Head Gear Help (Read 80 times)

I sweat a lot when I run.  I also have a shaved head, so I need good coverage so I don't burn.  Currently I have a couple Adidas hats which I like, but I grabbed a couple years back and I can't seem to find the same ones anywhere (probably discontinued).  I also have the problem of having a large head, so it's tough to find hats that fit.  Anyone have a suggestion of a good place to find running hats (online or brick and mortar)?  I've tried bandanas, but they don't soak up the sweat enough.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

I too have a shaved head. Is the sun really a big deal? How many hours a day do you spending running in the sun?

I only wear a hat when it's very cold. If it's very sunny and I'm planning a long run I might use a bit of sun cream. But most of the time I don't bother.

I suppose it depends a bit on wear you live. Probably more of an issue in the middle of the Sahara that it is here in sunny England Smile

Needs more cowbell!

I am not bald or of the shaved head variety, but I am very blonde and have had too many sunburned scalps after even just a short time outside.  I also am married to a melanoma survivor, so UV protection is kind of a big deal.  And putting sunblock anywhere above my eye level guarantees that it will get in my eyes...that shit burns and there is no such thing as "sweat-proof."  My pores laugh at these sport sunblocks' claims.

I wear a Buff for runs and as a helmet liner on the bike.  I have the UV protecting ones and really love them.  They wick sweat well.  I also have one wool one that I can double-up and wear as a hat or as a balaclava when it's cold.

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

I too have a shaved head. Is the sun really a big deal? How many hours a day do you spending running in the sun?

I only wear a hat when it's very cold. If it's very sunny and I'm planning a long run I might use a bit of sun cream. But most of the time I don't bother.

I suppose it depends a bit on wear you live. Probably more of an issue in the middle of the Sahara that it is here in sunny England Smile

Yeah I burn pretty quickly.  If I'm out for an hour+ run or walk I'll be toast.  Like I said, I'm using the hat for sun protection and sweat absorption.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

I have the Halo I Sweatband and it works well. I agree on hats, it is difficult when one size fits most, but Headsweats are okay.

2013 H1:  7 hours/week base.  Q3: Train for goal race.  Q4:  Goal Race.

I second the recommendation for a Buff.  I've got two of them, and they are basically all I wear now--heat, cold, sun, wind, whatever.  I've worn them as cold as 6F, hot as 84F.  I have hair now, but when I was shaving my head they were fantastic, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

I am not bald or of the shaved head variety, but I am very blonde and have had too many sunburned scalps after even just a short time outside.  I also am married to a melanoma survivor, so UV protection is kind of a big deal.  And putting sunblock anywhere above my eye level guarantees that it will get in my eyes...that shit burns and there is no such thing as "sweat-proof."  My pores laugh at these sport sunblocks' claims.

I wear a Buff for runs and as a helmet liner on the bike.  I have the UV protecting ones and really love them.  They wick sweat well.  I also have one wool one that I can double-up and wear as a hat or as a balaclava when it's cold.

So you run in the buff.  Interesting.

I have a shaved head also.  I normally wear a lightweight beanie from Columbia.  See link below*****  It is great for any cold temps. I have worn it even on 70-80 degree days without too much discomfort.  It absorbs sweat REALLY well and also helps hold in my headphones which always fall out.   On hotter days I am wearing some home made sweat band I made.  It works ok for now.  I have not had any burns on my scalp YET....

http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm?id=22986  *** Link to my Columbia beanie

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:37.16 9/08/13

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Just ordered 2 of these...you better be right!  Wink  I'm tired of a burnt head though!!  Stinkin' reddish-blonde hair!  Tongue

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

Needs more cowbell!

So you run in the buff.  Interesting.

I bike in the buff, too -- must explain all those cat-calls! Tongue

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Buffs are generally great equipment. Although I tend to use them in cold weather.