Achilles tendinitis (Read 431 times)

oldone

Have had an achilles issue for about 6 months now. Rested completely for 2 after icing, message, Epsom salt soaks, and stretching. No difference at all! Started back running again and am basically still in the same place. Only hurts bad after a tempo effort or race; other than that it is bearable. Anyone used anything that worked for this issue?

I had 4 months of therapy 3x a week. Lots of low weight strength training and balance ball kind of stuff.. some good hands on work directly to it by my therapists. Reason I had so much therapy was 2/3 thru they determined it was tendinosis. Once this came thru and they determined I had to run my way back into it I was being watched on a treadmill, immediate therapy afterwards and I'm sure it cost my mom a ton at the time. I would let you know, though, that there is a ton of info buried in these forums and the search function will give you hours worth of reading material.

Tin Cup

Graston Technique on my Achilles saved my first Marathon with only 10 days before the event.   I'm a believer.   A few touch up sessions after the Marathon.     Check it out.

Tin Cup

wayne fausett

Google Alfredson (Dr who developed the strengthening regime) and eccentric achilles strengthening, my friend and go from there.  And persistence is the key. If you have had this problem for 6 months, it will take at least half that long to get on top of it (I'm a Sports Physiotherapist by trade).  Good luck.

Most of my issues are a result for tight muscles. Look into trigger point therapy. I got the book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook," and it's a blessing. You can find free information by searching google, however, you'll have to dig. If your achilles issue is a result from trigger points, you can get relief pretty quick by releasing the muscle causing the pain. You'll be surprised how fast the pain goes away.

wayne fausett

Most of my issues are a result for tight muscles. Look into trigger point therapy. I got the book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook," and it's a blessing. You can find free information by searching google, however, you'll have to dig. If your achilles issue is a result from trigger points, you can get relief pretty quick by releasing the muscle causing the pain. You'll be surprised how fast the pain goes away.

A good point.  Trigger points up through the calf muscles can contribute to Achilles problems.  Trigger point release via acupuncture is a great way to deactivate trigger points.  Can be a bit uncomfortable at the time, but the benefits far outway the discomfort.