Jelly Belly Sport Beans? (Read 1070 times)

Hey all! I can't stand GU, Hammer Gel, Shot Blocks or any of the other gel or gummy fruit snack type of things so I tried Jelly Belly's Sport Beans...they were actually pretty good! Anybody else try them out? Some have caffeine and some don't, but all taste pretty decent. I ran 15 miles today and consumed 2 packs. If anybody else uses them, am I consuming too many? Too few? By around mile 13 I was really tired and the last few beans I ate didn't really seem to have any effect at all. Your thoughts? Thanks!
      Hey all! I ran 15 miles today and consumed 2 packs. If anybody else uses them, am I consuming too many? Too few? By around mile 13 I was really tired and the last few beans I ate didn't really seem to have any effect at all. Your thoughts? Thanks!
      nah, on second thought nothing to say, sorry..

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Out of all of the options you listed, Sport Beans were my favorite until I found Sharkies. I remember Freckles mentioned them in her London Marathon report, and based on her result I posted "I don't know what Sharkies are, but I think I need some." They are very similar to any of the fruit chews you find in your grocery store (the ones shaped like Scooby Doo or Batman) but they have some sodium and potassium. They have a few more calories per pack than Sport Beans, and for me they're easier to chew and swallow on the fly. I found them at Target when I stopped in to pick up Sport Beans. Without knowing your running history (recent long, average miles per week) and the weather conditions for your run, it would be hard to to say why you felt like you were crashing at 13 miles. If you make your log public, you might get better feedback.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

I was really tired and the last few beans I ate didn't really seem to have any effect at all. Your thoughts?
          100 calories in a pack. 11-12 beans per pack. Assuming "few" is 3ish beans, you ate 27 whole calories. The taste of the beans is fine, the orange ones at least, but it takes too damn much chewing to get the calories. I'd rather just choke down the gel. Key point: it isn't really like popeye's can of spinach. 3 beans probably won't perk you up.

Thanks for the feedback, I am brand new to this website and have just begun posting my runs. I'm still trying to figure everything out on here! Thanks!
            Ringmaster

I really liked the Sport Beans. I can't stomach the gel-type thing. I realize it seems easier to swallow a gel than to chew on something, but not for me. I'd rather be working on it while I run for a few miles. The Jellys were just what I needed on my first double-digit runs in the South Florida summer conditions. Not knowing how long the 15-miler took you, it's hard to say whether you took too many. The makers tell you how many they think you should take. I generally take less than they say, but I say take what works for you. Long runs are partly about learning what works, after all. And, of course, these things work only if you're hydrating along the way. I think my problem is that I've always hated all kinds of gummies, so finding an alternative was wonderful! Glad to have you on board.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Long runs are partly about learning what works, after all. And, of course, these things work only if you're hydrating along the way.
                I couldn't agree more. Everyone is different, and what they need is different. Experiment a bit--see if having a few more helps keep you stable past 13 miles. I'm relatively new to the "long run" arena, and each one has definitely been a learning experience (be it too much water, knowing I need sports drink after 60 minutes or the rest of the day is shot, etc.). If you like the jelly bellies, stick with them, but feel free to mess with how much and the timing in your run (did you eat them too late, etc.).

Chris
                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

I tried them for the first time today myself. I also tried Sharkies Sport Chews, but like you said, they were too gummy. I only eat half a pack of the beans on a 13.1M run today. can't say if they helped me or not. I also tried PowerBar Gel pack and that was weird. I think in the future, I'll try deluting it in water in one of my water bottles and see how that goes. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Former runner

Sport Beans are my favorites based on taste. That being said I stopped buying them based on how over-priced they were. I found that the regular Jelly Belly beans can be bought for half the price and work just as well. Since then I have switched to bulk fruit slices that can be way cheaper. Toss a couple of those in a baggie and I'm set for a long run. Not that I really need them for the calories. I like taking a snack on my long runs mostly as a treat to keep me motivated.

Ross