From 2:36 to 2:29, ?? for Spaniel (Read 721 times)

Why is it sideways?

Since this information emerged on this thread, and I'm looking to make a similar jump in the next year or so, I'd love to hear what sort of training allowed you to do this, if you're willing to share.

Feeling the growl again

It is hard to say exactly. I ran 2:37 at Boston 2001, and that was a dream race for me (ie, I ran up to my potential given my training). A year later I ran 2:36 at Glass City (Toledo) Marathon 2002, but I was VERY hypothermic into a 15-20 mph headwind the last 10 miles so I'd probably improved to 2:32-2:33 potential by adding 10-20 mpw onto my training. Over the summer of 2002 I consistently ran 60-70 mpw but was not doing any serious marathon training. In early August I ran a decent 10-miler (sub-56 on a very challenging course) and elected to run Chicago with only 2 months to prepare. I elected to do a moderate mileage/high intensity program given the short time frame. I did intervals on Tuesdays, like 8X800 and 6X1000 or 4-5Xmile. At that time I'd split the shorter repeats into 2 sets with a longer recovery double that of the regular recovery between intervals between the sets (I don't believe in that any more). On Thursdays I did a medium-long run of 12-14 miles but did LONG, demanding tempo runs of 6-10.5 miles during them. Additionally, I only averaged in the 70s mpw with a high of 83 during this period, below the 90-100mpw I'd reached training for Toledo. I kept the mileage a little lower because even on most of my easy days I did some form of quality, even if it was 10X200m FAST/1min slow. I actually didn't do well for the long runs, the longest GOOD one was 16 miles though I did a couple of 20-milers on HOT days where I had to walk portions to avoid heat stroke. The result was that when I started my taper 2 weeks out I felt I was at the very limit of what my body could handle before I snapped. I hit the taper perfectly, came into Chicago and had an amazing race to run 2:29. I probably could have gone a little faster but I had an issue at the start and missed getting into my corral up front, so I had to take the sidelines and took 30sec to cross the line. I went out too fast with the adrenaline and didn't slow back down for 6 miles. This cost me over the last 3 miles. If I could go back, I'd obviously take longer to prepare and use a different strategy. While that plan worked it was not optimal. I go with evenly-recovered intervals now, 800s early working up to 3X3K with 5min recovery. I am still a BIG fan of the medium-long run with long tempo work. I'd have figured a way to get the long runs on cooler days. I'd have not done the "quality every day" as I had longer to prepare and would have had easier easy days. I would have run higher weekly mileage. But all this assumes I would have made the decision to run the marathon earlier. In 2006 I did everything right and ran like 8 of 9 weeks 100 mpw or more, Tuesday intervals, Thursday medium-long runs, and weekend long runs with fast finishes better than marathon pace. This led me to an awesome 10K a month prior to my goal marathon that had me thinking 2:21-2:23 was realistic. But I got a hamstring injury from the spikes and went into the marathon VERY flat, giving up my aspirations at only 3 miles, going thru half in 1:12:30, and decided just to run sub-6 from 15 miles on to get a PR and did 2:28. I'd recommend: 1) Mileage. Run more, you should get faster. 2) Get a solid medium-long run in with tempo work. Forget 4-mile tempo runs, too short. Maybe every other one but you need longer efforts. 3) Some effort in every other long run. Alternate long (18-23) with pretty long (16-18) and put some solid effort over the last 25% of the pretty long ones and the last mile of the long ones. 4) keep some intervals for speed. Keep recoveries relatively short and build them up over a mile in length.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Jeff; The only thing I would add to this discussion is if you can bring your 10k time down to say sub 33 or better you should be able to run a faster marathon. I was a 10k/xc guy so my mileage was around 80-100mpw long runs of 18-20 miles with tempo runs, hiil training, specific interval workout (eg 5 x 1 mile). What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another. I agree with what Nobby says. It's great to see how other people train but in the end it's a very individual sport both physically and mentally. Just work hard at it and set realistic goals for yourself. Cheers

Why is it sideways?

I'd recommend: 1) Mileage. Run more, you should get faster. 2) Get a solid medium-long run in with tempo work. Forget 4-mile tempo runs, too short. Maybe every other one but you need longer efforts. 3) Some effort in every other long run. Alternate long (18-23) with pretty long (16-18) and put some solid effort over the last 25% of the pretty long ones and the last mile of the long ones. 4) keep some intervals for speed. Keep recoveries relatively short and build them up over a mile in length.
          Thanks. All of this advice sounds reasonable. Right now I'm trying to get healthy, but the hope is that I can get in shape to run 2:35 by this fall and then aim towards something faster than that in spring of 2009. That's when I'm scheduled to finish my Ph.D., and it would be awesome to hit a sub 2:30, too. I'm a former DIII runner with a 3:59 1500m and 15:09 5k PR from college, but just started training seriously again last year. I was able to run 2:38 off of 70-90 mpw of high-end aerobic mileage (6:20-6:40 pace) and a hard med. length (8-10 mile) tempo or mile repeats (~10k pace) once a week. I think that by backing off a bit on my everyday runs (down to 7:30's) I can add some more quality and stay away from the PF problems that emerged this fall. ciauxc1980, I had similar advice from a local runner who I respect. Thanks for your input. I guess I've been at this long enough to know that to a large extent it's a make it as you go sort of endeavor.

Feeling the growl again

My tune-up 10K 3 weeks out from 2:29 was 33:30. I never broke 15:37 5K to run 2:29 and I tried many times. I am a strength runner, I have poor natural speed (best 400m ever :59, 2:06 800m). Given your times from college I would say you'll likely need to be a bit quicker over 10K to hit 2:30 than I did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills