'blockers' - people who interrupt who when you are running (Read 1306 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pick up trucks aren't so bad for me, I get really nervous about any type of cargo van.
    I'm with you on the cargo van. I think I've read too many spy novels.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, cargo vans freak me out, too. You know, one of my running routes is near a business park with semi trucks going in and out. They don't bother me at all. They are almost always careful and slow. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I once spent an entire summer being called "Shat Boy" for reasons best not discussed on a public forum.
        Too funny. Would it be wrong to use this as a sig?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Too funny. Would it be wrong to use this as a sig?
          Nope. In fact, it just might be my next sig, but feel free to claim it as your own.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Nope. In fact, it just might be my next sig, but feel free to claim it as your own.
            Hehe. I totally planned on giving you full credit.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You'll ruin your knees!

I am pretty sure I never new anyone who threw a microwave at a car while on a run! Now, I can't say that any more! As for flockers...I "squeeze" through, taking particular care to slime at least one of them by dragging a sweaty arm across their arm or something like that... I find that generally gets me more room next time round... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

One of best things about moving to New Zealand has been not having to put this kind of crap anymore. The UK was awful for it – mostly just gangs of teenagers giving me hassle but I’ve been sworn at, spat at and had cans thrown at me over the 4 years I’ve been running. You still get the odd thoughtless person but actual hassle is much rarer here. Smile
                  I don't have this problem running at 4 or 5 am. On my bike, I have been known to tailgate old ladies hogging the path at the park.
                    I found it just as bad in NZ. In the UK, at least you get a lot of pavement. Having said that, I'm an extremely uptight runner and if someone beeps their horn at me I'm liable to give them the bird. Has been a problem once or twice when it was my mother.
                    The Plodder

Wow, from the replies (and confessions) on this thread looks like I might have overreacted a bit at being interrupted, at least neither of them were trying to injure me or give me any abuse. Oh well musn't let the fluckers (nice term I like that and shall be adopting it) get us down.
                      Shiksa

I have a neighbor who does this. He's interrupted me the last 3 times I saw him. The last time, I politely waved and was running by thinking: He's letting me go. He's really doing it. I can't believe he didn't say anything to me [100 feet under my shoes] Uh....Stacy? crap... I turn around, muster up a smile, jog back, and jog in place to clarify my intent to stay moving. Uh...do you like gospel music? Not any more!!! It's always something with him.

Stacy
                        I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Diesel Power

Never experienced anything like these stories. The closest I have is people yelling things, and the occassional guy who runs up beside me to impress his loitering friends, only to realize that the two pack-a-day habit does not make for good running lungs. As far as the people yelling things... I'm sure I'm not the only person to hear "Run Forrest, run!" numerous times over the past 12 years or so. I think the thing that bothers me the most about it is the lack of imagination. This past Halloween, I was running on Goucher College's campus. Some passerby yelled the dreaded phrase at me, and I stopped to ask if he could come up with something more clever than a rehashed line from the mid 90s. He had nothing.
                            Wow, those are some fine experiences! I try to run in the AMS to avoid any interaction with the natives and aliens alike. I live in a small town with lots of retired people who are lonely and roam the streets, looking for a lengthy chat. Not only do they eat up my time, they tend to be repetative in nature. I try to be patient and hope that when I'm dotty and chatty the youngens will be polite to me. I also tend to run into problems when I run past my church, as it usually leads to a conversation with another member or one of the pastors. (Church is located on the one road that can be used for long runs, and I do my long runs on Sunday AMs...usually going out just before the early service is starting and returning when the second is in session) I've been tempted to run through the sanctuary a time or two on my return leg to say that I'd been to a recent service and grab my communion. I'm sure most of the old timers would object but I think the pastors would get a kick out of it. I've also gotten a lot of people coming through the town trying to get back to the freeway, nearest gas station, golf course, etc. Those bug me the most as the town is small enough that if they would just drive randomly for another minutes, they would find what they were looking for.
                            Scout7

I got to help some guy recover his dog tonight. Dog got away from him, he had dropped the leash, and came towards me. It's a little tiny yippie dog, so I just stop in the street, and bend over and keep saying "Hi puppy!! Hi dog!!", until the man came to grab the leash.
                              jcasetnl

Some of the trails I run on are very popular and in the last five years the mountain bikers have gotten really bad. They insist that runners and walkers should know to "stay to the right" and other mountain biking rules. One guy really gave me a hard time about how "you runners need to learn to share the trail". Whatever. Not all are bad, of course, just a few of the 'posers'. It cracks me up that they need $3k worth of bike to conquer a barely rutted, flat trail. In any park there are usually 10x more trails available to runners and hikers so I've just made a point to use those instead.