Vancouver Sun Run (Read 481 times)

The "Sun Run"; is the second largest race in North America. This year there were over 54,000 entrants! I have done the Sun Run since 2003 and it was sort of my kick start into running. That year as a new years resolution I figured I should see if I could run 10KM. Well the first race was a real struggle; managed to drag my self accross in 1:07; but the good news is that I felt motivated to actually learn how to run. The next several years saw the normal improvement you get when you actually train Smile Last year I actually put in a marked effort starting in January to try and get a decent time; no luck: Finished in 53 minutes; the good news is that I kept up my training after the race and started looking at longer distances. This year all that extra training has paid off. Didn't reach my goal time of 45min but I am pretty happy with the 46:33 I finished in. Its 1:30 better than my previous best 10KM (a trail race 3 weeks ago) and I see the light now : more training = better times. Here are my links: Sun Run History: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/a0682d6136bf441abcdfd78de7313fc9/workouts?Eric=57c35cd98a4f4a74a9b8eb6b1e5d8434&Eety=10&Erty6=on cheers b

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K

Congrats on the time. 54000? For one race or do they have different races. Still that's a ton of people. Do you know of any good runs up in thearea in July/August or a good calender for runs up there? modal

Vim

Its one race; they start in waves (there are 5 waves each about 10 minutes appart). I mostly run trails; here is the calendar: http://www.trainharder.com/calendar.htm Iron Lung is in August and its a very challenging course... b

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K

I read about it in the Vancouver Sun online this morning. We're moving up to the area in June so hopefully I'll be among the masses next year!!!
          1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."

Prophet!

Nice ONe! Great time improvement from last year. Simply more mileage or speedwork ? Did you follow a different program than the previous years ? aloha, steve
              Nice ONe! Great time improvement from last year. Simply more mileage or speedwork ? Did you follow a different program than the previous years ? aloha, steve
              Different programs, as I mentioned I started training for longer distances; which in my simple mind meant longer training runs. The part that I didn't clue into immediately was that the longer training runs would help my 10K. I also started running more often (usually 4 times per week vs 2 times last year). b