A word to the people who tell us "running is bad for you" (Read 279 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You know, i have never had anyone tell me that running was bad for me.

If someone tells you that, my bet is that they think you a) will actually listen, and b) will actually care.

The reason i say this is because in all modesty, i am in extremely good shape, and that is probably fairly unusual for people of my age (late fifties). So, i dare say, anyone that would have the audacity to start offering me advice on physical fitness matters, had better have some amazing credentials or they are going to get a big laugh in their face.

And speaking of credentials, in the last week or two i have had to see a doctor and a physical therapist becuase i have a niggling itbd issue.

And no, i do not run in "moderation".

But neither the doctor nor the PT suggested i cut back. The PT just gave me some very effective strengthening and stretching exercises, and it is working so far.

And for that matter, i have beein seeing a pulmonogist and asthma docs for several years due to exercise induced asthma. Not once did they suggest that the running was bad for me, and in fact, they have gone to great lengths to encourage me to continue and make me able to do so. And i can tell you that having worked through their recommendations and other things i've tried, my asthma is virtually non-existent now.

So, if they are not telling me that i might be doing something wrong (and i believe most people know better to go there), what are they saying. If anything, there saying things like, 'gee, i wish i could do that' or ' I need to lose some weight but don't know where to start.' And my response is always the same: I start telling them about little things i do every day to keep me active and healthy, including walking my dog, eating right, exercising during lunch, etc., depending on the situation they seem headed towards. And i make sure not to be overbearing or preachy, just matter of fact, receptive, and positive.

Lastly, you want to know what i think is bad for you? I think listening to other peoples prescription for how you should lead your life is bad for you.

So listen, right now we need every swinging dick to grow a pair and do what it is that makes them know they are alive, (And if you happen to be in a different category, you are absolutely not exempt from this advice).

Another ‘like’ from me for a Seattle Prattle post...especially the highlighted bits. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

BeeRunB

In my previous running club I knew dozens of men and women 65-80+ years old. Some have died since, and all will eventually, but damn they all had slender bodies, moved well, and looked healthy. Seemed young. The elderly people I knew that didn't move much were the opposite. Hip, knee and ankle problems, and moving like the stereotypical old person. I believe my micro experience points to the truth of whether or nor running is good for you. Too much running relative to what your body can handle isn't though. Avoid overtraining, whether young or old.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Another ‘like’ from me for a Seattle Prattle post...especially the highlighted bits. 

I think one of the reasons that people criticize; who don't necessarily understand how sport and fitness can enhance your physical and mental well being is:

They are actually slightly jealous or it seems so completely unobtainable for them that they can't comprehend any journey towards fitness.

And that's where fitness professionals need to understand how to tap into that group of society and motivate them to try.

Eisenmench

<3's heckin long zoomies

I think one of the reasons that people criticize; who don't necessarily understand how sport and fitness can enhance your physical and mental well being is:

They are actually slightly jealous or it seems so completely unobtainable for them that they can't comprehend any journey towards fitness.

And that's where fitness professionals need to understand how to tap into that group of society and motivate them to try.

I've also experienced individuals who participate in some sport (i.e., run 5ks and or participate in Zumba classes) who think that longer distances or certain solo sports (such as weight lifting) require giving up all other non-work activities. I actually had a friend (who does 5Ks) say that anyone who could complete a marathon in less than 4 hours "has no life."

The whole "anyone who is better than me must have no life" attitude seems to be a common perception for any hobby with a community (at least in the nerdy and creative communities).

Started running - 2014

1st marathon - 2017

Still trying to figure out a good training plan that works for me.