IPOD vs. whatever (Read 903 times)

No more marathons

Looks like my 5 year old IPOD is about due for replacement - Have no committment to the Apple community - so wondering what others have found satisfactory for listening to books and music while running. 

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Sansa Clip+.  Cheap.  4-8GB built in.  Add in a 16-32GB microSD card for $15-30.  Sounds great, super simple to use.  Mine has survived rain storms, washings, and more.

Super nerd best parts:  drap-and-drop access (so if you use Linux, it's perfect), esoteric file formats supported (Ogg, FLAC).  Obviously does mp3, m4a, Audible, and all that, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

If I use anything I just take my 'phone. It's not properly waterproof, but if it's wet I use an Ortlieb 'phone case. 

I hardly even listen to music when I run, but I do sometimes listen to podcasts on easy runs.

xor

I have had exactly two players in almost 10 years.  I had to replace the first, an ancient iriver player, because the battery door broke.  The second, a sansa, has been used a few times a week since probably 2005 (?... maybe 2006, anyway).  Still going strong.

What rgilbert said.  I bought a sansa 8GB at Costco over a year ago for $40.  It works great, and yes, survived a bunch of rain this year in Sacramento.

Julia1971

I had an iRiver in the dark ages, too.  But, I switched to an iPod because organizing music in iTunes was so much easier and there was more music available through the iTunes store.  Are their comparable music organizers now?  Is there as much selection through other services?

I don't mean to thread-jack but it might be worth knowing before you make the switch.  (And, since new new iPod Nano is clipless, I've been wondering about making the switch if my current Nano breaks.  The shuffle is okay but I like the touch screen on the Nano).

Edited to ask questions.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Julia--I have the new iPod Nano and I ordered a very lightweight clip case on Amazon for $7.99.  Problem solved!  I had the last generation iPod too, but it was so tiny overall that I just found it to be unwieldy.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

xor

I was never much of an itunes user to give a wonderfully thoughtful comparison, but I've been using windows media player (on my non-apple machine, obviously) since the dawn of man and it does what I need it to do.  Don't judge me; the chip in my head has forced me to stick with judged-by-others-to-be-inferior borg product.  Now... here's the thing.  I'm speaking to organization.  And ripping, burning, syncing, and whatnot.  In terms of media PURCHASING, itunes absolutely spanks wmp.  There is no comparison.  These days I buy not-protected mp3s from amazon.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Sansa Clip+.  Cheap.  4-8GB built in.  Add in a 16-32GB microSD card for $15-30.  Sounds great, super simple to use.  Mine has survived rain storms, washings, and more.

Super nerd best parts:  drap-and-drop access (so if you use Linux, it's perfect), esoteric file formats supported (Ogg, FLAC).  Obviously does mp3, m4a, Audible, and all that, too.

Some of my podcasts won't play on my Sansa Clip Zip...would you happen to know why?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I typically use MediaMonkey on Windows, which is probably what most people would want to know about (Rhythm Box is great for Linux, though)

That said, I also like to compulsively hand-organize all my MP3s with EasyTag...so organization hasn't ever been an issue for me.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

Some of my podcasts won't play on my Sansa Clip Zip...would you happen to know why?

If you link me to one of them, I can see if they'll play on my Clip and offer suggestions Smile.

Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

Don't judge me; the chip in my head has forced me to stick with judged-by-others-to-be-inferior borg product. 

I know the feeling.  My personal phone is still a Blackberry.  

My old Nano fatty is still going strong. When it goes, I may replace it with the player I saw posted on a thread a few months ago....I'll have to go back and look. There were no cords, if I remember correctly. Sony, maybe?

I need a snack.

I really love my iPod Shuffle.  It is tiny and just clips on my shirt.  I like to listen to podcasts so I will make a music playlist and then a few playlists for my favorite podcasts and I am ready to roll.

Jeffrey

iPod shuffle.