Running 5K Saturday morning (Read 789 times)

LTD

Hey all. I am running a 5K Race Saturday morning, and I am wondering what to run for the next four days to be best prepared. Thanks' Terry
      Hey Terry, Not sure if this is "the" answer, but it's my $.02... 5K - I would stick with my regular routine, which is run Tues and Thurs, normal mileage. Tempo run on Tues, easy on Thurs, race on Saturday. If you get a chance, walk or drive the course ahead of time to get familiar with the terrain, if you are not already familiar with it. Good luck!! Jeff

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Good Luck Terry! I would just keep regular with my training plan and enjoy the race.
        I love to eat, therefore I must run!
        LTD

Thanks. I will just do what I would normally do this wek for training without the race. And go Saturday and enjoy. It is the Frosty 5K in Charlotte, NC. supposed to be 35 degrees that morning. Terry
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks. I will just do what I would normally do this wek for training without the race. And go Saturday and enjoy. It is the Frosty 5K in Charlotte, NC. supposed to be 35 degrees that morning. Terry
            A good running temperature! Don't overdress!
              35 degrees is a nice temperature for race day. I hope that the weather is nice for you, too. In sunny, 35-40 degree weather, a long sleeve technical shirt with a cotton short sleeve over it and shorts works for me. Maybe a pair of thin, wicking gloves... or not. Good luck and ENJOY!!

35 is nice for a race. You'll heat up quick enough. Smile I've found that my favorite temps to run in are between 35 and 40. (MTA: Psst. Jeff -- have you decided on NJ yet?)

Michelle

Another Passion

Continued regular running this week won't hurt anything. Just go easy a day or two before. You'll be fine. Good luck, Terry. Have fun! Big grin

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Imminent Catastrophe

Gloves.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

LTD

Thank you for all the great replies. I am sure you all have helped to make this run smoother for me. (I would not have thought of gloves.) I roped the guy I usually run with into racing Saturday too. That should make the day more fun also. Thanks' Terry
                      Freerunner

Just wanted to say Good Luck! I run my first 5K on Sunday! Have lots of fun and let us know how you do! Big grin

Just Be

Good luck! Smile
                            Well, Terry?... how did it go?

LTD

I am officially hooked on running now. The race had 250 runners. The winning time was 16:11 !!!! I have been running mostly on the treadmill and a track. The course was very hilly. It was hard for me. I ran a 25:50. There was a 62 year old female that kicked my butt, she ran a 24:40. When she passed me I thought " I am now hooked on running and if she can do this, I can do better." I ran faster during the week training than I did in the race. I never really got very winded even after the run, it was my legs. They tightened up after only half mile and never untightened. The last quarter mile was a steep hill... it was tough on my legs. I have only been running for about three weeks. I think my legs are still in shock. I am running another 5K this saturday (19th). Flat course in the city (Charlotte). Thinking my time will be closer to what I have run in training. 24:??. thanks' Terry
                              LTD

ran 25:40 not :50