Saying "Hey!" and looking for motivation.... (Read 201 times)

Not certain I understand the question.

I understand you are discouraging everyone from buying by just recommending if it is bad, stay off the road.  I appreciate all the advice and caution, say someone sees this thread now or in the future and goes ahead with the decision to buy a set of spikes anyway.  My bottom line question......What is everyone's thoughts on best brand/model of spike devices/appliances?

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

an amazing likeness

My reply was not an overall condemnation, that was not the intent. It was my input to a specific question.

My bottom line question......What is everyone's thoughts on best brand/model of spike devices/appliances?

Probably a question best asked in a topic in the Gears and Wears section where people with experience will see it and offer feedback, versus here in an unrelated topic.

Here are some links to past discussions in Gears and Wears:  1 2

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

papopp

Hey,

If you don't mind, I will head down that c25k trail along with you.

Quick background---------------I have done this many times in the past, and the great thing with c25k is that it works.I have a file of race bibs(5ks,10,ks and a single un-satisfactory half marathon) dating back 18 years or so----but I first used the c25k plan 8 years ago.

I freely admidt----I don't like  running----I love being ABLE to run .  the past couple years I have been biking more and more---and running less and less---------and until yesterday I don't think I have run since April----so I am starting from scratch again.--

-I have been biking at least an hour a day ,every day for a couple years now---weather permitting and  that bike seat is beginning to cause "problems".

So---I have ordered a "noseless" bike seat and decided to mix it up again and run 3-4 days a week once again. w1d1 yesterday and absolutely appalled at how little correlation between biking and running-----------but REALLY looking forward to this (c25k) none-the less.

Regaurding your winter running question.------I don't run on pavement, EVER. I run outside, through the winter and use yaktraks. I get maybe 10 runs out of a pair---they do wear out and break, but they are easy on,easy off and you can bring along a spare. Screw shoes work even better but they are much more inconvenient in and out of the house and driving cars to the trail etc.

I will not run on a treadmill EVER---but I do have access to a indoor track that I can use  in the very worst circumstances.

ok, that said---pick up your pace ,because I am right on your heels !

Hey,

If you don't mind, I will head down that c25k trail along with you.

Quick background---------------I have done this many times in the past, and the great thing with c25k is that it works.I have a file of race bibs(5ks,10,ks and a single un-satisfactory half marathon) dating back 18 years or so----but I first used the c25k plan 8 years ago.

I freely admidt----I don't like  running----I love being ABLE to run .  the past couple years I have been biking more and more---and running less and less---------and until yesterday I don't think I have run since April----so I am starting from scratch again.--

-I have been biking at least an hour a day ,every day for a couple years now---weather permitting and  that bike seat is beginning to cause "problems".

So---I have ordered a "noseless" bike seat and decided to mix it up again and run 3-4 days a week once again. w1d1 yesterday and absolutely appalled at how little correlation between biking and running-----------but REALLY looking forward to this (c25k) none-the less.

Regaurding your winter running question.------I don't run on pavement, EVER. I run outside, through the winter and use yaktraks. I get maybe 10 runs out of a pair---they do wear out and break, but they are easy on,easy off and you can bring along a spare. Screw shoes work even better but they are much more inconvenient in and out of the house and driving cars to the trail etc.

I will not run on a treadmill EVER---but I do have access to a indoor track that I can use  in the very worst circumstances.

ok, that said---pick up your pace ,because I am right on your heels !

Cheers!!......and nice job on the C25K W1D1!!!  Today is my W2D3 and I am pretty much with you.....I neither hate running, nor do I absolutely love it either....I love being ABLE to run.  That may sound illogical to many, but let's just say "I get it".

Thanks for the Yaktraks recommendation.  I will rarely need them.  I have run since 2005 and all but three winters have been here in my hometown of Denver. I have only fallen 3 times in that period......one was ice related.  For the snowy roads/trails I do like the idea of a bit more security with having something like a Yaktracks and I will NEVER run on a treadmill.......I'd take a needle to the eyeball, a voluntary root canal, etc. before I do that.

Cheers and keep up the running!!!

papopp

w1d2 in the bag.---37 degrees here and halfway through it started snowing sideways. I actually like  running in those conditions sometimes----its like having an opponent.---weird fall here-----usually by now all the leaves are down, but this year its a mix----some trees bare and some still almost fully green.----at any rate no problems to report.

papopp

hey sean----how YOU doing.

W2D1 done and gone here. mud frozen so THAT is a plus. new bike seat arrived and installed so I hope to resume riding tomorrow. I have 4.7 inch wide tires so I can ride through quite a bit of mud and several inches of snow etc. been riding this bike dailey since may and looking forward to trying it out in winter conditions. hoping to run  every other day and ride on the days I don't run,  how is YOUR situation coming along?

papopp, I am doing well.  Just finished an early morning W5D3 and it felt awesome.......albeit at 30 degrees (F) and light snow.  I am very satisfied with my progress and optimistic I'll be running 12 to 20 mile weeks by the end of spring.  Thanks for checking in on me.....that kind of encouragement means a lot to me as work is pretty hectic as is home life.  All of which can be easy distractions to keep me from focusing on getting back to my running.

Cheers and have a great day everyone!!!

papopp

glad to here you are still moving forward. count your blessings on the 30 degree temps. its been down in the low teens here this week and we got 8-10 inches of snow. if you got w5d3 in it looks like I have about caught up to you. I did w5d3 yesterday.  I am trying to set my self up for running every other day so i do a c25k session every other day. Looks like I should complete the plan on January 2 w8d3 . my goal is to run every other day and bike on the days  that I don't run . starting in January I will add a few minutes per session each week  but I am not too concerned about total mileage as a goal .  I am planning to enter the " mileage game on this site just as a motivation back up, but my real goal is to run every other day.

Best wishes

Papopp, not surprised you caught up to me.  Like I said, things are hectic at home and work and I am just happy if I get three runs in each week.  I would love to get every other day, but that just aint going to happen.   That is great that you are hitting the bike every other day, too.  That kind of work will get you much farther and faster than my lazy ass.  Keep up the nice work.

Cheers and I hope everyone has happy holidays and a super New Year!!

papopp

sean,

w7d2 this morning. I may not run the fastest , or the farthest-----but I do have the first damn footprints in the snow today.

I understand the hectic thing . At age 55 I am semi retired AND my work is mostly seasonal so I have absolutely unlimited free time from now until late march AND after that I have considerable control of my daily schedule-----but it wasn't always this way .

My real problem at this point is that I think I am battling a kidney stone . Been there, done that , so if you will forgive the gallows humor----I know that "this to,shall pass"

see ya down the trail

Stephen