Runner changing to Tri. (Read 1547 times)

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Hello All, I have been a pretty diligent runner for the past five years. 25-35 m/wk. 35 yo m. After six marathons (PR 3:35) and a bunch of HM's, I am planning to do a tri this year. Who has converted over, and what were some learning points to consider? Did you start with the sprint? or Olympic? Amy suggestions on training, base building etc would be helpful. Happy running..

left-right-left-right-repeat

to a certain extent it depends on what your swimming and cycling are like now. assuming you can swim a bit and cycle a bit then given your running background you can already do a sprint tri. olympic needs a bit more work. if you swim well then just keep it ticking over. if you don't swim well then get lessons. good technique is more important than lots of swim miles. either way its over in no time so don't worry about it. cycling base is built much like running base. cycle lots. cycling is where you can make the biggest gains so in fact cycle lots and lots. if you want to train to do well at tri then you likely will need to ignore the temptation to run and instead replace some runs with cycling. train the things you aren't so good at rather than the things you already do well. every once in a while practise doing a hardish bike ride followed by a short (1-2 mile) run - it gets your legs used to the jelly leg feeling of running off the bike. and basically enjoy it. tri is lots of fun. and very addictive.
      TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

I fit that description! Running a long long time. Biking since mid 80's but can't keep up with the "real" bikers. Maybe 20mph. Had to learn to swim. 5:30 Half Ironman last season. I would rate a half iron tri equal to a marathon in difficulty. Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

go Care Bear go!

Triathlon is AWESOME!!! Try it... you will definitely like it! Mandy gives some good advice. I was a swimmer most of my "formative" years, swimming competitively through grade school, high school, college and a couple of years of masters after that. Never a record breaker, but a solid swimmer who LOVES the water. Fast forward about 20 years and now my big thing is tennis and running for the last 5 or so. I've always had a bike, but mostly just for recreational bike trail rides or to get from A to B. So, last spring I got this wild hair about doing a tri and long story short, did 2 sprints and CANNOT wait til this summer to do more (and maybe an Oly distance one!). I had such a blast and the tri community seems to be so friendly and accepting of anyone willing to give it a go. Just the best!! I got a new road bike after my first one and am having a great time learning all about biking. That is definitely my weak part of this gig. Get a basic book about triathlon at your library or bookstore and start learning about it. Ask a bunch of questions (here!) and sign up for one early in the summer. I wish I had done my first one before August last year cause I was a little late to the party! But what fun it is.... such a great feeling of accomplishment! I'll add that the first one I did was HUGE (3000 or so) and all women and the second maybe 600 (coed) and both were just great. All ages, abilities, sizes, shapes etc. at both and just a terrific time all around. A couple of websites to look at are beginnertriathlete.com and trinewbies.com. Some good stuff there.
          Cashmason

Same here. Started as a runner. Still like to run and do road races but love tri's. I started with sprints. The running part is obviously easy. But you do need to learn to do what we call bricks. Which is a bike workout, immediately followed by a run. The run can be short even just a mile. But you will find the first quarter mile or so that your legs feel weird, like jello or spaghetti. After that they are fine. If you are currently not much of a swimmer, you need to learn that. Its a whole lot different doing distance swimming than playing Marco Polo in the pool. You also need to learn to swim in open water, which is more mental than physical. Often you can not even see your elbow much less the visibility you get in the pool. You also need to learn to sight the buoys, because its easy to get way off course if you don't sight every 5 strokes or so. Biking should come fairly easily, but your butt will be sore the first 10 times you ride until you get used to it. You will also need to learn to ride with a bunch of people nearby. They are not supposed to draft off you but they can get real close as they pass and its even more fun if you are both cornering at the same time. You also need to learn to balance your time between running, swimming and biking. You won't be running as much as you used too. And you also need to keep balancing hard days and easy days just like you did with running, but now a hard ride day might be followed by an easy run day etc. Welcome to the Dark Side. Cash

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Thanks for all your replies. I am looking forward to the change in training, to correct muscle imbalances that have developed over the years, a fresh training plan, and learning something new. In HS I swam competitively, however, that was 15+ years ago! So my form must be a little off by now. Smile My marathon cross train workouts were either a rest day, short time on the bike or walks. (Usually rest days) I never felt like the bike gave me the cardio boost a run did, but I realized yesterday there are muscles in my legs that have not been worked in long time. Plus it is cold outside. Recently, I bought a bike, and there is a pool at a local club near our house. All the groundwork is out there, now I just need to move on and do it. My plans are to take 4-6 to build a little bit of a cross base, then start on 14-18 week training program for a race in June. Happy training.

VictorN

In HS I swam competitively, however, that was 15+ years ago! So my form must be a little off by now. Smile
                I'm also a runner who has recently dabbled in tris. Interestingly, I also swam in high school and a little in college, but for me that was 30 years ago. Amazingly, my form was pretty good, so yours is probably OK too. I haven't ever done much swim training, and certainly not much stroke work, but I'm pretty competitive in the swim, as long as I get on the feet of the right person and don't follow anybody out towards the middle of the lake. I think you will do better than you think in the swim. Coming from a running background is also great. It is nice having your last leg be your strongest. Given that you have a swimming and running background, you will need to focus on the bike. Pick up a copy of The Triathlete's Bible. I find that the hardest part is allocating the appropriate amount of my limited time to the various sports. This book will help with that. Victor
                TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Do we have the beginnings of an active forum here??!! I'm starting a topic on the dreaded trainer sessions. cArig

TriAndStopMe

If you once swam competitively, you'll have a big leg up on most first timers. I came to biking first, then added in running, and then finally, the swim. I never learned free-style as a kid, so I had a lot to learn. And nearly all tris near me are in open ocean water, which tends to be be much rougher than lakes. For a non-swimmer from the Midwest, getting used to the ocean takes some doing. I did my first two sprints this season and plan to do sprints and olys and maybe something a little longer this summer depending on how much work demands cut into training time. When you line up for your first tri, know that you'll have an advantage over many of the first timers who don't have a background in swimming. You might be surprised to know how many people line up for that first tri seriously wondering if they'll survive the swim.

Gotta TRI

Another beginner TRI-er here. Started with running (4 mos. ago) have started swimming, and adding a little biking in. Still running outside, other two are inside for another couple of months. But so far, having fun. Wouldn't mind seeing more Tri posting here Big grin Andy
                      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                        i've gone the other way! from being an active triathlete over the last few years (all distances from sprint to IM) i finally decided in 2007 to concentrate back on running again. haven't been on my bike or in the pool in months!
                        TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

i've gone the other way! from being an active triathlete over the last few years (all distances from sprint to IM) i finally decided in 2007 to concentrate back on running again. haven't been on my bike or in the pool in months!
                          Oh my. I tend to concentrate on tris only part of the year, and then switch back to running. But I always keep "some" swimming and biking in there for variety.

Count me as another runner that did a couple tris last summer for the first time. All good advice so far. No question you can do it and you'll love it. I was a weak swimmer and a casual mountain biker. In fact my first tri was an XTERRA http://www.xterraplanet.com/ sprint. A ton of fun. You've got a lot of experienced people in this group so make sure you ask lots of questions.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

There is a local triathlon club in my area that has approx 500 members. Are these worthwhile?

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

There is a local triathlon club in my area that has approx 500 members. Are these worthwhile?
                                500! Holy crap! My local buddies group is about a dozen or more. The local official group is maybe 50 active and more inactive.