My improvement is really motivating me (Read 885 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Hi there I started dieting abot 3 months ago. I was 18st13. Now I weigh 16st8.5. The weight is coming off nicely and I feel much better, particularly as I took up running about 8 weks ago. I started being able to do two miles in 23.5 minutes, it was sheer torture and pain, and I had to xtop all the time. I timed 2 miles the other day and I did it in 13min37. It is a great improvement for me, yet I know I can still do better as these were my first two miles, ans I have a tendancy to runb the 3rd and 4th better. I have managed to increase my distance gradually, and tonight, after work, I set out and did 7.86 miles in 1hr10. The time is not great, but I cant believe I can actually run this distance. I managed to do this too without stopping. What a feeling. My incentive is the wright loss and feeling great, and also as my brother is an accomplished fell runner I have all the help I need. It is somewhat difficult however to find a balance I find, between fitness and family life, as it has become somewhat of an obsession. I find that I run better at night. I must be devoted or have the bug becasue I am doing my first 10K run on NY's Eve. I will be aiming for 55 minutes. Anyway, that is my story, love to hear from you guys.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

JakeKnight

More amazing improvement. And if you ran almost 8 in 1:10, you should have no problem with the 55 minute 10k. New Year's Eve sounds like a lot of fun. In the unlikely event I'm sober some New Year's Eve, I'd love to join you. Good luck - and post your results.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A 10k on NYE would be really cool! I hear that increasing pace being a motivator. Nothing like returning from a run to find thay you've run at a faster pace than ever before. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

That's fantastic! You've lost a huge amount of weight and become quite the athlete! 55 minutes would be an amazing time to finish in. I wish you luck with your training and can't wait to hear all about your first 10km! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Finished!

I admire your improvements and weightloss Smile 10K nye sounds like a blast Big grin can't wait to hear about it!
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
            I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
              10K on New Year's Eve sounds like a blast. Nice job. I've always been a night runner myself. I love the way my neighborhood transforms at night, my own private playground sort of...Anyway, sounds like the hooks in you man. You're a runner.

Slow-smooth-fast

thanks for all your comments guys, the only thing is that I am a night runner too, and it seems a lot easier in the night for some reason. All the same I am going to give it my best shot and I will post my findings.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

You'll ruin your knees!

thanks for all your comments guys, the only thing is that I am a night runner too, and it seems a lot easier in the night for some reason. All the same I am going to give it my best shot and I will post my findings.
                  OK, now that you are all svelt and speedy, AND bein's that you're a self proclaimed night runner, I feel it is important to warn you about a problem that I think is in your very near future. Just don't say I didn't warn you... ...OK, you ready...with your speed and running at night combined with your big grin cause you're so happy with all the progress you are making...you simply can't avoid... ...BUGS IN YOUR TEETH! Big grin Confused Enjoy, it's just another source of protein! And congrats on all the great progress! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Slow-smooth-fast

As I have previously mentioned in another thread, I am doing my first ever race on new years eve, 10K. I have about 3 weeks left to race, so has anyone got any tips at all for improving my time. I said that I was aiming for 55 minutes, and I have just got back from a practice run I plotted on this site. Here are my splits: 1 mile 07:52 2 mile 08:07 3.1 miles 09:02 4 mile 08:52 5 mile (forgot to record) 6.2 miles 52:20 Please have a look at my times, and help me if you can, thing to note is that I did it point to point, so the first half was a lot ofshallow downhill, and so the way back was harder, uphill with wind in face. I find the first 2miles the hardest, but as you can see I went harder to get warmed up quicker, I thouht, but believe that it affected my next few miles, as I was suffering. It is hard for me to know what spped to go at the start. Do you guys think that in a race environment times improve over running alone? Please guys, any tips or help will be great. Should I be doing a 10 K 3 or 4 times a week? or doing a 8 miler, with a quick short one etc?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would say do a run that's longer than your race run, with several shorter runs during the week, too. Maybe that 8 miler with a couple of 5 milers--the longer run will help you build endurance and the shorter ones will help to keep your conditioning. And I definitely think you will find that you run faster during a race than you do alone--at least that is the case for most people, barring any injury or illness. It's a combo of adrenaline and wanting to catch and pass people in front of you--that's a great incentive! I'm thinking about doing a 10k on NYD and my running over the last month or so has mainly been 2 shorter runs during the week with a longer weekend run. In May I will be doing a 25k, so over the Winter I am just trying to maintain ~20 miles/week until the weather gets better.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

scrumhalfgirl

Good for you! I'm doing my first 10K on New Years Eve as well!

-Jess

from one racer to another, seeing as it seems like your first race, dont go out with the pack, just stay at ur own pace and dont get intimidated, if you go out too fast itl ruin the rest of the run, so just try and stay at a nice steady pace all the way through and kick it up a notch in the last mile good luck, post your times

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

Congrats on the weight loss AND on getting faster!! A 55 minute 10K sounds like a great way to ring in 2007 Big grin
                            2009: BQ?