Random Thoughts on the ING New York City Marathon (Read 497 times)

The ING New York City Marathon was my 10th race of the year. Unlike the past few years I went into this race with no injuries and feeling good. Yes, I timed my injuries out well, got them out of the way in January and February and that left me the latter months to get some running in preparation for the Marathon. I decided to do New York this year because some friends from out of town were comming. I signed up for the marathon bus from Westchester. I was assigned to the third wave, group C, Orange corral. My bus left Yonkers (Burger King parking lot) at 7:00am and went through New Jersey. I sat next to a nice young fellow whose wife talked him into running. We were delayed on the highway but arrived before 8am. My friends had stayed in Manhattan and got on the 6am bus from the Library. They got to the starting area at around 7am and had to wait many hours for the start of the race. They had just tons of clothing on but they complained of being cold. Actually the weather was pleasent, in the low 40's with a bit of a wind but fair and sunny. Dunkin Donuts coffee was pretty good, small cups so I went back for another. We all started together but I lost them all on the bridge. I found that the wave starts really helped the congestion and made the race with 40,000 participants much more enjoyable. I loved the part going through Brooklyn, especially the tree lined streets near mile 8-9 nice area. Not so many people in costume this year, though there were two young ladies dressed as candy corns. Halfway point 2:05 or thereabouts. So I was on the dark silent Queensborough bridge, near my childhood home. I made it onto First avenue just fine, and started running through the noisy din of that area but my knees started hurting by mile 18. By Mile 22 they were worse and by mile 24 my back joined in. I was taking walking breaks by then. I finished in 4:29:41. I just asked my friends about the race. They have done Chicago, and Marine Corps and Baltimore. They said that based on the experience, they wouldn't run New York again. I guess I'll have to consider maybe joining them next year, where ever they go. The expo was scaled back this year, not so many free samples. I was reading my law textbook while on the bus down to Manhattan and on the way to the Javitts Center. My Crim Law Professor found that I had ran the New York Marathon and announced it to the class. To my surprise I got cheers from the other students. I have just now started back to running again. I hope to long in my 1000th mile of 2008 soon.
    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
      By the way, I no longer look like my avatar photo as my 4th toenail has turned black.
      I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

#artbydmcbride

All of the fun and none of the excitement. Big grin Congratulations on injury free running (except the newly blackened toenail) and running the New York marathon. Nice job.

Runners run