Seeking Fat Acceptance (Read 3395 times)

henryc

I've been just short of obese on the BMI scale (185 @ 5'7", 29 BMI) while my body fat level was around 12% (visible abs) with a belly measurement of 31". I know many heavier but leaner people around my height (powerlifting competitors). By objective measurement (body fat percentage) they are lean, not obese. I wish I was still as lean as I was back then. I'll get back there eventually...

Kirk

I'm your height and I was 35 on the BMI, 224 lbs.  I wasn't lean, I was ginormous, but I kept it all relative, like hey I'm not the fattest.  I guess I got sick of being fat, or maybe I had eaten at every possible buffet and I no longer had the urge. 

Who knew fruits and vegetables tasted so good?

running yogi

Take for example Lesleigh Owen the lady in the picture on top. Can anyone really get that big on a healthy diet of unprocessed foods, fruits, vegetables, lean meat , whole grains and regular exercise ?

jpnairn

straw man

On Americans being fat: We're so fat, our dogs are overweight.

On BMI: It doesn't matter that it's intended as a screening test. When you go to see a doctor for a checkup, they ask you to step on a scale. They don't check your body fat percentage. They don't even ask you to strip or empty your pockets. Then a doctor will say, "Oh, I see you've gained two pounds. You know you're borderline obese?"

On greedy insurance companies: Yes, some of the people that work at the insurance companies are greedy, and the corporations on a whole are greedy and immoral. Think tobacco companies. That's the kind of greed we're talking about. Only worse.

On Jeff and ethics: Lots of ethical issues have been raised since you started the thread, but the two articles you linked to didn't raise any ethical questions. They just told the stories of whiny fat people.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Swap the Cheetos for Nutella and you've got a buffet fit for a Trent...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

On Jeff and ethics: Lots of ethical issues have been raised since you started the thread, but the two articles you linked to didn't raise any ethical questions. They just told the stories of whiny fat people.

Okay, but if people raised ethical issues after reading the articles...

On BMI: It doesn't matter that it's intended as a screening test. When you go to see a doctor for a checkup, they ask you to step on a scale. They don't check your body fat percentage. They don't even ask you to strip or empty your pockets. Then a doctor will say, "Oh, I see you've gained two pounds. You know you're borderline obese?"

I had a dr. appointment in January and weighed 178, came back late May and weighed 137 and the doctor or nurse didn't say anything. I was almost mad that they didn't comment on it.

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Some docs aren't always helpful.  My previous doc said after a certain age I would just naturally gain weight and there was nothing I could do about it.  Notice I said PREVIOUS doc.  New doc told me to lose weight and told me how to do it.
                  GST

Some docs aren't always helpful.  My previous doc said after a certain age I would just naturally gain weight and there was nothing I could do about it.  Notice I said PREVIOUS doc.  New doc told me to lose weight and told me how to do it.

A previous doctor told me I should weigh no more than 115 lb and to try South Beach, a little while after I gave birth when I was having trouble losing weight... a 50 lb weight loss that no one in their right mind would have looked at me and suggest.

I got my body fat tested by hydrostatic weighing and my lean body mass by itself was (and is) more than 115 lb.

135 lb put me in a size 2 jeans.  I still shake my head at the 115 lb recommendation. 

Some doctors are SERIOUSLY misinformed in all these issues.. but they don't really have to do much work in nutrition or exercise...

KBT

Easily Amused

Although I wouldnt mind a week or two on the ranch.  Even with Dr. Phillian screaming at me.

Ennay, Are you a member of TWOP?

The whole "eat well and move" thing is hitting particularly close to home for me right now. Several people at work are on the Medifast diet ... one woman has lost 30 lbs. in 5 weeks, another lost 7 in her first week. I've been running for 3 months and journaling what I eat, which is pretty decent, and I've lost .... 7 lbs. And I remind myself that I ran 4 miles today and 3 months ago I couldn't run 4 yards and that what I'm doing is the right thing, but damned if I don't want that quick fix.

However, for the record, I'm quite aware that I'm fat primarily because I'm lazy.

My blog: http://www.follyorfeasible.com

A Saucy Wench

y.
                          Ennay, Are you a member of TWOP?

I have no idea what that is.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The whole "eat well and move" thing is hitting particularly close to home for me right now. Several people at work are on the Medifast diet ... one woman has lost 30 lbs. in 5 weeks, another lost 7 in her first week. I've been running for 3 months and journaling what I eat, which is pretty decent, and I've lost .... 7 lbs. And I remind myself that I ran 4 miles today and 3 months ago I couldn't run 4 yards and that what I'm doing is the right thing, but damned if I don't want that quick fix.

You ARE doing the right thing, if you want it to last!  I was really good at losing weight through dieting along, but I always gained it back within a year.  It was only when I started running and dieting that the weight came off and STAYED OFF.  So keep up the great work!

xor

y.

I have no idea what that is.

Usually "TWOP" means Television Without Pity.  It is a site that recaps shows and has a very fervent forum community that discusses the shows at a level regular people might not believe.  BL is very active over there.  So are Survivor and Amazing Race.  If you are into those shows, it's actually quite amazing what you can learn... but in the forums, you have to wade through a lot of crap to find the gold nuggets.

When Dane got unmasked for cheating in the marathon, it was pretty amazing to watch how it unfolded in the BL forum.

I dunno if that's what was meant here, but I bet so.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Usually "TWOP" means Television Without Pity.  It is a site that recaps shows and has a very fervent forum community that discusses the shows at a level regular people might not believe.  BL is very active over there.  So are Survivor and Amazing Race.  If you are into those shows, it's actually quite amazing what you can learn... but in the forums, you have to wade through a lot of crap to find the gold nuggets.

When Dane got unmasked for cheating in the marathon, it was pretty amazing to watch how it unfolded in the BL forum.

I dunno if that's what was meant here, but I bet so.

I used to read TWoP when The X-Files was still on.  You're right, the level with which they discuss shows is kind of staggering sometimes.  Reminded me of my Lit. Crit./Theory classes, which I loved.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

-5 to the faculty for overuse of the word 'amazing'.