calf muscle problems (Read 585 times)

Blah!! I haven't been able to run for a couple of weeks now due to pain in my left calf. I thought it just needed rest, so I did that for a week, but it wasn't much better. So I made an appointment with a masseuse at the health center on campus, and she told me that my entire muscle was severely knotted. She worked on it for a long time, but it's still really tight and sore, so I'm trying hot baths, walks, and lots of stretching. Any advice?? I'm crushed about being sidelined and losing all of the work I've done this fall. What are the best ways to get this thing taken care of and get me back on the road? Help! Undecided

Diesel Power

I bought The Stick a few months back, and found that it works wonders! I normally use it before and after running, or after getting up & before going to bed on off days. My calf knots have stayed away for the most part since using it. I've also read about how you shouldn't stretch an injured muscle (I could be botching this, maybe someone could clarify). I tend to subscribe to that theory... instead, I rely on the ol' RICE method (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Anti-imflammatories also could help. Of course, being that you've been out for a couple of weeks, this is all probably the stuff you've read over and over on every other running site in the world. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Along for the Ride

Yes - RICE for now. And buy the stick. I had the same problem. The massage therapist told me my left calf was extremely tight. When you feel better, also do calf raises to strengthen the calf. My calf gave me weird symptoms going out into my foot - almost like plantar fasciitis Tongue 1. RICE 2. The stick and stretching after runs 3. Calf raises Smile Get better!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Hmm...I'd never heard of The Stick - good advice! I'm willing to try it. Smile