Strained Gastrocnemius - How do I fix it? (Read 131 times)

cpaddock

I'm asking as my ortho was zero helping, only recommending I rest for four weeks after I have, twice, rested it for four weeks.

This injury came on suddenly, at the start of a run. I rested for ~3-4 weeks, and was able to run 20 miles per for about 3 weeks until it happened again. Same thing, instantly, suddenly, during running.

I did the same, tried starting up. It was fine for a mile, then started getting sore, then pain by the time I finished a slow 3 miles.

Am I simply not resting long enough? Would excessive walking and/or spinning prolong the healing process?

Really frustrated. I've already lost two months, really want to get back into the groove.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Have you figured out what is causing it? It might not be that you aren't resting it long enough, but that you are re-straining it. Are you doing any work to strengthen the muscles along the chain? Sometimes the place the injury occurs isn't necessarily what the problem is but part of compensation for other weakness. I hope that makes sense.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kilkee

runktrun

I don't have any personal experience, but plenty of anecdotes from other runners with similarly long healing times.  I've heard this called a "calf heart attack."  It could be a deeper micro tear in the muscle that feels better before it is truly healed.  I don't usually promote RW stuff, but they have a pretty good story and basic explanation here: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/calf-heart-attacks

The first line says it all.  "It's possible to diddle around with micro tears for months."  In addition to the foam rolling and massage you are doing, try resuming running with a walk/jog program on a flat surface to minimize the chance of any sudden stressors on your calf.  I don't agree with the article's assertion that this type of strain is caused by compartment syndrome, as CS is very rare and people can get the sharp pulling without any numbness or pressure associate with CS.  I would also suggest NOT stretching too much, but rather work on eccentric heel drops for the Achilles and basic leg strength and ankle ROM.  One of my good friends battled this for about a year, so unfortunately, your 2 month time frame does not seem outlandish, but hopefully with some more time off, you'll be back to running much sooner!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

bhearn

I don't have any personal experience, but plenty of anecdotes from other runners with similarly long healing times.  I've heard this called a "calf heart attack."  It could be a deeper micro tear in the muscle that feels better before it is truly healed.  I don't usually promote RW stuff, but they have a pretty good story and basic explanation here: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/calf-heart-attacks

The first line says it all.  "It's possible to diddle around with micro tears for months."  In addition to the foam rolling and massage you are doing, try resuming running with a walk/jog program on a flat surface to minimize the chance of any sudden stressors on your calf.  I don't agree with the article's assertion that this type of strain is caused by compartment syndrome, as CS is very rare and people can get the sharp pulling without any numbness or pressure associate with CS.  I would also suggest NOT stretching too much, but rather work on eccentric heel drops for the Achilles and basic leg strength and ankle ROM.  One of my good friends battled this for about a year, so unfortunately, your 2 month time frame does not seem outlandish, but hopefully with some more time off, you'll be back to running much sooner!

+1 to this. My wife had this earlier this year. Finally gone; now it's back to the usual Achilles crap.

cpaddock

Have you figured out what is causing it? It might not be that you aren't resting it long enough, but that you are re-straining it. Are you doing any work to strengthen the muscles along the chain? Sometimes the place the injury occurs isn't necessarily what the problem is but part of compensation for other weakness. I hope that makes sense.

I suppose that's worth considering, but I only feel pain when running and am not doing that any differently than the past 20 years, so not sure there's much I can do as far as diagnostics.

But your suggestion to strengthen the chain does indeed make sense. I did some digging around. This one suggested building up that area but also the hips and glutes. Seems to make sense. I have to believe it can't make it worse.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/7-easy-ways-to-treat-calf-pain-and-achilles-tendonitis

cpaddock

I've heard this called a "calf heart attack."  It could be a deeper micro tear in the muscle that feels better before it is truly healed.  I don't usually promote RW stuff, but they have a pretty good story and basic explanation here: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/calf-heart-attacks

The first line says it all.  "It's possible to diddle around with micro tears for months."  In addition to the foam rolling and massage you are doing, try resuming running with a walk/jog program on a flat surface to minimize the chance of any sudden stressors on your calf.  I would also suggest NOT stretching too much, but rather work on eccentric heel drops for the Achilles and basic leg strength and ankle ROM.  One of my good friends battled this for about a year, so unfortunately, your 2 month time frame does not seem outlandish, but hopefully with some more time off, you'll be back to running much sooner!

Interesting. It makes me wish I had a little more info from my doctor on the MRI. He gave me no feedback at all other than saying it was a strained gastro.

This seems worth a shot, particularly with the strength exercises. I found this, seems to make sense.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/7-easy-ways-to-treat-calf-pain-and-achilles-tendonitis

And I agree, the excessive stretching seems . . . excessive. I use a slantboard regularly as it is, so am dubious that doing more is really going to make a difference.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply!

kilkee

runktrun

You're welcome!  Yeah, if you are already stretching and don't really have a history of chronically tight legs that respond well to stretching, then more stretching may actually make things worse.  Deep massage is unlikely to hurt, though.

RunnersConnect.com and competitor.com provide some more detailed injury information + links to supporting studies.

Hope it heals soon!

this is my issue.   Have had a very close relationship with my gastro over the years, not always a positive relationship.  Doing well over last 2+ yrs until I experienced a very sharp painful tear in my left calf few weeks ago. Have continued running but have had to cut way back in mileage & intensity, especially hills.  Each day I do whatever my leg allows me to do.  very light stretching, few mns walking before I start the "jog".   started going to a PT (if you have insurance it might cover this) but missed some sessions because of road trip.  calling them today for new appt.     My issue really is having very tight inflexible hips, hamstrings & also feet.  So PT is working on excercises to strengthen & relax my hips, hamstrings, & calf muscles as well as deep massage (ouch!) & heat stimulation (aahhhh).   So what Canadian Meg says about strengthening the muscles along the chain is 100% gold.

combination of all the above,   Be very careful of your own stretching & especially the foam roller.  Both can be a part of the process but it can be  easy to do more harm than good

cpaddock

You're welcome!  Yeah, if you are already stretching and don't really have a history of chronically tight legs that respond well to stretching, then more stretching may actually make things worse.  Deep massage is unlikely to hurt, though.

RunnersConnect.com and competitor.com provide some more detailed injury information + links to supporting studies.

Hope it heals soon!

So far, so good. Three sessions so far, one mile of walk, one quarter jog at 10 min pace, X 4. I've been doing my normal calf stretches (I use a slant board) and bought the Stick for massage, which I do before and after running (and spinning, which I do on my off days).

The gastroc is sore as hell when I massage post workout. It doesn't feel detrimental, just incredibly sore, like it's severely bruised. I've also been doing the strength exercises listed here. Gluts were incredibly sore the next two days, better after the second session. Was surprised, it doesn't seem like much, so happy it's doing something.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to know if the "calf heart attack" author, John Parker, is *the* John L. Parker of "Once a Runner" fame, would you?

kilkee

runktrun

Glad things are progressing well, albeit slowly.  Keep the volume and intensity down until your soreness noticeably improves.

Ha, I have no idea if it's the same guy.  I love OaR and never heard of a connection between him and runners world.

It is likely the same author. He writes non fiction running books in addition to the above classic, including coauthoring a book with Scott Douglas, who is connected to RW. (looks like I've confused this with something else, the rest of it is true, though).

kilkee

runktrun

What's the Scott Douglas book?

kilkee

runktrun

Haha, ok.  He did author a HR training book and few other non-fiction ones, including contributing to Liquori's book.  In my opinion, John L. Parker is above writing for RW, though I think you're correct about some association...

It is likely the same author. He writes non fiction running books in addition to the above classic, including coauthoring a book with Scott Douglas, who is connected to RW. (looks like I've confused this with something else, the rest of it is true, though).