2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

CalBears

Setting up excuses in case you lose?

First, that word is in not my vocabulary... Second - Russian losing to a British? Are you serious? When did that happen last time? Russian doping system was always way way ahead... 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

DarkWave good luck this weekend.

Mikkey vs Cals   I may come to Boston just to see the showdown.

My Revel buddy is going on and on and On wont shut up.  now im like thinking it was the perfect storm. I give you this holding that pace on a down hill is impressive I run hilly on Sundays and I cant imagine holding 5:20 for 26 miles. His quads are huge, mine not so much. He is at least 15 lbs (~170) heavier than me works in a gym so I'm guessing his muscles are stronger, denser? He might just been the perfect fitness and weight to pull it off.  I was only expecting him to run a 2:35 - 2:38. Im stunned at the 2:28. there was that Kenyan who did that race and i was expecting a downhill sub 2 and he didnt even come close I'm guessing there is a perfect weight to strength ratio at play and he just happen to fit it. I don't think he can run 2:35 at CIM or on a flat. I'm impressed but I'm not impressed. I wouldnt do it but I'm intrigued as to how he did it so well.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

Wait, I hope you aren’t expecting me to waddle to the Boston start line at 168 Ibs and eating a McDonalds triple burger???  No, YOU need to get down to 146 Ibs...and we ARE the same age!

I think last time I was 146 lbs was in my teens - when I probably didn't eat enough in a university. As soon as I started to earn my own money I blasted through that mark and the lightest I was probably of 155 lbs. Mikkey, I think its in your interest to gain some weight and meet me somewhere in a middle - if I get to 146 lbs mark, I don't see a point of competing with you as it will be totally unfair advantage for me  And btw, I am pretty sure you are like 6-8 months younger than me, but I will give you a pass on that 

flyrunnr

First, that word is in not my vocabulary... Second - Russian losing to a British? Are you serious? When did that happen last time? Russian doping system was always way way ahead... 

Yak-3 vs. Spitfire. That is funny as hell. Cal, are implying that you are lighter and more maneuverable than Mikkey? Forget the minor age difference (6-8 months), I believe the one who has less total time on the engine will produce more horsepower. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

CalBears

Yak-3 vs. Spitfire. That is funny as hell. Cal, are implying that you are lighter and more maneuverable than Mikkey? Forget the minor age difference (6-8 months), I believe the one who has less total time on the engine will produce more horsepower. 

I am currently 20 pounds heavier then Mikkey. All I am saying is that if I get to 146 lbs weight (which will probably now be harder than running sub 2:50) there would not be a competition and Mikkey would have to stay at his home to save money 

Swim5599

DarkWave good luck this weekend.

Mikkey vs Cals   I may come to Boston just to see the showdown.

My Revel buddy is going on and on and On wont shut up.  now im like thinking it was the perfect storm. I give you this holding that pace on a down hill is impressive I run hilly on Sundays and I cant imagine holding 5:20 for 26 miles. His quads are huge, mine not so much. He is at least 15 lbs (~170) heavier than me works in a gym so I'm guessing his muscles are stronger, denser? He might just been the perfect fitness and weight to pull it off.  I was only expecting him to run a 2:35 - 2:38. Im stunned at the 2:28. there was that Kenyan who did that race and i was expecting a downhill sub 2 and he didnt even come close I'm guessing there is a perfect weight to strength ratio at play and he just happen to fit it. I don't think he can run 2:35 at CIM or on a flat. I'm impressed but I'm not impressed. I wouldnt do it but I'm intrigued as to how he did it so well.

He thinks he’s gonna run 2:35 at CIM?  Wow.  That’s a bit much.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You’ve been living in America for too long for me to ever feel intimidated by you...you are now a watered down Russian. 😂

My race weight usually ends up at around 146 after a training cycle. You are the one saying that I’ll have an advantage because I’m lighter and I’m saying that it’s up to you to lose weight. You have one obvious advantage over me because you’ve run and know the course well. But I would never use that as an excuse!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - you are a man full of excuses. Claiming you could actually run your age graded time, not understanding that's not how it works, and now already setting up some sort of weight excuse and saying what you could run if you were lighter. I bet you would run a sub 2 if you were 32 years old and weighed 120 lbs. Mikkey - you've got my support 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Cal - you are a man full of excuses. Claiming you could actually run your age graded time, not understanding that's not how it works, and now already setting up some sort of weight excuse and saying what you could run if you were lighter. I bet you would run a sub 2 if you were 32 years old and weighed 120 lbs. Mikkey - you've got my support 

Huh??? Reference to that claim? Btw, I do not think you realize how it works either - I would say, I might actually run even faster than my current age graded time when I was that age (like 32 yo) - you cannot disprove it either. Though, on a second thought - I am sorry you do not understand what trolling is... 

On a third thought - Mikkey doesn't have a chance, you can provide him any support you want, but the fact is - he "started to run faster" than me only after I basically stopped training. So, yeah, go ahead, your support will be a huge help to him  

And try to realize what will happen when I actually lose even 10-15 pounds (and the thing is - that's the plan)... So, I would think twice before putting your hard earned money on him 

Though, on a fourth thought, maybe I didn't comprehend trolling completely either...

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone have advice on a taper? I've always followed a plan strictly and this time it's different since I'll miss the last speed workout (6 x 1 mile) and Thursday is thanksgiving so I'm doing a 10K as a race. I'll PR just by running goal marathon pace. I'd like to use it as a tune up or final workout before CIM since Hanson's sticks with a 10 day taper, but I'd also like a solid taper going in to CIM. I've never made my own taper. I've also never raced a 10K before a marathon. The only reason I'm doing it is the Hanson's taper would have me doing 10 miles at marathon pace on the same day.

There are 4 Sundays until CIM. I plan on doing 20 Saturday and maybe 14-16 as a final long run the following Saturday. I've been doing 70 miles a week since October. Advice is appreciated including how to taper into the 10K.

11/11 - 11/17 70 miles with a 20 miler tomorrow.

11/18 - 11/24 60 with a 15 miler or shorter. 4x1.5 mile workout and a 10 mile M paced workout.

11/25 - 12/1 50 with a 8-10 miler and a 10K race.

12/1 - 12/8 25-30 plus race day? I could do a 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 count down and have two days no running before race day.

oh and I'm sitting at 160 lbs and might enter race day around 158. Fat kid likes his snacks. I've also cut out caffeine and I'm wondering what kind of benefit this would give me for taking caffeinated gels (haven't chosen to) on race day having not practiced with caffeinated gels. Maurten now makes them. It's just more stuff to carry and figure out on race day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Anyone have advice on a taper?

My obvious advice is to follow a plan and stay healthy. Just a word of caution - I ran 10K as a race last year 7 days before CIM and paid full price for that during marathon - it was a huge mistake - my hamstrings locked up first time in 8 years of running races before mile 23 and I have to slow down to 7:40 pace. 10 days probably should be fine to recover but keep this in mind - if your priority is marathon, I would not go at 100% of what you are capable of right now - I would keep it at a lower effort than that.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

My obvious advice is to follow a plan and stay healthy. Just a word of caution - I ran 10K as a race last year 7 days before CIM and paid full price for that during marathon - it was a huge mistake - my hamstrings locked up first time in 8 years of running races before mile 23 and I have to slow down to 7:40 pace. 10 days probably should be fine to recover but keep this in mind - if your priority is marathon, I would not go at 100% of what you are capable of right now - I would keep it at a lower effort than that.

Last year CIM was on the 2nd its much farther away from thanksgiving this year being on the 8th. He should recover.

CalBears

Last year CIM was on the 2nd its much farther away from thanksgiving this year being on the 8th. He should recover.

Last year Thanksgiving was on Nov 22nd, this year its Nov 28th - the same amount of days between holiday and race.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Anyone have advice on a taper?

Avoid crosswalks.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Haha didn’t even realize it was that much later.

darkwave turn your GPS on I’m trying to track using RaceJoy