) first thing in the AM on no fuel. Did not notice any difference from the LR's I do later in the morning, ~2 hr after a regular breakfast.

I am no expert but it seems your body should have plenty of fuel from the night before, assuming you ate well then. And I seem to pretty much eat non-stop until bedtime.

Not sure how long you have been doing it, but your body may just need to get used to it. I do find my "comfortable" pace is a bit slower in the AM, at least at the start of the run, but that can be a good thing.

Dave

I usually have a slice of toast with almond butter, a little honey and half a banana sliced on top.

RandomRun

I just have a glass of OJ.

a.m. runner fueled on ~8oz water and a cup of coffee....  anything longer than 6 or 7miles I take a bottle of 1 part G2 and 1 part water.  works for me.  Sleepy

Tammarin.....

look up generation ucan

http://www.generationucan.com/aboutus.html

A lot of the suggestions people are giving you will spike you heart rate, and you will crash and burn.

other ideas...

Oatmeal with berries quick oats (cheep) http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/quick-oats.aspx

Hammer gel ( Portable)

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Hammer bars ( Portable)

http://www.generationucan.com/aboutus.html

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

For runs of 10+ miles, I will get up and eat a toasted bagel with peanut butter about 45-60 minutes before the run. Yes, 3:45am alarms suck. I also slurp down a Clif Energy Gel (vanilla) with plenty of water, and take one with me on longer runs. I find it helpful to have another after about 90 minutes.

For shorter morning runs, I just make sure I use the bathroom and get a swig of water before going out.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

You don't need anything for a 1-1.5 hour run.

Well, I always need coffee when I get out of bed, but that's got nothing to do with fuelling a run.