Walking (Read 629 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Should I include walking in my milage log or it is it irrelevant. I usually do a couple of 4 mile walks at medium. pace every week. Should I include them just as a record or are they relevant as part of my aerobic training.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

My Hero

From a quick peek at your workouts I would say that walking won't give you much of an aerobic workout unless you like walk very very fast. One thing that caught my eye though is your race time for the 10K (39:00) @ 6:20 pace (my times 20 yrs. ago) and your 12 mile "easy" runs @ 7:30's seems like they are run a little too hard hard compared to your race times. Then again, maybe your walks are what allow you to keep the gas pedal nailed to floor all the time?
        The really cool thing about the Running Ahead logs is that you can customize however you want......so if you want to include walking as an entry you can ==== personally I walk quite a bit, but I dont enter them just because I like to keep my running log simply a running log......but again that is my personal way of doing it...you should and can do what you think is right......Another option is to include walks in as a cross training section .... so they are logged, but dont get into your "running log"....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

d your 12 mile "easy" runs @ 7:30's seems like they are run a little too hard hard compared to your race times. Then again, maybe your walks are what allow you to keep the gas pedal nailed to floor all the time?
          I Know! Been told this so many times. I am trying to slow things down a bit but this feels a natural easy pace for me. The legs do start to go a bit around the 10mile mark but I havent done a lot of long runs yet so this might improve.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

pjena

I log walking if I'm walking fast enough or far enough to need to wear my running shoes so that I'm keeping track of the miles on my shoes. I don't log a slow walk around the neighborhood with the kids.
              Mixing walking with running might help to increase weekly milage Big grin http://www.rrca.org/resources/articles/walkrun.html
              Increasing your weekly mileage How many times have you heard after a race, "If only I could have squeezed in more miles in training..." Easier said than done. The biggest problem with adding mileage is that it can lead to every runner's nightmare a downward spiral of injury or overtraining. Walking can help avoid this problem both by extending the distance of the long run and by reducing the impact of extra mileage. If you include a long easy run in your program to build up endurance, then walking can help. For marathoners, half-marathoners, and 10K runners, those long aerobic runs can really punish the body. Walking breaks can make the long runs a little less taxing on the body, so you can recover faster. Depending on your schedule, a quicker recovery might make it easier for you to handle some of the faster miles, making the rest of your training week more productive.