That's not a HM! (Read 881 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I'm doing 2 HMs this Fall. One a week from this coming Sat. and another 5 weeks later. The 2nd one is Grand Rapids. Nice race...did it for the first time last year. The one in a couple of weeks is a very small one around a lake (paved trail, some sidewalk, a little bit of roadway) in a community we used to live in (and where did works). Anyhow, I happened to be looking at the course map for the race a week from Sat. It's not 13.1 miles, but something more like 12.6. Cheezy. Why can't they add a little loop of an extra block or something to get the full distance? There goes my shot at a true HM PR. Poo.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

you could start a 0.6 mile earlier than everyone else Smile

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hahahah...no. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

That's so disappointing! What kind of a half marathon is 12.6 miles? I don't get it... Confused Anyway, I'm sure you'll walk at least that other .5 miles before/after the race, so consider it the full distance. Wink I'm running (aka "attempting" to run) a HM this weekend too! I'll be thinking of you out there! Good luck.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good luck, Sara! Have a great time with your race and PR! Big grin Oh, well, this first "HM" of the Fall will still be a fun one. If all goes well I could even be in the top 3 for my AG, given what I see of times from last year--I think there were only 4 or 5 women in my AG for '06! Wink My HM in Late Oct. is the one I'm really working towards. This race in a couple of weeks is mostly just a glorified training run with beer at the finish (it's sponsored by a nice little brewery). Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It evens out: the HM in Tupelo was 14.2 miles.
                This race in a couple of weeks is mostly just a glorified training run with beer at the finish (it's sponsored by a nice little brewery). Smile k
                My kinda race! Not as good as beer, but I'll be running for apple crisp in about a month which isn't a bad second choice. I signed up for a 5K this summer, that turned out to be a 4.2K. The town decided not to let the organizers use a short stretch of road, so they just lopped that loop off and stayed on the conservation area path. It was a little disappointing, but it was still a nice day and everybody walked away with a free pair of shoes so there wasn't much complaining.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...everybody walked away with a free pair of shoes so there wasn't much complaining.
                  Will run for shoes! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Will run for shoes! Big grin k
                    I should have known that would get the attention of RA's favorite shoe harlot. Smile It was the Loco Moose Almost Free Running Shoes 5K, and everybody that coughed up the $35.00 race fee got their choice of Loco shoe on site. They are very reasonably priced (especially if you join Club Loco and order from locorunning.com) so I didn't expect to like them better than my $125 Mizunos. They also tell you on their site how long the shoe will be available, so you can hoard a favorite if you want. In addition to the shoes, part of the fee is donated to the conservation area that the trail run goes through. It's good for the runners, good for Loco and good for the Beaver Brook Reservation. I'll definitely try to hit at least one of the series races again next year.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Was it all a dream?

Figure out where 0.2 miles before the finish line is, go for a 20k PR, and then just coast into the race finish.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Figure out where 0.2 miles before the finish line is, go for a 20k PR, and then just coast into the race finish.
                        There's an idea! Damn, one more reason a Garmin would be a useful thing to have. Then I could just call it a 20k. k

~ Sarah Kay

There's an idea! Damn, one more reason a Garmin would be a useful thing to have. Then I could just call it a 20k. k
                          Do you REALLY need one more reason? It's NOT crack.......

E.J.

So, SO true Big grin
                            2009: BQ?
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay