3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Funny,  I though Colleen would be one of the more known track athletes because of her modeling.

FB - I thought about finding your old board from the last RW exodus, does it still exist?  I know I would have been hanging out there by myself.

the weather actually turned rainy and less hot (after a ridiculous Tuesday night track where I was drenched by the end).  So last nights run was not too bad.  But also pretty drenched by the end--from rain not sweat.

i like that Max's race is near the mouth of the Green.  I was up in the source two weeks ago doing my significantly less crazy run.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

pepperjack

pie man

Oh, I get to be at the top again?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk re:team mocko....seems like you know what's going on in his life. Last time we talked I checked his you tube and saw he hadn't updated anything. I'd say it's not so much "pro runner life" that's not for him but it's more "living in places you can't afford and wear out your welcome" that's bringing him back home. If I was in his running circle I'd straight up ask him "so you moved to Marin, then Colorado, now back home. Why? Run out of couches to sleep on? Can't live off YouTube and clothing sponsors? Not enough travel money for getting to races?" I'm not so I'll never get the chance.

re: reaching out to celebrities. I've done it once or twice. Once was posting a photo from a Clint Black (do you even know who he is?) concert and he commented on it. Another was posting on Bronco Billy's photo if he comes to Tahoe I have coffee and a truck to help him out. I figured if I got HIM in town I could pull a whole support crew from this place. It's funny when you (you meaning self) get all excited over meeting people and then expect them to act a certain way and they turn out to be no different than yourself. I'd have pooped myself i I saw Jim Walmsley running in town right before WS100 (he made it private. Apparently knows a girl in town) to the point of stopping in traffic to go shake hands and get a photo.

For those not in the other online group:

http://www.moab200.com/2017-moab-live.html

Max has a race he's doing. It starts tomorrow. I don't know his bib/spot tracker number yet but I, or anyone else, will put it up. I'm a little jealous of where he'll be this weekend. It's on a list of places I'd like to explore. He might even see more "jeeps" (FJ 40 Land Cruisers) and be offered a Coors Light or two.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RLK - I have to admit, I didn't know who that was.  (Colleen Quigley, right?)

Rovatti - I agree that a year seems long.  But perhaps it takes more time when it's an indoor track.  Our track was closed for 2-3 weeks this summer to get redone.

Ace - I think I'm skipping Columbus in favor of Hartford - either one's the same distance from me.  Right now, that Columbus forecast looks all sorts of awful.  Hartford looks like the safer choice.  Not great weather but doable.

Yesterday was 6 very easy (8:52) plus drills/strides and then 1 "mile" pool-running at night.  Today was 3 miles, with the last 5 minutes at "first part of marathon pace" (ended up around 7:07).

Very hard to figure out the last few days of taper when you're not sure whether your marathon is on Saturday (Hartford) or Sunday (Columbus).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Rovatti - I agree that a year seems long.  But perhaps it takes more time when it's an indoor track.  Our track was closed for 2-3 weeks this summer to get redone. 

It 's an outdoor track.  I suspect they have to do some serious work on the drainage problems, and also the astro-turf soccer field in the middle has disintegrated.  ...but mostly it's inefficiency.

Good luck this weekend!

Strict WTF adherent

Pesto - Turtle had a tough race ... hot and humid. I think he's planning a revenge event, but don't want to speak for him beyond that.

FB - Stick around

All in favor of appointing RLK to recruit high-profile runners for future 3:20 FEs?

I demand Noah Droddy.

Doing something totally out of character and actually trying to follow something like a schedule for my running. That means this is a cutback week, even though I didn't feel like I needed it. SRD today ... going to see an oldies concert (GnR).

All in favor of appointing RLK to recruit high-profile runners for future 3:20 FEs?

I demand Noah Droddy..

You'd end up w/ Sage Canaday.

DkW ~ Good luck ... wherever!

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

RLK: That workout sounds fun! I want to do it. Those paces are really very speedy-- and I would expect to see that if you HAD rested in between. The fact that it was continuous makes it all the more impressive. Way to go! Regarding Colleen that is way cool. I just checked out her profile. Seriously hard core runner! It's awesome when people with near celeb status end up being so nice and down to earth. Not like I've had much personal experience meeting people like that.

Dad4JC: I totally hear you on the humidity. We had record-breaking heat and humidity at the Army Ten Miler, and it just keeps going and going.

Jim E: Very cool that you did an XC race. Mileage is pretty strong I think! Nice job on the Long run, too.

FB: Hey there!

Brewing: Yikes, so unfortunate about the air quality.

Commander Keen: Enjoy Colorado!

Pesto: Have fun at the 10K. I think that's a good choice. Good luck with a PR!

Pepperjack: If it's going to be super humid, might as well be raining to cool you off.

Darkwave: You STILL haven't decided??? Cheering you on whichever you decide.

As for me, I did one of my least favorite workouts today. It's boring and hard, and you don't really get a good indication of your fitness level as a reward! The workout was 20 x 1 minute at slightly faster than 5K effort, 1 minute easy. Followed by 20 x 30 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy. This is a full hour of running!

The one-minute segments are tough, but what really makes this workout a beast is the 30-second sprints. With only 30 seconds to recover, you are practically gasping for air by the end. My paces were in the 6:20's-6:30's for the 1-minute segment and 6:00's-6:10's for the 30 second segments.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

fb-guy

PJ, McBen, Dad, Jim -- nice to talk to you guys. I spent a couple of days worrying about how I would get in touch with the group again.

Rovatti -- not better, but a lot less bad. haha. I ended up with a serious gluten issue, and the more time I put that behind me, the better I feel. My speed is OK, but endurance sucks. In general I feel good. Which is nice.

Zab -- are you out there? DD2 is at UChicago and we're going to be in town in late Oct/early Nov. I've been jogging on lakeshore the last 3-4 times we've visited her.

Anybody want to come run the Florence marathon. It looks like we're missing the kids for Thanksgiving and doing Christmas, so we're here for the race. Visitors welcome!

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave: You STILL haven't decided??? Cheering you on whichever you decide.

Well...as of this morning I have a plane flight, a car reservation, and a hotel in Hartford, so that's some indication of where I'm leaning.

It's a real shame about the forecasts for this weekend.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Rovatti -- not better, but a lot less bad. haha. I ended up with a serious gluten issue, and the more time I put that behind me, the better I feel. My speed is OK, but endurance sucks. In general I feel good. Which is nice.

Well I can remember (not SO long ago) when you had both speed and endurance out the wazoo.

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

max has started another crazy adventure. let the tracking begin!

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

Running Problem

Problem Child

Max Bib number 2. Impressive

Looks like he has a good number of people around him right now. A little over 35 miles in. I'll be interested to hear what, if any, point/benefit of sticking in a huge group is for this distance. I wonder if he knows the leader Michel Leblanc.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

You'd end up w/ Sage Canaday.

DkW ~ Good luck ... wherever!

Don't forget Chris Mocko. She says she use to run with him all the time.

VDOT 53.37 

resident zombie

rlk - that’s an awesome workout! so cool you got Quigley to come out to it. good luck Sunday!

rovatti - one year is crazy! one of the high schools near me redid both their track and football field over 2 summer months

brewing - that chris mocko sounds interesting. part of me wonders if he just wanted an excuse to bounce from SV

brew 2 - moab is cool, utah has lots of great national parks, you should visit. just lower your beverage expectations

mcben - a schedule? what prompted that insanity?

darkwave - I admire your flexibility when it comes to racing. forced or not it’s quite impressive

keen - hope you have a good trip

jim & rlk - I’m watching the Cal football game right now and they keep talking about the air. Between that and seeing some social posts, I can’t believe how bad it is

if I’m reading this thing right, max is slightly ahead of his plan, 58 miles in right now