Pioneer Festival 5k (Read 440 times)

Gang, I finally won (A.D.) a race that has eluded me for all my 12 years of racing. In my town, we have a big festival over Labor Day and they have a 5k associated with it. People come from all around Central Ky for the festival and this race. I won my AD (55-59) with a 20:41. The course is hilly and miserable but it's "home field" for me. I went out too fast, clocking a 6:28 for the first mile. Mile 2 was a bit smarter at 6:47. The last 1.1 was 7:26. I think I was maybe 15th OA out of about 225 runners. This win is very rewarding as I've wanted this one for a long time. Our town has 3 races a year, and the first & last events only draw 100-125 runners. They give out special awards for people who run all 3 races and place high. I've won my AD in the first 2 and the last one is 10/14.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Congratulations Ray! Well done.
        Thank you Ken. It was a course PR for me as well. I had been in the 21's in years past but never a 20:??. sometimes you don't have to get much faster ... just maintain what you have and get older. Wink

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.