2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - read through the race report. It's interesting you've now had more than one stumble at the finish line. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I'd say about 80% a bad thing.  I used (like 7-8 years ago) to have a big problem with tying up in all sorts of races.  Just a matter of being way too type A/tense/whatever you want to call it - when things started getting hard in races, I'd tense up and surge, and eventually lock up and stiffen.

[running faster as your default response when things start hurting sounds like a feature, but I assure you it's a bug]

It took a lot of work, including sports psychology, to learn how to be more relaxed in races - a lot of that was learning to race watchless and to target slightly less than 100% effort. Even today, when I kick at the end of races, I have to be very patient and restrained in when I do it and also to tell myself that the finish line isn't going anywhere, if that makes sense.

So in one sense this was a bit of a relapse, and part of why I'm angry with myself.  On the other hand, there's a good reason for it - I didn't surge out of being too anxious this time; I surged because I was 5 seconds behind with 700m to go in a mile race and wanted to try to win it.

But... I need to be sure to be more patient in my next race.

This all means that my 16:59 goal will be tough given I just ran a 17:15 in pretty much the exact same conditions just 10 days ago. I'm not sure if the taper is going to get me those 16 seconds, that might be too much to ask, but I'm definitely going to run this thing at 16:59 pace and blow up if I have to. Last race I eased into given the conditions, but given I've now secured the PR, it's okay to blow up going for broke 

Even after everything I've written above, I like this plan.  Either you pull it off, or you learn your limits - it's a win either way.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kramrunner

Indy 2019 w05/16
      M      01 14 44      9.31 
      T      01 27 17      11.5 tm w/ 3wu + 6x1@5:49 + 2cd, 0.5%, rec: ~90s walk
      W     01 03 06       7.46  
      Th    01 14 15       9.22 
      F      01 15 31       9.32 
      S     02 15 11        17.6 
      S     01 15 44        9.28  
                                   ====

Solid week overall. PF appreciated the lack of anything speedy over the past 5 days. 2 w/o days on tap this week. I'm hoping to keep mileage around 70mpw from here on in.

Indy 2019 w06/16
      M        01 16 49       9.34 
      T         01 26 43       11.5 tm w/ 3wu + 4x1.5@5:52 + 2cd, 0.5%, rec: <120s walk, longer prior to last as daydreaming
      W        01 07 03        8.0 
      Th       00 34 19        4.2 
      F         01 04 06        8.13
      S        01 51 34        15.0 tm w/ 3wu + 3/2.5/2/1 prog + 2cd, 0/0.5% -  prog @7:00/6:30/6:10/5:49, 0.5mi@8:30 recoveries
      S        01 28 12        11.35 
                                       ====

Solid week. Under 70miles as I hit off instead of snooze on Thur morning and had no interest in doing my required miles after a full days work. I had a solid progression run on Sat. The plan had been for 3/3/3/1, but I could tell in the 6:30 rep that it was taking a little too much, so I cut a little here and from the next rep to stay away from the red-line. I've started subbing in a day with some longer slow hills instead of hill sprints as they were annoying the PF too much. Hopefully, I'll get some of the benefit even though there's little of that visceral joy from hitting a short hill hard. A single LT day and a LSR planned for next week. Going camping towards the weekend so that may well not happen as planned.

DW: Great job with that race. I love that you were willing to bury yourself and get after it.

Nimmals: Putting up some great mileage lately auld fella. Prob due a down week soon, no? Btw, could you add a little more detail regarding CBD, i.e., if it only offers analgesic effects, I'm not so interested as I "value" the signals my foot sends me.

JMAC: Looking fwd. to seeing your 5k time. Hopefully you'll have a few runners to follow, which will make the first couple of miles zoom by. Screw the weather, go for it and see what happens, you're in great shape.

Madison: Another great set of weeks. You're lucky to be able to shower(?) etc., at work. Gyms near mine are way to expensive and when I suggested adding on site shower facilities when we were having our entire office space re-located and refurbished, I was borderline laughed at, sigh!

JT: Fantastic long run. Those 2 easier weeks will really allow you to have a great run in to the race. Fingers crossed all this humidity is gone by then.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

ZZCaptainObvious

Last week (8/4->8/10) wasn't great for me.

Off, 3 easy, 4 easy, Off, 6.1 easy, 8 super easy, 8 super easy - first week under 30 since April...

JMac - Crush the 5K this weekend! Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

weatherboy80

Just quickly checking in as I have been busy the last week with a staycation over at Disney and then getting slammed here at work atferwards.  Cut back my mileage a bit last week into the mid 70's and then really so this week (targeting low 50's) with my 10 mile trail race coming up on Saturday.  Not expecting anything crazy fast especially with the humidity (dew points have spiked into the low 80's recently here), hills, and start-time (8:30 PM), but hoping for good placement.

JMac: Looking forward to seeing your 5K.  You crushed your last few workouts!

Jay: good luck this weekend too!

DW: Awesome job on your race!

JT:  Great week getting back on the horse after your vacation.  Nice looking LR too!

Nimmals & Madison: You both continue to have outstanding weeks!

ZZ: Okay to have a down week in there.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

madisonrunner

jayluf - Yes, I'm following Pfitz.  This is my 3rd straight cycle following Pfitz (each with increased mileage).  I PR'd off of the last 2 cycles.

Re: running to work - My work does have showers and a very nice cafeteria.  I can remote in from home so there is really nothing I need to bring each day except for cell phone (required for 2FA) and clothes.  I stop in on the weekends occasionally to exchange clothes which works really well.  If you can do it I highly recommend it.

ZZCaptainObvious

Madison - That is a nice benefit. If only I lived closer than 9 and a half miles...

Weather update for Madison Mini - it's going to be maximum humidity (95 ish percent), but it's also going to be relatively chilly as well!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck to the racers this weekend, humidity looking like  but such is life in the summer. Low 80s for Weather takes the cake though, I can’t imagine racing anything more than 800 meters in that.

Kram - have you begun thinking about goals for Indy yet? I know it’s at least sub 2:45, but knowing you, I feel like you want 2:39

Weather - I have to say, I have no idea how you live in Florida with not only the humidity, but the thunderstorms. I am so terrified of them now after being out on a golf course during them, not sure how you deal with it daily. My heart jumps at thunder even when I’m indoors now.

Missing Runners - too many of you out there right now who have haven’t posted in a while. Come on back! This includes Mikkey (he’s lurking in sub 1:30), Lela, Finbad, Swim, Steve (newborn is a good excuse).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey everyone. I got my sub 17 today with a 16:51! Full race report will be over in sub 1:30, but I’m ecstatic. Conditions were very humid (73 degree dew point), but luckily it was overcast which really saved me. This was also the first race I’ve ever won outright, which was pretty cool (I know some of you win all the time, but let me have this small moment!)

Besides all that, I got to meet nimmals in person today! Noticed him right when I was lining up at the start. He actually was super gracious and gave me some great advice about the course regarding tangents that I definitely would NOT have picked up on without him. He also gave me some good words of encouragement towards the end that helped me with my final drive.

We also caught up at the end of the race. I overheard the race announcer saying “and there’s the course record holder talking to today’s winner!” How cool is that?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

slingrunner

wtg Jmac.  Tough conditions, first place finish, a hero cheering you on, great accomplishment!

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We also caught up at the end of the race. I overheard the race announcer saying “and there’s the course record holder talking to today’s winner!” How cool is that?

That is very very cool!  To both of you: way to represent!

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ZZCaptainObvious

I got my sub 17 today with a 16:51!

Congrats JMac!!

Ended up with a 1:29:10 chip time, including a 75 second bio break at the first water stop due to a tactical planning error. (aka not going at the start line). Even with that, I didn't have the 6:30 pace in my legs with the hills and humidity. So that's the downside. Upside - this was almost perfect marathon pace training and even with feeling pretty rough, the last four miles were holding marathon pace well. Overall a mixed bag, but ultimately more positive than negative.

JMac: Congrats on the sub 17 and the win! That is awesome you met Nimmals and that he could give you some racing tips. You've still got a lot more time to come off of that PR given those lousy conditions.

Captain: Nice job on the half. Not sure where you are but the heat/humidity certainly was bad this weekend in the northeast; racing a half in that would be very tough.

Weather: Congrats on your win this weekend as well!

Nimmals: Looks like you absolutely crushed it at Falmouth; looking forward to hearing about the race!

My week was not that exciting; all easy running in heat & humidity. I knew after the LR last Sunday that this week would probably be all recovery. I'm starting to sense I may need to skip Erie due to heat/humidity and run Hartford instead 5 weeks later. I know it's way to far out at 3 weeks for accu-weather to mean anything but right now it looks horrible for Sept. 8 in Erie. Hopefully it will change for the better....

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Aug 12, 2019 thru Sunday, Aug 18, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                          Tue 10.1 8:45 Morning Run 503 strava
                          Wed 12.2 8:24 Morning Run 602 strava
                          Thu 6.2 8:27 Morning Run 351 strava
                          Fri 14.2 8:11 Morning Run 680 strava
                          Sat 6.6 7:56 Morning Run 38 strava
                          Sun 18.2 8:01 Long run 823 strava
                            67.5 8:16   2997  

2:52:16 (2018)

madisonrunner

I got my sub 17 today with a 16:51!

Congrats JMac!  It's nice to get sub 17 out of the way before starting up marathon training.

My week:

M - 10

T - 15 (w/ 10 strides) / 5.8

W - 5.8 / 5.8

R - 5.7 / 5.8

F - 12 (w/ 4 mile LT @ 5:28/mile) / 7.3

S - 10.1 (w/ 8 strides)

S - 18.1 (First 13 @ ~6:45, last 5 @ ~6:08)

101 total

This week's plan calls for a VO2 max workout (6x1200m).  I'm signed up for a half on Saturday that I'll either race all out or run at MP.  I'll decide later in the week based on how I'm feeling and the weather forecast.

JT - If you're able to do Hartford I'd wait and make that your goal marathon.  You could even do (part of) Erie as a workout/long run. If two days before Erie the weather looks perfect then reconsider, but odds are Hartford's weather will be much better.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Captain Obvious - solid performance for a half-marathon in August.

JTReeves - still too far to know.  As you know, as we get into September/October, the weather can vary dramatically week by week.  Personally, I'd continue to target Erie and keep Hartford as the fallback.  I'd hate to have Erie end up being a perfect day and you miss out on it.

Madison - good luck on the half, if you race it.

[and...waiting to hear back on some fantastic race reports from forumites]

My week: 64 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                              M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running
                              T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 5x800 in 6:03, 2:59, 2:58, 2:56, 2:56, 2:49. 4:56 recovery after 1600, 2:3x-2:4x recovery after the first three 800s, and over 3 minutes recovery after the fourth 800 (crowded track). Since I had the extra long recovery, I used the last 800 to work on turnover (split 86/83). Also leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.
                              W: 8 miles very easy (9:02), drills, strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:53)
                              Th: Upperbody weights, core, and 95 minutes pool-running.
                              F: 12 miles, including 2x3200 in 12:46 (6:28/6:18) and 12:40 (6:21/6:19) with 5:35 recovery between the two. Also leg strengthwork and 1200 yards recovery swimming.
                              Sa: 12 miles very easy (9:08); upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.
                              Su: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 9:02, next 5 averaging 7:54; last 6 averaging 7:12. Followed with leg strengthwork and 550 yards recovery swimming.

Like JTReeves said, it's been pretty hot and humid on the east coast.  As you can see, my workouts got adapted by breaking into parts (Friday) or running slower (Sunday)

jayluf

JMac - congrats on the sub 17 and W!

Captain - nice half, impressive to get that in during August

JT - why not do both eerie and Hartford? you've got a lot of fitness right now.

Madison - solid week. good luck at the half.

DW - impressive week of 3 workouts with the conditions we had this week

My week: Planned down mileage week leading up to my 25k trail race Saturday. Overall really happy with the experience. Race took place at Patapsco park just outside Baltimore. Conditions were rough at the 9am start - 78t/73dp. Trails were mostly single track, tons of switchbacks, and many places incl most downhills that weren't runnable due to roots/rocks/terrain. Highlight was climbing (scaling?) a 10 foot wall 8k into the race. I've had a few nightmares about something like that while on PR pace during a road marathon  Only fell once and emerged pretty healthy, though a bit stiff/sore. Excited to turn focus back to the roads with less than 6 weeks to go until Berlin. Also, adding the Road2Hope half marathon in Ontario Canada on November 3rd as my tune up race for CIM.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Aug 12, 2019 thru Sunday, Aug 18, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Tue 9.7 7:29 Race week! Mini workout - 15min hard strava
                                Wed 5.1 8:47 Recovery effort strava
                                Fri 5.0 8:18 Shake n’ Bake strava
                                Sat 0.8 8:51 Morning Run strava
                                Sat 15.9 11:27 MD HEAT 25K strava
                                  36.5 9:32