Back in the market for a camera (Read 2453 times)

Bluewing

I just went out and bought an Olympus Tough 3000 for running, among other activities that can be quite dangerous to cameras. Waterproof to 3m, shockproof to 1m, and freezeproof down to -10C or so, 12MP, 1GB built in memory, and does 720 HD video all at a little over 200 bucks. I like it so far. Smile
    keeponrunning

thanks for the photoshopping ideas..i'm downloading gimp at the moment.

only one piece of advice for cameras...DO NOT, and i mean DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE buy a Kodak.  They are a bugger to try and do anything with on the computer.  My mom did not follow my advice and bought my sister one, while i suggested fujifilm or canon, and i have had problems with it for 1.5 years.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm a Gimp user.  There's not much it can't do, but be prepared for a learning curve.  If you stick with it, though, you'll be an awesome photoshopper (lower case - sorry, Adobe, you're losing control of that trademark).
          I have a couple of Olympus Tough cameras and love them.  If you tend to subject your camera to water, impacts, etc, these are the way to go.  They aren't exceptional in picture quality or features, although both are certainly good.  One of them (forget the model number) has a feature where you can just tap the sides of the camera to operate it... great if you are in the water or wearing gloves.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Elly.

Z2, what do you use for extracting RAW?

Breeze Browser is a RAW converter and Capture One Pro is another.  I have read good things about Breeze Browser. 

I personally use Adobe Bridge in CS4, because I find the workflow easiest.  The biggest problem with CS4 is the cost.  If you could find it at an educational discount. 

I use RAW in all my work except the Striders stuff because of time and space.  But even with JPEGS, there is still a way to tweak shadows, highlights, saturation.  Even curves using Bridge.  

But I'm not Z2 ... sorry.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm a Gimp user.  

But the Gimp's sleeping...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

It took 4 pages to get to Pulp Fiction.  Ah well.  The movie is 16 years old now.  YIKES.

I have a couple of Olympus Tough cameras and love them.  If you tend to subject your camera to water, impacts, etc, these are the way to go.  They aren't exceptional in picture quality or features, although both are certainly good.  One of them (forget the model number) has a feature where you can just tap the sides of the camera to operate it... great if you are in the water or wearing gloves.

I also have the Olympus Tough camera and love it!  I bring it on all my trail runs.  It has an awesome sport mode that allows me to capture photos without really stopping.  It will even take video under water.  Love it.

It has the tap feature but I've never dedicated enough time to learn how to use it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But I'm not Z2 ... sorry.

Wink

Thanks for the info!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm a Gimp user.  There's not much it can't do, but be prepared for a learning curve.  If you stick with it, though, you'll be an awesome photoshopper (lower case - sorry, Adobe, you're losing control of that trademark).

I still need to climb that learning curve.

Elly.

One review:

"For now though, if you want the world's smallest and lightest shirt-pocket-sized (SPS) camera that shoots raw and comes in at under $500, the Canon Powershot S90 is the one to get."

Looks like via Amazon, Beach Camera has a deal where you get a bundle of extras for the lwoest internet price for the camera alone.  I have had excellent luck with Beach in the past.  Now I gotta scrounge the cash.  Maybe I can get me a donate button... Wink

Did you check B&H photo video.  They usually are in line with everybody else and very quick to ship. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

mldrabenstott

Olympus TOUGH series are great for durability. A friend dragged one from the back of a powerboat going 30MPH. No problem. Should be able to handle any chore if durability is an issue. Image quality is good. You're always going to sacrifice something to get the durability.

Canon's ultacompact is the 'digital elph'.  I've had two over the years.  The first one was circa 2002 (when 3 Mpix was the standard).  It did what I wanted it to do and was durable.  Towards the end of 2008, the images started getting blurry.

So I replaced it with the SD780 IS.  I'm pretty sure it has all the features you are looking for... it certainly has all the features I need.  Then again, I'm barely a photographer.  Anyway, definitely ultracompact and loaded with features including image stabilization (the IS in the name... which can be turned off).  It seems just as sturdy as the 2002 model I had, though I haven't beat it up to check.

It is now NOT the top of the line Elph camera... you can do better.  There's an SD1000 and an SD1200.  I don't know anything about them.  I do know you can still get the 780 for about 180-200 bucks.

If you want beat-the-crap-out-of-it durability in an ultra-compact, Olympus has a line of those.  And they can get wet... even dunkable... without giving up.

Cooney

Many pro photographers, including me, carry the Canon G9 or G10 as their point-and-shoot camera. It is not tiny but it does a really nice job, and it does shoot RAW. I convert in Adobe LightRoom and use Adobe Photoshop CS4 for retouching.

Imminent Catastrophe

Olympus Tough 6020. Waterproof, shockproof, great image quality. So far so good (a few weeks). Best thing is, I just stick it into a pocket and don't worry about protecting it, has a metal shutter that covers the lens when it's off.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Olympus Tough 6020. Waterproof, shockproof, great image quality. So far so good (a few weeks). Best thing is, I just stick it into a pocket and don't worry about protecting it, has a metal shutter that covers the lens when it's off.

How are the pics?  Looks ideal...

• Black Canyon 100k
                                • RRR
                                • Zane Grey 100k
                                • High Lonesome 100
                                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                                • The Bear 100
                                • Javelina Jundred (?)