pain on the inside top of foot (Read 2019 times)

Any ideas? It does not hurt while running, but after.  The pain goes from the top of the foot, toward the arch.   My friend just switched to very minimal shoes, I hope it's not from the new shoes.   

- Anya

SMART Approach

Any ideas? It does not hurt while running, but after.  The pain goes from the top of the foot, toward the arch.   My friend just switched to very minimal shoes, I hope it's not from the new shoes.   

Tying shoe strings to tight??? Is if pain/swelling or just some discomfort? If changing shoes is the only thing she is doing different then that has to be considered also. I would have her try her old shoes for a couple runs and see how she feels.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

i've been having some similar pain. recently took up running in racing flats, as they allow me to run without aggravating the knee injury that kept me out of commission for 5 years. knee hasn't been a problem so far (i'm 5 weeks into my comeback), but my right foot will sometimes hurt after running- at first it feels like the pain is on the top of the foot and might be a bone issue, but then it migrates to the arch, and i worry that it's PF ready to rear its head. i just make sure to run easy, as i used to be a heel striker, and now running in flats helps me to land on my forefoot. one result is that my achilles, calves, and other muscles in the feet/ankle aren't used to this new way of running, so they have to adjust to the stress, and i think that's the source of discomfort. 

i was on a one day on, one day off schedule, but now i've transitioned to 2 days running, 1 day rest. i've also been massaging my arch by taking a golf ball and just rolling my foot over it to loosen up the plantar fascia. some days the foot will still bother me, other days it won't. 

so tell your friend to run easy, scale back the mileage as well, and get plenty of rest, especially if it's his/her first time running in flats/minimalist footwear.  and if so, make sure your friend is landing on the forefoot, as heel striking in flats/minimalist shoes is a recipe for disaster. much of the transition for me has been focusing on form, as it tends to go to hell when we're tired. 

Thanks,

The only thing new are the shoes, and they are the Brooks Pure. He has great running form, and says he loves the shoes. His old shoes were pretty lightweight too, but not like these ones. 

He describes it as the top of the foot below the ankle, to the arch.   We've been icing it, but he has not fully rested yet.   I just wish I knew what it was.  LIke what type of injury it was.    I've ordered him to rest it for at least a week. 

- Anya

Does this describe the kind of pain he's got going on? 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Does this describe the kind of pain he's got going on? 

Thanks, I showed him this and he says it may be what he's feeling.   Thanks.  It's so hard to post on behalf of someone else, but he would never post anything. So, what else could I do :-) 

I just know that with my ITBS, you guys totally helped me through it.  I am so grateful for all the advice I got. 

- Anya

I've been dealing with PTT since November and it's just started improving the last couple weeks. I had also switched to more minimal shoes, the Saucony Kinvaras. I rotated in some more traditional neutral trainers but I also ramped my mileage a bit too much. Too much mileage too quickly in less supportive shoes caused a nice case of PTT. Lesson learned. 

what helped:

• Rest. Killed me to do it but I basically took 3 weeks off. Sucked but running re-aggravated it. 
                • Strengthening exercises: barefoot balancing on the affected foot helped the most. I also used an exercise band to strengthen that ankle. 
                • Bucket of ice water: Nothing works better for inflammation. 
                • New shoes: when i was able to run I started back in new, more traditional 12mm heel-toe drop shoes, Adidas Adizero Bostons. Still light and neutral but a little more shoe than the Kinvaras. 
                • Stretching - especially the soleus. I feel it right in the ankle when I stretch the soleus. Tight soleus was a real problem.

I ran in my Kinvaras today for the first time since early November and my ankle felt fine. Tendons take time, especially if you're over 40. 

I've been dealing with PTT since November and it's just started improving the last couple weeks. I had also switched to more minimal shoes, the Saucony Kinvaras. I rotated in some more traditional neutral trainers but I also ramped my mileage a bit too much. Too much mileage too quickly in less supportive shoes caused a nice case of PTT. Lesson learned. 

what helped:

• Rest. Killed me to do it but I basically took 3 weeks off. Sucked but running re-aggravated it. 
                  • Strengthening exercises: barefoot balancing on the affected foot helped the most. I also used an exercise band to strengthen that ankle. 
                  • Bucket of ice water: Nothing works better for inflammation. 
                  • New shoes: when i was able to run I started back in new, more traditional 12mm heel-toe drop shoes, Adidas Adizero Bostons. Still light and neutral but a little more shoe than the Kinvaras. 
                  • Stretching - especially the soleus. I feel it right in the ankle when I stretch the soleus. Tight soleus was a real problem.

I ran in my Kinvaras today for the first time since early November and my ankle felt fine. Tendons take time, especially if you're over 40. 

Thanks, very much.    I really like the ice bucket.  I am big on direct ice.

- Anya

SMART Approach

Or, ice massage. Put frozen water in styrofoam cup in freezer. Peel away top so hands still on styrofoam and massage way with a bit of pressure for 5 min.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Or, ice massage. Put frozen water in styrofoam cup in freezer. Peel away top so hands still on styrofoam and massage way with a bit of pressure for 5 min.

Yes, ice massage is  key.  Someone here suggested it to me when I had a bad case of ITBS.  Maybe it was you! I used that foam cup 3 times a day , and swear by it.  I have been trying to ice his foot at least twice a day, and he uses a traditional ice pack himself.  I think direct ice is a million times better. It just doesn't compare. 

- Anya

Jeniffer

Great! I hope by this time the pain might be lessened.