Shoes (Read 868 times)

Matt_Squires

How often should I replace my shoes? I've heard 6 months....150 miles...Can anyone elaborate for me?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Generally the rule of thumb is 6 months/300-500 miles. That said, YMMV. Some (fortunate) people can get well over 500 miles from a shoe, others of us are lucky to get 250. I am about ready to retire a pair of shoes that I really thought I could get over 250 out of, but 216 miles on them and my last several runs have all sucked. Ran over 13 miles in the same shoe model with only ~50 miles and it was MUCH better. So I'm thinking it's probably time to ditch the older ones. I'll try one more run in them to see if maybe it was coincidence that the last few runs in them have been so uncomfortable. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I generally find that around 400 miles is when my running shoes evolve to "lawn mowing shoes." If I go much over 400 miles, I seem to get the mystery aches and pains. Rather than suffer, I just retire the shoes.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

PWL

Has been

I'm a 200-250 guy. It's not so much that they are worn out, I just get bored with them. And I'm a dirty boy shoe whore! (term copyright Kirsten/Zoom-Zoom) Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! But seriously...I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford to train for a marathon next year. Right now I'm pretty well set on the clothing end of things, but if I finally get down to my goal weight even that won't be the case. 15+#s will definitely make me at least a full size smaller in all of my pants/skirts/tights. Between that and the shoes I had definitely better be making some money...good thing my son just started school so that I can find a job! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

derek

I've only been running for just over a year, but I've found that it actually varies from shoe-to-shoe. I had a pair that lasted just 240 miles. I could tell it was time to change it as I wasn't getting any cushioning anymore. I now run in a New Balance shoe designed for high mileage and I used the first pair for 500 miles. They still feel good, but I got a new pair to replace it. I'm reluctant to go over 500 miles, but I will keep it as a backup.

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Derek, which shoe is that? I've run almost exclusively in NBs (including the 1222, which is touted as a "high mileage" trainer) and never managed more than ~250 in any model--and I've worn 3 different models. I think it's more me than the shoes. k

~ Sarah Kay

va

I ran about 475 miles on each of my last 2 pairs of Asics Gel Nimbus VIII shoes.
                  derek

Derek, which shoe is that? I've run almost exclusively in NBs (including the 1222, which is touted as a "high mileage" trainer) and never managed more than ~250 in any model--and I've worn 3 different models. I think it's more me than the shoes. k
                    I run in 1061's which are neutral cushioning shoes. My current pair only has 230 miles on them, but I just ordered a new pair today so I can rotate them. Derek

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...I seem to recall a similar discussion a while back when we came to a bit of a conclusion that stability shoes seem to have more noticeable breakdown issues at lower mileage. I'm wondering if there's some truth to that. It almost seems that my more stable shoes gave me the least mileage. k

~ Sarah Kay