tights and leggings for male runner (Read 705 times)

MTL2000

is there any different between tights and leggings for male runner?

i am new to the running world, and try to find a suitable one for the cold winter months.

5k:                  19:45" (5/7/2016)
    HM:                1:28:03" (6/19/2016)
    Marathon:     2:59:15 (11/5/2016)

Latent Runner

is there any different between tights and leggings for male runner?

i am new to the running world, and try to find a suitable one foe the cold winter months.

I can tell you there are a few differences between male and female tights; when my wife and I fold our newly washed running cloths, there is never any question as to which ones are hers, even if the tights in question are by the same manufacturer.

Personally I'm not a fan if tight tights, my knee caps complain when there is too much tension across the front of the knee; pants like the Men's Nike Stretch Woven Pant and the Men's R-Gear Second WInd Pant (R-Gear is sold in Road Runner Sports stores or through their web site RoadRunnerSports.com) seem to work the best for me.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

ultramarathon/triathlete

I don't know the difference either.  Are leggings like long socks?  Like compression socks that are knee high? Or are they just tights?

Go to any running store, they'll have loads of running tights now (assuming you don't like in Florida or somewhere hot).

I sometimes wear tights if it's really cold.  I prefer shorts with a long sleeve running top.  Sometimes I'll wear shorts with long compression socks, but not usually.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

Mysecondnewname

OP:  My advice is to get a pair of these to wear under those tights for really cold windy days:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Equilibrium-Windbrief-Boxer/210034001.025,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=mens-apparel-baselayer

some call me Tim

^that's a pro tip right there. But IMO, it's easy to tell. No matter what you see other people doing, tights (or leggings if you like) are for girls, or something a guy might wear under running pants when it's 20 below. Running pants are light, swishy and great for lounging.

...not looking forward to another season of aging Peter Pans

Latent Runner

^that's a pro tip right there. But IMO, it's easy to tell. No matter what you see other people doing, tights (or leggings if you like) are for girls, or something a guy might wear under running pants when it's 20 below. Running pants are light, swishy and great for lounging.

...not looking forward to another season of aging Peter Pans

Hmmm, guess I'm an "epic fail", I'm a guy and I've worn tights off and on for nearly 40 years.  Joking

Fat old man PRs:

some call me Tim

well, you'd be in the majority, at least in my neighborhood... but what you recommended in your first post are not what I think of as 'tights'. there are plenty of guys around here leaving far too little to the imagination...blech

Latent Runner

well, you'd be in the majority, at least in my neighborhood... but what you recommended in your first post are not what I think of as 'tights'. there are plenty of guys around here leaving far too little to the imagination...blech

The only time I typically dig out my tights are either when I'm cycling (which I don't do too much of these days), or if I'm going out to do some speed work.  For my LSD miles, loose fitting pants are the order of the day.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I love the Nike Pro Combat tights. These tights are very warm - have an extra layer of warm fuzzy goodness on the inside that my other tights do not have. I can wear these puppies with temps in the teens without the need for any layer of pants.

Underneath the tights I wear compression shorts, usually Nike Pro Combat as well. Keeps things in place.

If you're new to running, you might be surprised at what temperatures you can comfortably wear shorts. I wear shorts when temps are upwards of 35° (as long as there is no rain or wind).

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Feeling the growl again

I've always been a big fan of Sporthills.  Tapered fit, don't catch the wind as much and very sturdy.  The only time I wear tights is cold weather racing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mysecondnewname

Below mid 30's, I wear tights with the above mentioned wind boxers and an untucked long sleeve running top that covers everything.

Viola--everything left to the imagination Smile

Personally, the worst look I've seen with something like this is an old dude running a half that looked like he rolled off the set of "Sprockets".

Latent Runner

If you're new to running, you might be surprised at what temperatures you can comfortably wear shorts. I wear shorts when temps are upwards of 35° (as long as there is no rain or wind).

Yup, same here, rain, wind, and I'll add lots of cold slushy spring time mud are reasons I switch into long pants when the temperature is above the mid thirties.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

lagwagon

I've always been a big fan of Sporthills.  Tapered fit, don't catch the wind as much and very sturdy.  

nice leggings!

John Wood

Another big fan of Sporthill here.  Currently using the Nomad pants, not baggy and has zippered side pockets.

Usually pick up last years versions when they get closed out at the REI outlet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Personally, the worst look I've seen with something like this is an old dude running a half that looked like he rolled off the set of "Sprockets".

Now is the time on Schprockets ven ve dahnce!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay