Finished my first HM today! (Read 1712 times)

Jess Causley

I finished my first HM today and I had so much fun.

I started in the 2h30min estimated time group. The plan was to keep a 7 min/km speed to make sure I made it to the finishing line. But I realised my time was just over 6/km.  When I got to the hard part mentally (about 13 km), the 2h30min people got tired and I started overtaking. That was excellent for my mental state of mind and I could keep my speed up the whole way.

My only mistake was the finishing straight. I thought I could sprint really fast and I almost killed myself and had to jogg the last 100m.

In training I never run faster than 7min/km, so I don't know what happened. I have only been running since February, to beat post natal depression. And it sure has worked, I am hooked for life.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. 2:09 finish.

A couple of things to consider:

Your race pace was only 5 seconds off your 10k training pace. Image your time if you would have tapered. Long run 9 days out. Hard 10k  7 days out. I see you going <2 next time.

Congrats.Big grin

PS: Why did you pick 2:30 time group?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Jess Causley

I have never really ran under 6min/km and all my long runs have been 7 min/km. So I thought I wouldn't make it all the way if I ran any faster than 2:30.But I am glad I started with the 2:30 people, they were a nice bunch of people, slowed me down a fair bit the first few km, but that was good.

Next time I will aim for under 2 hours. I can't wait for next time.

Am I doing this right?

Nice work Jess.  Congrats on the finish.  I like hearing about "next time".  Sounds like you're hooked.

No excuses....

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have never really ran under 6min/km and all my long runs have been 7 min/km. So I thought I wouldn't make it all the way if I ran any faster than 2:30.But I am glad I started with the 2:30 people, they were a nice bunch of people, slowed me down a fair bit the first few km, but that was good.

Yes,being in the back is good. I have start there a few times. Always a great group.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Great job Jess! Congratulations!

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Feeling the growl again

. I have only been running since February, to beat post natal depression. And it sure has worked, I am hooked for life.

This is absolutely fantastic.  The rest is just a nice bonus.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's awesome, Jess!  Makes me smile to read of your success!

Jess Causley

Thank you!

Even my kids have started talking about coming along next year, to do the 2 km marathon (as they call it).I think I will do the HM a few more times before I try to do the full marathon. It was the most fun ever and I don't think a marathon would be as fun, unless you are really fit.

Fantastic!  Congrats!

congratulations what a great achievement, i did my first 1/2 back in May and was buzzing for hours afterwards, got a full marathon planned now in 7.5 weeks Smile keep up the great work!

Personal Race Records:

HM 1:52:18 (Bunbury 2011), 10km 50:57 (training run), 5km 23:39 (training run)

2011 Goals:
                        1st HM (22nd May), Complete my first marathon 

Congratualtions! I hope next time I will also send this post! And it is very nice to have people commenting and supporting.

Cheers

beingandrea

I have never really ran under 6min/km and all my long runs have been 7 min/km. So I thought I wouldn't make it all the way if I ran any faster than 2:30

Race day magic is awesome.  I can't run 3 miles at my HM pace in training, but can do that for 13 miles of a race.  I have to really work hard to run a single mile alone at my 5K pace.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have to really work hard to run a single mile alone at my 5K pace.

+1

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

keeponrunning

This is absolutely fantastic.  The rest is just a nice bonus.  Wink

From someone just recovering from depression, agreed!!!!!  Congrats!!!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022