Is it possible my stress fractures never healed?? (Read 535 times)

I was talking to Zoom-Zoom about this and she thought I should get some good feedback here. I ran CC in high school in 1989 but was told to stop in 1990 by a Doctor when we found out I had 3 stress fractures in my shins. (2 in one leg and 1 in the other). I did what the Doctors and my Mother told me and quit running all together. Flash foward 17 years to last October when I started running again. I am much older, slower and I try to be wiser. I am increasing mileage very slowly and am a vigilant stretcher. BUT when I run a race (5ks now) or sometimes spend a long day on my feet I can pin point these spots like it was 1990 again. The best way to describe it is as if my shin bones have "soft spots" like you would find on an apple. Thats how it feels to me anyway. So my question is did these microscopic breaks I had as a teenager heal or remain are they always going to be my weak spot? Or am I just a freak of nature and should learn to live with it.

Half Fanatic #846

Seems to me that after all that time, they would've completely healed (especially since you quit running after that). Time to go see a sports doc IMHO - that's what I would do. That's really weird. Good luck! Bill Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, girl, did you ever mention this to a doc?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Think you should go to a DOC - and preferably a doc that is also a runner (if you can find one)....

Champions are made when no one is watching

No Doc yet, if I keep my mileage low it seems okay. But when I push up my mileage I get the feeling of soft spots in the exact same spots where the stress fractures where. Maybe I will once kids are back in school.