Inside Thigh keeps being sore - any ideas (Read 958 times)

On my right leg, the inside thigh continues to be sore. Its getting a little annoying but hasnt stopped me from running, but has slowed me down a little. Its more of a dull pain that has been there for 3 weeks (maybe 4) but doesn't seem to get worse - but won't go away either.. I can get in my runs, but have to start slower - sometimes its extra tender. Can run easy, but wouldnt want to race... Been taking advil and heat balm (ben gay like stuff) and it stays in check but won't stop hurting........ Sad Any ideas from anyone would be helpful...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Bugs

Sounds like you have a tight muscle in there. You need to figure out which muscle and stretch it lots. Groin? Hamstring? You'll probably have to stretch it several times for a day or two to get it better. I have hip flexors that like to tighten up on me and I have to stretch them regularly for a day or two when they act up, about every 30 minutes.

Bugs

thumbs up!

Have you done any searching on adductor muscle? Some kind soul here at RA suggested it when I was having inner thigh pain too. It ended up being my ailment. Good luck getting to the source of your pain.
        2010 Goals
        1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
        2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
        3. sub 30 min 5k
        4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
          I was having similar issues awhile back, closer to the knee...I bought a foam roller this last spring and its really helped with working out deep tissue pains/aches. Might be worth a shot, hope it starts feeling better!
            Have you done any searching on adductor muscle? .
            I think this is specifically what my issue is. Looked them up on WEB and am positive it is the adductore brevius or the adductor longus. Based on the chart that I'm looking at, these are where it hurts. I have been doing some stretching of that area and also think I had a pair of shoes that was aggravating the pain just a little too......so I got new shoes and am doing a variety of stretching/yoga exercised.......but I think you nailed it... Will continue to stretch them good a couple of times per day...but I think they are getting better.... Big grin Thanks for your assistance everyone.....John

thumbs up!

For what it's worth, the only thing the helped me was a hiatus from running. I took several weeks off and rode my bke, played tennis... anything that strengthened my other leg muscles, not just the ones that propel forward. But, as you know, everyone is different. Hopefully you can heal AND run.
              2010 Goals
              1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
              2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
              3. sub 30 min 5k
              4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                For what it's worth, the only thing the helped me was a hiatus from running. I took several weeks off and rode my bke, played tennis... anything that strengthened my other leg muscles, not just the ones that propel forward. But, as you know, everyone is different. Hopefully you can heal AND run.
                That was a consideration....I thought about taking off a week or more, to see what happens, but then I remembered that if I couldnt run, I'd probably turn into a flaming a__h___, and my wife and kids would hate me....so I decided to try to trek on... For the past few evenings, I did a long series of stretches and yoga postures that really seem to have helped. Additionally, the shoes that I had been running in were for people with a sever pronation and Im very very mild (or neutral), so the combination of my yoga/stretches and different shoes 'seem' to be solviing the problem. It doesnt hurt as much as is did and I only take advil once in a while instead of carrying the bottle around with me, and I havent used the heat balm for a couple of days now, so 'hopefully' I'm getting there.... Big grin Big grin Your info was dead on........it helped me a lot.....thanks Penny.... Smile

Also get an exercise resistance band, attach it to something stationary, and work your adductors: I do a set of 50 for each leg every day. Plus stretching, and I'm feeling the results.
                    Also get an exercise resistance band, attach it to something stationary, and work your adductors: .
                    This is great idea.....i think Ill pick one up tomorrow.....thanks...... Wink

If you are a gym-goer, the adductor machine (looks like some sort of medieval birthing rack) does the same thing, and you can vary the resistance much more precisely. MTA: Also, the resistance is on the inner thigh, so there is no sideways pressure at the knee joint. MTA again (I should really think things through ahead of time): In martial arts, a common exercise is to do sideways splits about halfway down, and then try to squeeze the floor together between your feet (holding for about 15 secs and relaxing, then repeating a few times). This works the adductors isometrically.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

If you are a gym-goer, the adductor machine (looks like some sort of medieval birthing rack) does the same thing, and you can vary the resistance much more precisely.
                        Duhhhhh - sometimes I can't believe how stupid I am. I do go to the gym (a good one with everythig) and I didnt even think about the adductor machine....i used it last night (very light weights and lots of reps) and will continue ever other day for a while...... Thanks ------- Big grin

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I was warned to make sure to use the ABductor machine along with the ADductor one to avoid an imbalance in muscle strength or something. The gym person said to use the SAME resistance for both machines, too. Good luck!
                            I was warned to make sure to use the ABductor machine along with the ADductor one to avoid an imbalance in muscle strength or something. The gym person said to use the SAME resistance for both machines, too. Good luck!
                            Thanks for the tip Theresa.... I have done a lot of work in the gym in the past years and when I lift weight, i have been told and have always worked the off setting or opposite muscles. So last evening when I was at the gym, I was cautious to do both machines and with the same (very light) weights and lots of reps....