New 5k PR (Read 276 times)

Daniel

I ran my second 5k this weekend and ran it in 23 minutes flat. It was 27 seconds faster than my time from about a month ago. I'm pretty excited about this going from barely being able to run a mile a year ago to having now run a one mile sprint, 2 5ks, a 15k and a half marathon. Up next is an 8k, Smokey mountain half and 5k and another half in October.

Is 23 minutes a good time? I'm pretty excited about it and came in 11th overall and 3rd in my age group. But everyone in front of me was quite a bit faster than me. It was a local race so not a great showing of really fast runners either.

DaBurger

Is 23 minutes a good time? I'm pretty excited about it and came in 11th overall and 3rd in my age group. But everyone in front of me was quite a bit faster than me. It was a local race so not a great showing of really fast runners either.

23 minutes is good for someone who has been running for about a year, but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't very fast.

~18:45 (6 minute pace) for 5ks is usually pretty competitive for men in local races.  I'd say anyone approaching that is running an objectively good time.  True elite 5ks are run in the neighborhood of 13 minutes.

This is separate from someone saying they ran a good/bad time for them which is relative to their previous performances/current fitness.  If I ran an 18:45 5k, I'd say I ran very poorly (my pr is 16:05) but if you ran 22:00 your next 5k, you'll have run very well.

Know thyself.

an amazing likeness

I understand what you’re asking because it’s only natural to be curious if all your hard work in training is, well, working.

Let’s use your own words:

• 1 year ago you could barely run a mile
        • You knocked off 27 seconds from your previous 5K
        • 23:00 is not a pace most people can run without investing real training effort

Sounds like a pretty good day at the races to me.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Is 23 minutes a good time? I'm pretty excited about it

Then, yes, it is.

Is 23 minutes a good time?....came in 11th overall and 3rd in my age group. But everyone in front of me was quite a bit faster than me. It was a local race so not a great showing of really fast runners either.

If you must compare yourself with others, then, yes, it's still a pretty good time, isn't it?

Still, as runners, we need some perspective and humility. There will always be faster runners out there who can beat us easily (if they show up), and that's okay too.  Just enjoy the run! Smile

Good job on the PR, Daniel. 

Now to keep things in perspective.  There are always people faster...like this cyclist...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg&t=2s

Ha ha.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Daniel

Thanks for the insight. I'm still trying to figure it all out. When I finished I knew I still have work to do and I'm trying to keep losing some weight which I know will help me get faster, but at 195 lbs I'm not a race horse. I have really enjoyed getting to compete at something with these races. Even if I'm only racing against my old times.

Just enjoy the run! Smile -This is what i do. Gonna bust out 3, MAYBE 5  tomorrow, on a treadmill. Then, hit the crag for a few hours of climbing.  I gradually started running a month or so ago after my heel injury. First time back on a treadmill, I was lil' tentative, 10 min. mile, sped up to 6 min. mile held for 2 miles, then slowed to 8 min. mile for 1 mile. Felt fine the NEK day, no pain at all.  Now, I'm not a badass like a lot of others here, but 23 min seems pretty fast.

RunNow

Average 5K times for men in the U.S. in 2016 was just under 29 minutes, so you are SUPER fast compared to the vast majority of male runners in the U.S.!!!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good job on the PR, Daniel. 

Now to keep things in perspective.  There are always people faster...like this cyclist...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg&t=2s

Ha ha.

Here's a more runner-oriented one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcChqf5-KpM

(Although they quote his mile time, which is not as good as his 1500 times)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Here's a more runner-oriented one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcChqf5-KpM

(Although they quote his mile time, which is not as good as his 1500 times)

Haha! I love anti-commercial commercials.

jmsab23

If you are wondering how good your time is compared with others, you can try age-grading. If you want to know if your time was a good time, ask yourself if you left anything on the course. How much did you have left when you finished? Think  "Finish On Empty." Be honest.

https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

ultramarathon/triathlete

3rd in your AG and 11th overall is a good indication it's a good speed.   27 secs knocked off is great work!  Keep it going and add some speed work weekly to your routine if you don't already.  Speed work with a team/club is even better --you'll run harder with others and that will push your 5k times down.

Bigger congrats to being able to run a good speed while having twin toddlers.  As someone with twins I can say that's a huge accomplishment in and of itself!   If you have a double stroller, do some hill repeats with the kids while they sleep.  Great speedwork!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Daniel

Thanks it's going well