2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

hswiley

I ran my first ( and only, so far ) marathon last January after putting in a lot of miles for “2018 in 2018”. I qualified with a -1.45 minute cushion which is rather THIN. I’ll register on Monday with fingers crossed. I’d cross toes, too, but walked into a stool and broke one two weeks ago which has put a damper on my running! Sad

For those of you with experience, when does one find out if they made the cut?

Just checked my email history. For the 2019 race, incidentally I sent in my registration exactly one year ago today, 9/14/18. I was BQ-6:21, so it was the Friday of week 1. I did not receive my acceptance till 9/24. I felt pretty confident once they opened week 2, and then I started to hear about other acceptances of people in the BQ-5 group. But still, the wait was excruciating. My notification finally came shortly before they officially announced the cutoff. If you qualify at one of the larger races, there is an auto-verification process, which moves more quickly. Otherwise it’s a manual verification of your qualifying time, as mine was, which takes longer. You will know when you register whether your time is auto-verified.

Good luck!

Dave

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks for the info. I've been dying a thousand deaths since, say, last (Saturday) night. But now I know I might be in for a considerable wait. Here I thought my days of waiting by the phone were over :-D

Just checked my email history. For the 2019 race, incidentally I sent in my registration exactly one year ago today, 9/14/18. I was BQ-6:21, so it was the Friday of week 1. I did not receive my acceptance till 9/24. I felt pretty confident once they opened week 2, and then I started to hear about other acceptances of people in the BQ-5 group. But still, the wait was excruciating. My notification finally came shortly before they officially announced the cutoff. If you qualify at one of the larger races, there is an auto-verification process, which moves more quickly. Otherwise it’s a manual verification of your qualifying time, as mine was, which takes longer. You will know when you register whether your time is auto-verified.

Good luck!

CalBears

Sitting on 22+ minutes cushion but not even thinking about registering. Too much effort and money just to run this marathon. Yes, first time was expensive but so exciting (2014), second time was kind of good and of course still expensive (especially taking into account taking time off from work). 2016 - not sure why I ran that year, it just felt like another marathon - only like 10 times more expensive than if I chose and ran one on the West Coast ones - not sure why JMac was complaining about absence of Spring races - just from the top of my head -  Los Angeles early March, Modesto - late March, Avenue of the Giants - early May. All are great races. Pretty sure there are some races in April here - and cheap, no flights or long hotel reservations required. Plus, training for Spring marathon in Northern California is probably has better weather than training for the fall marathon. So, runners of Boston marathon 2020 - I am not taking anybody's spot. Hope you appreciate that Smile But I will take the spot for 2021 - I have a bucket list item to fulfill in Boston 2021 Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I specifically called out “OTQ” spring marathons. Avenue of the Giants and Modesto do not even remotely fit into that category. Spring marathons in general are also tough to time the weather right outside of California, as seen by the disaster that is Boston each year.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

delicate flower

Last year, I registered on Wednesday and got the confirmation on Friday.

<3

From the Internet.

WOOT got my acceptance email this morning! That was quick!

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

OMG, I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Cue a little more hyperventilation, plus the threat of one happy tear creeping out of my left eye.) So much has happened since 2010. I feel like the luckiest human on Planet Earth right now.

My fingers are crossed for everybody still on the fence.

Yup, I'm $205 lighter this morning.

Runners run

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I'm in for try number 2 (injury last year kept me at home)

Tejas Runner

I heard on Monday that I was in.  I am -6:40.   Unfortunately I developed two herniated discs in my lower back that are not responding to treatment.  I am going to go (this will be my third and probably last).  At least I have 6 hours to finish.  Smile

Based on their latest FB post, sounds like there will be some kind of a cutoff. Fingers crossed for all the squeakers out there!

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Squeaker checking in! BQ - 0:47.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Good thing your avatar checked its watch. Congrats! :-D

Squeaker checking in! BQ - 0:47.

slingrunner

Congrats to everybody that got in.  Somewhere around mile 21 during last year's Boston I decided that I would never run another marathon again.  That's traditionally the sort of feeling that disappears the next morning, but this one has lasted for 5 months.  I hope the weather sucks less this year for those that run.  Feel free to ask your logistical questions here... I got some help last year and would be happy to pay it back.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)