2017 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 295 times)

PhD Wil

Hello Marathoners our last hours before race day. The weather will not be perfect but manageable.

I  didn't get  the full expo experience this year because I  had to jump on a train for work Thursday morning. It still doesn't take long to rack up a decent  sized bill at the expo. I didn’t like the NB windbreaker compared  to Asics when I saw it online, but it's growing on me now. I do rate the Asics beanies over NB because their reversable.

On the train back to NY now and only thinking about the race. I would encourage those that are interested to pop in to the Turtle Room after the race.  We welcome all runners.. 

Good luck everyone

Julia1971

For the first time in a long while...  I hit a race goal!  3:28:52 today.  Smile  It was rough, though.  I hit the half super fast - 1:41:15.  I planned on going out hard and expecting a fade, but not to that degree.  It got ugly on Sixth Avenue but I held on.  Just barely...  I'm glad the rain mostly held off.  I was shivering a lot during the poncho walk.

Hope everyone had a great race!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Great year for Americans winning their home races: Rupp takes Chicago.  Flanagan takes NYC.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

Great year for Americans winning their home races: Rupp takes Chicago.  Flanagan takes NYC.

Worst part of running a major is not being able to watch the major live.  I'm looking forward to watching the recording.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Julia - so glad you hit your goal!!! I checked in on you during the final stages of the race and wasn't sure what was going to happen. Way to go! --Your neighborhood fan, Christine

For the first time in a long while...  I hit a race goal!  3:28:52 today.  Smile  It was rough, though.  I hit the half super fast - 1:41:15.  I planned on going out hard and expecting a fade, but not to that degree.  It got ugly on Sixth Avenue but I held on.  Just barely...  I'm glad the rain mostly held off.  I was shivering a lot during the poncho walk.

Hope everyone had a great race!

Julia1971

Julia - so glad you hit your goal!!! I checked in on you during the final stages of the race and wasn't sure what was going to happen. Way to go! --Your neighborhood fan, Christine

I issued an official apology on Facebook. Smile  Sorry to do that to you.  It wasn't fun for me, either.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Hit my goal once again at NYCM!

3:35 pace leader and brought my group in at 3:34:33!

Nice work out on the course everyone!  Weather wasn't too bad, and I though that light misty rain was kind of nice, but I'd still prefer a nice sunny and cool day any time.  Maybe in 2018 :-)

Hope to see everyone out there again next year!

I just reg'd for the Roxbury Marathon in CT in Dec to keep my fitness going!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations Julia, Mendeldave, and Shalane!  \_ _/

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Congrats Julia and Dave!  This was the first year I watched (vs ran) since 2013.  Cheered everyone on all the way through the sweeper bus passing by.

Caught Shalane (far left)...

And Meb (far right)...

Congrats to everyone else who finished this year!!!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Julia1971

If anyone's interested, I just posted my race report.

MendelDave, I thought the weather was just about perfect during the race.  But, I was shivering on the poncho walk...  Congrats on bringing your crew in on time.  Smile

Bert-o, Cool pictures!  Awesome of you to cheer from beginning to end.

Congratulations to everyone who ran and thanks to everyone who supported!

ultramarathon/triathlete

That was an awesome RR!   I love the format you use.  So much detail too --you really planned the race out well, it's no wonder you crushed it.

Great job and good luck next year.  At this point I'm thinking I'll pace 3:30 next year instead of 3:35, so maybe I'll see you on the course!

But I'm thinking you should push for 3:25 next year.

We both know you could do it!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

That was an awesome RR!   I love the format you use.  So much detail too --you really planned the race out well, it's no wonder you crushed it.

Great job and good luck next year.  At this point I'm thinking I'll pace 3:30 next year instead of 3:35, so maybe I'll see you on the course!

But I'm thinking you should push for 3:25 next year.

We both know you could do it!

Thanks so much!

I haven't started thinking about next year, really.  There's a good chance NYCM won't be my goal race, though.  I have this sick desire to do a multi-day running event and I'm thinking I might fit enough for one by next fall.

Good luck at the Roxbury!