New runner with ankle pain (Read 109 times)

Little Blue

If I'm understanding your description, it's pain on the top of your foot, just where it bends from your leg.

I get this pain, too.  There is a tendon there, and mine is terribly sensitive to how tight my shoes are tied.  No, really.  I have to lace my shoes so they're really loose at the top, skipping the last set of holes and using the holes that are offset.  If mine are even a little too tight, I will get what feels like a cramp.  It comes on quick, and I've actually cut short a run and limped back to the car.  From there, it took treating it like a cramp to get it to go away.

My shoes are so loose at the top that I never untie them.  I just slide in and out.  My friend laughs at me.

Look up alternate lacing patterns and see if it helps.

Latent Runner

Should I try running until I first feel the pain, and then stopping? Would trying that twice a day be okay? See if my distance improves? That way I can make sure it's conditioning vs. start of an injury.

Were I coaching you I would advise against two-a-days, in fact, for the time being, I'd advise against running every day as well.  Why?  Because rest is so key to getting your body conditioned to endure the rigors of running.  The more I think about your issue, the more it sounds like tendonitis of some sort, and the sad truth is, tendonitis needs time to heal, if you don't give it said time, it will take said time by hobbling you to the point where you may not be able to run even a step (for a while).

So, what would I recommend were it that I was your coach?

• Slow your pace down at least a minute per mile.
      • Run no more frequently than every other day.
      • Find a trail or a golf course or a park where you can run on dirt or grass.
      • Once you find your sweet spot (speed, distance, and frequency), gradually increase the distance without changing the speed and frequency.
      • Once you're able to run six miles or so with no pain, then you can gradually increase the speed OR frequency OR distance.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      amandaruns29

Thank you to everyone who replied. I ended up doing my same frequency (running about every three days), and trying out different things: lacing patterns, compression socks, KT tape, icing after runs, stretches and exercises for ankles, slowing my pace, etc. I would run two miles max, and the pain would start about 1.5 miles in. On Thursday when I ran, my right foot started to get tingly (which is super-frustrating, because my lungs felt fine and I was ready to pick up my pace... but I didn't!). My pace remains 11.5-12 min/mi. I tried running in grass, but I roll my ankle easily in the lower patches on the ground. Maybe it's just weak ankles!

I ran the 5k today, took a few short walking breaks and finished at 38:38. Disappointed I had to walk some, but it wasn't as much as I thought it would be, though I did have some numbness again in my right foot. I think my next step will be seeing a PT. Part of the swag for this race was a free injury screen to a place in town, so I may try it out.